Match thread: Championship Rd 15. Leigh v Featherstone Rovers. Monday 13th June 2022.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Not sure anyone needs my comments senttoffagain! But they usually end up getting them anyway.

I was disappointed last night like everyone else but also proud of our effort.  I had been pessimistic about our prospects earlier in this thread and in that respect the game went as I had expected, but I thought we had a right dig in the circumstances, especially when we lost Kopczak fairly early and then at least three more of our players got knocks which would have seen them go off in most games.

We all react differently to games, personally I tend not to get upset unless we didn't give 100% and that definitely wasn't the case yesterday. I get that others may feel differently.

I think the comments from neutrals here and on the General forum are telling, most of them were enthralled by what was a brutal game that had a bit of everything. We're a really good team at this level, it's just that for the third year running we have come up against an exceptional one, and in this case, one that seems to have bottomless reserves of cash.

We are behind them at the moment, there's no doubt of that. They are a really strong team, have probably spent more than some SL teams and it shows (and that £400k parachute payment must have helped, not that they seem to need it). They have a circle around all the fixtures against us as we are their only obstacle. I think they produced a better performance against us than Catalans did in the Cup, for instance, and we were all full of praise for our effort that day.

If we can reach the final with a reasonably healthy team I still think we'll have a shot at them - if we had scored when we had a good attacking position at 18-12, I would have fancied our chances because they were looking rattled, and their energy levels looked as low as ours.

I will say one thing as some people have been criticising individuals, I thought Junior Moors was absolutely fantastic (again) last night. I think he played for about 70 minutes and only went off when the game was gone, and as well as defending strongly all game he was first receiver and either taking the ball in or linking with this halves time after time. John Asiata got the man of the match and rightly so, he's a terrific player and was a regular NRL starter and is only playing in the Championship because of his vaccine situation, but if Moors had been on the winning team everyone would have been talking about him.

Week off comes at a good time, chance to regroup, assess our injuries, and focus on the next set of games and then the Summer Bash.

Yes at 18-12 the game looked like swinging towards Fev at that point but we were always at maximum trying to keep them at bay. They are a terrific and powerful side and a crowd of 4226 watching two championship sides from either side of the Pennines on a Monday night and on TV puts some of the lower Super League attendances to shame. How many would that game attracted on a Sunday afternoon?

I'm definitely not too down about yesterday. No doubt Leigh are a very good side that play to a particular plan and it works for them. However, I still think, that given a fully fit team, a fair wind, and our fair share of refereeing decisions they are definitely beatable. And I still think BM is the man to put the plan into place that will nullify their go forward. They also think they are unbeatable now, and that too can be an Achilles heel. We go again!

• Like 5

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

38 minutes ago, roversspud said:

I'm definitely not too down about yesterday. No doubt Leigh are a very good side that play to a particular plan and it works for them. However, I still think, that given a fully fit team, a fair wind, and our fair share of refereeing decisions they are definitely beatable. And I still think BM is the man to put the plan into place that will nullify their go forward. They also think they are unbeatable now, and that too can be an Achilles heel. We go again!

What is the plan though? We've played them twice now, both times our pack has been dominated and their fitness has shown later on. We seem to be axing any idea of off the cuff rugby (Chisholm, Hall). So is the plan hope our 30+ year old pack stays fit and at the end of the season in a one off game somehow dominates theirs?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dog forever said:

Yes they do.  Having said that, some teams don't have , and can't afford a bigger squad to allow for an abundance of injuries. 

The thing is Dog forever we can't influence anything at Batley.(good team as they are) But do you expect us to say goodbye to Mark Campbell and have no ambition.

18 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

The thing is Dog forever we can't influence anything at Batley.(good team as they are) But do you expect us to say goodbye to Mark Campbell and have no ambition.

Absolutely not. I think fev are having another great season   and deserve a shot at sl. My post was saying in a nut shell some teams and supporters alike need to count their blessings. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Bates said:

What is the plan though? We've played them twice now, both times our pack has been dominated and their fitness has shown later on. We seem to be axing any idea of off the cuff rugby (Chisholm, Hall). So is the plan hope our 30+ year old pack stays fit and at the end of the season in a one off game somehow dominates theirs?

Why not go and ask the coach? On the occasions I have spoken with him he was very polite and refreshingly honest about where he sees the club and its ambitions. I doubt he would be any less with you. 

• Like 1

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

4 minutes ago, roversspud said:

Why not go and ask the coach? On the occasions I have spoken with him he was very polite and refreshingly honest about where he sees the club and its ambitions. I doubt he would be any less with you. 

His record of winning Grand Finals speaks for its self. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coolie said:

Thank you Featherstone Rovers for totally saving my weekend from been a total disaster. 

🤔😉😉😉😉

Coolie, Fev fans need to realise there's always somebody worse off than themselves....and you are testimony to that😄😄😄. It's scandalous losing a game but sadly in your case a lot of games. If Liam Finn is half as good a coach as he was a player you could be in for a treat yet😁

• Like 6

Observation about the after effects of the match

1. We now have more injuries. Koppy, Killer. Jacks and Hepi

2 Likely suspensions. Wildie & Eseh

Where do  we go from here to be able to carry on regardless ?

Over to you BM

2 hours ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Coolie, Fev fans need to realise there's always somebody worse off than themselves....and you are testimony to that😄😄😄. It's scandalous losing a game but sadly in your case a lot of games. If Liam Finn is half as good a coach as he was a player you could be in for a treat yet😁

Things are pretty dire at ours

And you've to find solace where you can my friend🤔

Premier sport on Monday night gave me a shot in the arm and cheered me up🤔

To laugh at others you first have to laugh at your self.. Oh and I am🤔

This is all my fault

Found a genie in a bottle

Gave it a rub... Yorkshire genie🤔

And only gave me one wish

I said "I want my team to be as good as Warrington".. In a second, big puff of smoke "your wish is granted" 

And the rest is history 🤔🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 3

Word has it🤔

From a Featherstone fan I sat with in Glasshoughton Sports & Social last Friday watching the Salford Vs Wigan game🤔

Told me big Mac has had a massive bust up with Hall and told him he'll never play for the club again🤔

Owners falling out as well 🤔

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I posted last Thursday that it would serve us right if Pickersgill picked up a bad injury.Lets hope he is OK we may need him.With so many injured our star signing Ford may start against Batley.

Ford really needs to start to have an impact... And he's not really a bench warmer🤔