Kristian Woolf in running for New Warriors head coach job.

He was linked, briefly, with Wests last year before they decided to stick with Maguire and has been linked with the assistant job at the Dolphins back in Queensland previously so it is no surprise that he’s linked with the Warriors now. 

I’m completely resigned to losing him, it comes with the territory when appointing an Australian and Woolf’s proved his worth here, so is deserving of a job in Australia. 

• Like 1

It says a lot about the Warriors that they took on a coach who is now refusing to relocate to New Zealand.

I would think Woolf would be a good fit given his long association with Tonga. If the Warriors are to benefit from the juniors in New Zealand, they really need a coach who understands and can work with the culture

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DavidM said:

Wests would be a better gig 

They are both poisonous. I don’t rate the Tigers for much. At least the Warriors will be back home again.

Then again, who would want to live in Auckland over Sydney? On that basis, yes, Wests would be a better gig.

13 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

They are both poisonous. I don’t rate the Tigers for much. At least the Warriors will be back home again.

Then again, who would want to live in Auckland over Sydney? On that basis, yes, Wests would be a better gig.

Yes , very big projects with no short term solutions 

23 minutes ago, M j M said:

Has Woolf got any track record of turning a club around as opposed to inheriting one where his predecessor did the hardest work?

He's got a track record of turning a bunch of individuals like the Tongan national team into a hardened unit that nilled Australia in the second half of their win and squeezed out GB. 

• Like 2

The Kiwi press have also been running a similar story claiming Woolf has been offered the Warriors job, though i take their story with a pinch of salt as they also claimed he'd be bringing several Saints players with him like Dodd, Welsby & Knowles - the same 3 who have all recently signed contract extensions to stay at Saints !!!

• Like 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

33 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

Woolf out, Price in. ‘Entertainers’ tag, in the bin. 🙏

Keep in touch, DS, and we'll let you know when the Poet Laureate's position becomes vacant!

• Haha 1

I enjoyed the interview with Nathan Brown on 360 . Whatever his merits as a coach he does come across as a good guy . Blame my kids for my coaching career ending , they won’t travel !

On 07/06/2022 at 19:39, Jughead said:

He was linked, briefly, with Wests last year before they decided to stick with Maguire and has been linked with the assistant job at the Dolphins back in Queensland previously so it is no surprise that he’s linked with the Warriors now. 

I’m completely resigned to losing him, it comes with the territory when appointing an Australian and Woolf’s proved his worth here, so is deserving of a job in Australia. 

Has he really proved his worth?

He was handed what was clearly the best team in the league and I can't see that he has improved them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Scubby said:

He's got a track record of turning a bunch of individuals like the Tongan national team into a hardened unit that nilled Australia in the second half of their win and squeezed out GB. 

Another way to look at it is that Tonga were losing to the likes of PNG and Samoa under Woolfe until the 2017 World Cup when Taumalolo, Tupou, Fifita, Taukeiaho, Ma’u, Hopoate, Jennings and co declared for Tonga.

Not so much transforming individuals as being given an entirely new set of top line elite hardened individuals to pick from, some of which would have walked onto any team.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Another way to look at it is that Tonga were losing to the likes of PNG and Samoa under Woolfe until the 2017 World Cup when Taumalolo, Tupou, Fifita, Taukeiaho, Ma’u, Hopoate, Jennings and co declared for Tonga.

Not so much transforming individuals as being given an entirely new set of top line elite hardened individuals to pick from, some of which would have walked onto any team.

The reason many of those top players switched to Tonga was because of Woolf

• Haha 3

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

3 hours ago, Damien said:

Why are Leeds and Warrington so #### then if it is that easy? To beat the Kangaroos, Kiwis and GB with underwhelming half backs most of the time is a brilliant achievement.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Saint Toppy said:

The reason many of those top players switched to Tonga was because of Woolf

Its not like you to be biased when it comes to Saints but of course it could be that.

Or it could be that Jason Taumalolo played for Tonga as a kid in the 2013 World Cup, before Woolf was in charge, and then decided to return to them in 2017. As the best player in the world that then inspired many others and talked others into doing the same. And the fact that many Kiwis had fallen out with David Kidwell, who was coach of NZ, and no longer wanted to play for him. Oh and maybe some people just actually wanted to play for the country of their heritage anyway.