Mon 13 Jun: Ch: Leigh Centurions v Featherstone Rovers KO 19:45 (Premier Sports)

Who will win?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leigh Centurions
    • Featherstone Rovers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/06/22 at 19:15

Despite the result I wouldn't be too disheartened if I was a Fev fan. They blew a LOT of chances last night and on another day if a few of those get converted into tries then who knows what could have happened.

Definitely the underdogs though and I have to say that their squad looks a little unbalanced to me. Why sign Ford?

4 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

We let Chizzy go because we couldnt fit him in our half backs.Then go and sign a 34 year old half back who can pass a ball and that's about it.

All part of the "plan" apparently. Don't question the almighty. He's won Super League you know.

48 minutes ago, Nothus said:

Despite the result I wouldn't be too disheartened if I was a Fev fan. They blew a LOT of chances last night and on another day if a few of those get converted into tries then who knows what could have happened.

Definitely the underdogs though and I have to say that their squad looks a little unbalanced to me. Why sign Ford?

Apparently Leigh were offered and rejected him before he went to Fev.

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

Can't fathom it. The bloke used to tear us apart while wearing an immaculately pressed dinner suit.

He's not exactly being used as intended. Some of Big Mac's selection decisions really puzzle me.

At one point last night Fev had Jacks, Smith, Ford, Wildie, Jones and Keirallah on at the same time with only one front rower(Esseh). It felt a lot like watching Leigh last year when we were resorting to playing Nathan Peats at prop forward and much like Leigh in 21, the fev squad as a whole looks really unbalanced without a cohesive recruitment plan other than 'sign whoever is available'.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

At one point last night Fev had Jacks, Smith, Ford, Wildie, Jones and Keirallah on at the same time with only one front rower(Esseh). It felt a lot like watching Leigh last year when we were resorting to playing Nathan Peats at prop forward and much like Leigh in 21, the fev squad as a whole looks really unbalanced without a cohesive recruitment plan other than 'sign whoever is available'.

Meanwhile, there's a strong rumour that Craig Hall and Mac have had a falling out and he's headed for the exit. 

7 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Nail on the head Rob regarding signings. I'd argue that only Kheirallah, Briscoe and Jacks are improvements on what we had last year.

Jones has played well in the centre when needed to but not picking Hall was an odd one. Ford has offered nothing since he signed.

Although, in defence of having all those pivots on the field our middles injury list is Lockwood, Bussey, JSL, Cuthbertson, Kopczak (as of last night), Hepi (as of last night). I think the last 20 minutes was pretty much if you can move you're on the field.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Meanwhile, there's a strong rumour that Craig Hall and Mac have had a falling out and he's headed for the exit. 

That's certainly doing the rounds round Featherstone today.

Back to the game. I didn't see it, nor did I listen to it. Does anyone who did, have a genuinely independent view of the game,  one that looks at the game, not the ref, not the presentation or commentary, in addition the the League Express coverage?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nothus said:

Probably the main concern is that Tottenham was a similar story, but they just blew chances probably because they rushed things against an aggressive defence. If they can sort that out they can find themselves over a score ahead and that will be a different challenge for Leigh, once Fev have momentum.

The winger in particular had a shocker. When the kick off went 10 and he just patted it into touch anyway, kind of summed his night up. 

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Back to the game. I didn't see it, nor did I listen to it. Does anyone who did, have a genuinely independent view of the game,  one that looks at the game, not the ref, not the presentation or commentary, in addition the the League Express coverage?

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Whilst being a Fev fan, I wish to state that I do not wear rose tinted spectacles and can appreciate good rugby from whichever source. To put it bluntly, Fev, apart from a few flashes of brilliance, were outplayed and out muscled throughout the game. Our forwards lack size and created nothing for the halves. The signing of Ford has been discussed so I will not comment further. Much work to do IMO.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

In simple terms, Leigh discovered at the end of the first half at Spurs that going more direct up the belly of Fev was having a big impact and this continued into Monday's game. Fev look really unbalanced as a squad and Leigh can soften them up middle and get them on the edges at the moment. That was the story of Monday's game.

They play at Summer Bash and Fev need to come up with a plan to stop Leigh's go forward. Easier said than done.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Michael Bates said:

Nail on the head Rob regarding signings. I'd argue that only Kheirallah, Briscoe and Jacks are improvements on what we had last year.

Jones has played well in the centre when needed to but not picking Hall was an odd one. Ford has offered nothing since he signed.

Although, in defence of having all those pivots on the field our middles injury list is Lockwood, Bussey, JSL, Cuthbertson, Kopczak (as of last night), Hepi (as of last night). I think the last 20 minutes was pretty much if you can move you're on the field.

I'd agree on those 3, although as an outsider looking in it's baffling to see Kheirallah limping through the past 4/5 games with Pickersgill being sent out on loan(and went off injured at Bradford). Seems like the squad management could be a lot better from McDermott who seems to be just going for his preferred players regardless of any knocks or niggles they are carrying. Could be a big risk come the business end of the season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

In simple terms, Leigh discovered at the end of the first half at Spurs that going more direct up the belly of Fev was having a big impact and this continued into Monday's game. Fev look really unbalanced as a squad and Leigh can soften them up middle and get them on the edges at the moment. That was the story of Monday's game.

They play at Summer Bash and Fev need to come up with a plan to stop Leigh's go forward. Easier said than done.

To be honest, i think that's been very much the game plan all season from Lam, it's just that some teams have taken longer to breakdown than others. The philosophy has been defence and big carries down the middle, with more offloads and off the cuff play as the opposition tires. 

A big factor in our loss in round 2 for me was that our pack didn't have the conditioning in them(or the additional recruits) to have the same impact. In round 2 Sidlow was injured the week prior and didn't play, Chris Green broke his arm in the first set and Amone/Asiata both only arrived very late into preseason so were unfit and facing extended stints. 

2 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

To be honest, i think that's been very much the game plan all season from Lam, it's just that some teams have taken longer to breakdown than others. The philosophy has been defence and big carries down the middle, with more offloads and off the cuff play as the opposition tires. 

A big factor in our loss in round 2 for me was that our pack didn't have the conditioning in them(or the additional recruits) to have the same impact. In round 2 Sidlow was injured the week prior and didn't play, Chris Green broke his arm in the first set and Amone/Asiata both only arrived very late into preseason so were unfit and facing extended stints. 

Plus they'd never seen mud before 

• Haha 2