Sat 11-Sun 12 Jun: The Betfred League One Match Thread

1 hour ago, Quinskolar said:

Skolars totally dominant second half scoring 26 unanswered points. It must be a long time since the Skolras won three in a row. Fun stops with Keighley up next I guess. 

Sat top of the league alongside eventual promotion winners Whitehaven for the middle section of season after winning 7 on the bounce. Then went on to lose the next  7 on the bounce and failed to make play off's.

Only the eighth time Skolars have won three or more games in a row since they joined League One. 

As above, it’s a shame the inclusion of clubs ten or so years ago was so poorly planned and implemented, Coventry aside. 

• Like 1

As an established club of over 30yrs albeit in the south, they should beat the likes of Raiders, Cornwall although beating Oldham was good. Will hold judgement till the end of the season to see if they finish top of the expansion clubs.

On 11/06/2022 at 16:35, tim2 said:

It's a shame that the other Southern expansion teams didn't work out. If we'd had 3 or 4 more to add to the 4 most southerly teams then we could have operated League one as two conferences, with the teams playing their own conference twice and the the other conference teams once. This minimises the travel and allows teams away from the heartland more competitive games whilst still being able to test themselves against the established teams in the north. 

It would take money and long term thinking, both of which are in the rocking horse droppings category in rugby league. 

I dont think teams who make the decision to move to L1 want to play in a localised development league. yes its easier travel wise etc. but players and clubs want to pit themselves against the northern clubs. yes its toughest going sometimes especially when clubs hit harder times money wise but they recover and keep going. Skolars for one are to be admired. over 2/3rd of the squad have played in their and the wider London junior pathways. the same pathways that have produced internationals, NRL, SL,Ch & L1 players. without these levels this player pool would probably be lost. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, newbe said:

As an established club of over 30yrs albeit in the south, they should beat the likes of Raiders, Cornwall although beating Oldham was good. Will hold judgement till the end of the season to see if they finish top of the expansion clubs.

dont think thats very fair especially give how much turmoil the Broncos poaching the clubs coach & 10+ players pre season. its great how quickly Joe Abu has turned it around. especially with 10+ players who were playing U16s & A team at the club just a few years ago.

Looks like our mid-season slump has continued......just when we needed to get back on track. By the look of the swinton game so far that'll knock us back to third. Muzza needs to get a grip on the squad  and get back to winning ways sharpish..

• Like 2

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

1 hour ago, IM2 said:

I dont think teams who make the decision to move to L1 want to play in a localised development league. yes its easier travel wise etc. but players and clubs want to pit themselves against the northern clubs.

That's not what I suggested. try reading it again.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Rather sub-optimal showing from a Midlands side missing various key players through injury etc. We had them pinned on their own line for about 10 minutes but they broke out to open the scoring and that's all the Hurricanes wrote.

Oldham were awesome though and their strength and speed of thought was too much to hande. Fair play to them for sorting out their problems. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jughead said:

Oldham winning 66-0 was a surprise, which says a lot about Oldham’s season and the development of the Hurricanes. 

I expected Oldham to bounce back from their Skolars defeat & really step up a gear so expected them to put in a very strong performance against Midlands, but from what i have seen of Midlands i thought today’s game would  have been a evenly matched closely fought contest that could have gone either way.

Did Oldham just play exceptionally well? or were their loan/DR ?

Did Midlands just have an off day? or injuries etc...

No ulterior motive just genuine question - curious to hear from people who watched the game.

4 minutes ago, dead man inc said:

I expected Oldham to bounce back from their Skolars defeat & really step up a gear so expected them to put in a very strong performance against Midlands, but from what i have seen of Midlands i thought today’s game would  have been a evenly matched closely fought contest that could have gone either way.

No ulterior motive just genuine question - curious to hear from people who watched the game.

Must have been typing this at exactly same time as Tim York’s was putting up his post 😂😂😂

Thank you Tim for your very informative post 👍🏻

Edited by dead man inc

Just now, dead man inc said:

I haven't checked but someone told me Oldham had at least 6 loan players. Hurricanes had Jose Kenga (Swinton) and Jack Townend + George Collins (Castleford) but were missing 8 first team lads. My guess is that Oldham had trained with their guests but we didn't get the chance.

And Oldham did realy play exceptionally well. 

1 hour ago, Yorks Tim said:

I haven't checked but someone told me Oldham had at least 6 loan players. Hurricanes had Jose Kenga (Swinton) and Jack Townend + George Collins (Castleford) but were missing 8 first team lads. My guess is that Oldham had trained with their guests but we didn't get the chance.

And Oldham did realy play exceptionally well. 

Most of these lads are at Oldham for the season.

Edited by sheddingswasus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, FearNothing said:

Looks like our mid-season slump has continued......just when we needed to get back on track. By the look of the swinton game so far that'll knock us back to third. Muzza needs to get a grip on the squad  and get back to winning ways sharpish..

I wasn't there this week (I was at Wales Wheelchair RL training camp) but, it seems like we lost the second half. Our discipline needs looking at because Hunslet scored when we had a man sin-binned. We keep losing our players to the refs decision and paying the price......again I wasn't there but read the refs name and despaired strait away.....our favourite ref who gave Hunslet a game previously when a drop goal attempt went UNDER the crossbar but Mr. Sweet gave it anyway!

Edited by gogledd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gogledd said:

I wasn't there this week (I was at Wales Wheelchair RL training camp) but, it seems like we lost the second half. Our discipline needs looking at because Hunslet scored when we had a man sin-binned. We keep losing our players to the refs decision and paying the price......again I wasn't there but read the refs name and despaired strait away.....our favourite ref who gave Hunslet a game previously when a drop goal attempt went UNDER the crossbar but Mr. Sweet gave it anyway!

The sin binning was fair enough. Holding down when Hunslet were 1m out trying to play the ball.

It seems this referee is becoming known for slightly "eccentric" decisions. Yesterday,a Crusaders' kick off travelled forward no more than 5m,the NWC player took possession and was allowed to play on to everybody's amazement.

Well done to your fans who cheered the team on to the end.

Much improved display by Hunslet,I hope we have turned a corner after some shockers.

• Thanks 1