Match thread: Championship Rd 15. Leigh v Featherstone Rovers. Monday 13th June 2022.

Get Daryl Powell back.   Put me at centre in place of Leilua.  Yes it would be replacing a fat useless waste of space with another but at least I'd look like I gave a sh*t.  Cost us a try at both ends already - and Hall gets dropped.  Absolutely ridiculous.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

Get Daryl Powell back.   Put me at centre in place of Leilua.  Yes it would be replacing a fat useless waste of space with another but at least I'd look like I gave a sh*t.  Cost us a try at both ends already - and Hall gets dropped.  Absolutely ridiculous.

Brian Mc out !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

Is this Johnathan Ford the same bloke that played for Toulouse? He's done absolutely nothing since signing.

I just dont see him as an impact player off the bench.  He either is in the 13 or not at all for me.

• Like 1

simply as I keep saying rovers forwards are no where near leigh standards its either get the cheque book out or stay in the championship but I honestly believe with a fit team and 3 good strong forwards we could reach superleague.

• Like 3

Well beaten by a much superior Leigh side the score was about right.Can't fault the players for effort they put all they had into the game.Thought our kicking game was very poor apart from the one for our first try.Leigh wingers come inside while defending we should have kicked behind them for our wingers.When Davies got clobbered if Smith had kicked for the corner we would have had a better chance.Jones played well in the centre but we missed his pace down the middle.Why did we sign Cuthbertson when he never plays and we have so many old uns in the pack.Ford looks a poor signing we could have done with 2 middle forwards instead.Leigh have signed better players than us and whoever is in charge of recruitment needs to take responsibility.Hepi tries his heart out but is no where near big enough why did we sign him and not a big un.Jacks played well till his injury and for a change Ferres put himself about.Stand out for us for his hard work was Hellewell.L said he wasn't good enough earlier in the season but i am pleased to say he has proved me wrong.Right positives we know what we need  a centre a winger and two big middles.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lingaro said:

we’ve got a centre but he’s injured.  8 Points in front of the sticks is unforgivable.

I know Hardcastle is well worth his place but by the time he is back and up to match fitness the season will be nearly over.Some of our signings have not come off but we are a well run club with plenty off cash(THE LAND) so Mark needs to spend and get three or four players in pronto.Juries our on Mac he needs to find a way to beat Leigh which will not be straightforward.

It's not McDermott who is gifting points through daft plays we haven't seen all season.

The obvious problem we have dealing with kicks, whether they be on the line or from kick off's,  are not new to this season.

It's really easy to blame the coach, especially with such a horrific injury list limiting his options. Looking at the line ups we were always going to struggle in the forwards. Losing more to injury only adds to the problems.

Cannot win matches , with schoolboy errors, against a very good side. IF Leigh go up they will have to again change half the team as they have far to many overseas players on their books.

Some strange decisions from Hicks as usual.

• Like 1

A great game from a neutrals point of view. Featherstone were absolutely awesome in defence in my opinion. Jon Davis was fantastic. I agree with a previous poster Leilua does not play as the "sharpest" tack in the box.

In the first half with smarter finishing, the score could have been so different.

Featherstone should not be down after tonight, there is a long way to go. And as we were always told..you cannot score if you do not have the ball in your hands.

Just an observation. Brian Macs interview prior to the game does not put the game of Rugby League in a good light..It was embarrassing and cringeworthy to watch...Just like the interview he gave when he was with Toronto. He obviously thinks that he is much bigger than the game itself. His interview after the game was better. Come on Brian..interviews like that are not "entertainment".

Well done Featherstone  tonight.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The effort was much better than the last encounter.

When we weren't gifting them easy meters through our own stupidity, we stood up to their pack.

Gale had a shocker, his confidence seems absolutely shot this season.

Leilua is a pudding and is stealing a wage.

What is the point of Jono Ford? Barely used and brain farts galore when he does come on.

Keralliah (spelling?) clearly carrying a knock. Why did we play him last week and then send Pickersgill out on loan? 

Some of Brian Mac's decisions really do baffle me.

• Like 6

We are a top notch team who put a hard nights graft in against a very good side. My only worry is the gossip surrounding Hall. You can't leave your best talent out if you want super League. Well done Rovers and Well done Leigh. I think for the neutral that would have gone down well.

• Like 2

Super game to watch and a decent crowd of 4300 to watch it.

Fev blew some chances like they did Spurs, and they can run some great Lines and score some great tries. Game could have easily been 46-36.

Still plenty of games to go yet. Leighs pack is Brutal and every hit is a hard one, no doubt about that but that can also go against you at times. 

Brush yourselves off and go again. I still think both sides will lose more before the League season finishes.

9 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Where is The Phantom Horseman when you need his comments.That's what i need to know.

Not sure anyone needs my comments senttoffagain! But they usually end up getting them anyway.

I was disappointed last night like everyone else but also proud of our effort.  I had been pessimistic about our prospects earlier in this thread and in that respect the game went as I had expected, but I thought we had a right dig in the circumstances, especially when we lost Kopczak fairly early and then at least three more of our players got knocks which would have seen them go off in most games.

We all react differently to games, personally I tend not to get upset unless we didn't give 100% and that definitely wasn't the case yesterday. I get that others may feel differently.

I think the comments from neutrals here and on the General forum are telling, most of them were enthralled by what was a brutal game that had a bit of everything. We're a really good team at this level, it's just that for the third year running we have come up against an exceptional one, and in this case, one that seems to have bottomless reserves of cash.

We are behind them at the moment, there's no doubt of that. They are a really strong team, have probably spent more than some SL teams and it shows (and that £400k parachute payment must have helped, not that they seem to need it). They have a circle around all the fixtures against us as we are their only obstacle. I think they produced a better performance against us than Catalans did in the Cup, for instance, and we were all full of praise for our effort that day.

If we can reach the final with a reasonably healthy team I still think we'll have a shot at them - if we had scored when we had a good attacking position at 18-12, I would have fancied our chances because they were looking rattled, and their energy levels looked as low as ours.

I will say one thing as some people have been criticising individuals, I thought Junior Moors was absolutely fantastic (again) last night. I think he played for about 70 minutes and only went off when the game was gone, and as well as defending strongly all game he was first receiver and either taking the ball in or linking with this halves time after time. John Asiata got the man of the match and rightly so, he's a terrific player and was a regular NRL starter and is only playing in the Championship because of his vaccine situation, but if Moors had been on the winning team everyone would have been talking about him.

Week off comes at a good time, chance to regroup, assess our injuries, and focus on the next set of games and then the Summer Bash.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 9

Thought that the lads put a massive effort in last night, which only petered out as injuries took there till. To compete with Leigh though, I think we'd need to do a bit more recruiting. The pack needs a bit more go forward, and we need better on the wing. However, it's not impossible that we can find that little bit extra and bridge the current gap.

• Like 2