London (H)

Wakefield Ram

11 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

1. Hall - Reserve overall judgement but did not improve the team today

2. Blackmore - Same old mouthing off and knock on’s please get shut

3. Dixon - Fair performance with his limited abilities. 

4. Greensmith - Just Greensmith 

5. Gabriel- Steady

6. Sykes - Thanks for your service. 

7. Beharrel - London left edge capitulated more than once. No brains to keep going at it. If you booked a cruise you would not want him as the ship’s captain.

8. Beckett - Get’s left of floor too much. Offers no attack threat. 

9. Dom Speakman - Non descript

10. Harry Kidd - Jumps around displaying excited enthusiasm. Offers nowt.

11. Adam Ryder - There is a reason why he has never played in the elite league.

12. Michael Knowles - Thanks for your service 

13. Morris - Steady does his best.

14. Ross Peltier - Decent bursts. Decent wage for 20 mins per week

15. Robson Stevens - Will never make it. Soft plodder.

16. Luke Kirby - Back off injury issues so reserve judgement 

17. Reece Butterworth - Just Reece. 

Cheers

Can't argue with any of that. Can't wait for the new coach hopefully he'll bring some players in,if not I wish him good luck trying to get a tune out of this squad. 

• Like 1

I cannot really comment on the game as I was working and had to miss. 
Im not surprised by the result one bit,it’s time to face facts that the team is where it is because the squad just isn’t good enough. Chances have been missed to win games over the season and we are where we are. 
a new coach might get a little more out of the group but will it be enough to stay up I don’t think so. 
The assessment of the players above is pretty accurate,the question that needs answering is which players you keep if/when league 1 comes bearing in mind the budget will be smaller.I doubt many will pick up a championship contract elsewhere and signing championship players to drop down a league simply won’t happen without a huge injection of cash and a Vision for progression. 

17 minutes ago, Outside view said:

I cannot really comment on the game as I was working and had to miss. 
Im not surprised by the result one bit,it’s time to face facts that the team is where it is because the squad just isn’t good enough. Chances have been missed to win games over the season and we are where we are. 
a new coach might get a little more out of the group but will it be enough to stay up I don’t think so. 
The assessment of the players above is pretty accurate,the question that needs answering is which players you keep if/when league 1 comes bearing in mind the budget will be smaller.I doubt many will pick up a championship contract elsewhere and signing championship players to drop down a league simply won’t happen without a huge injection of cash and a Vision for progression. 

Realistically, how many Championship clubs would sign any of our players? Gabriel, Ryder. 

29 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Realistically, how many Championship clubs would sign any of our players? Gabriel, Ryder. 

It all depends on which clubs are promoted. Keighley look a shoe in for top spot but after that it’s a lottery. You could make a case for Swinton,NWC,Doncaster,Hunslet 

if either of the two Yorkshire clubs came up there would be a fair bit of interest in our players.

how do you feel a team like this would fair in league 1

Turner

Carr

Greensmith

Graham

Dixon

Sweeting

Berharrel

Peltier

Butterworth

Beckitt

Magrin

TBC

Smith

Schofield

Walker

ive left out Ryder and Gabriel on the grounds they might get picked up whilst Knowles/Sykes should stand aside and retire. Add a 3/4 players to that squad and 
Imo that’s a good base to start from without  it costing the earth and would be more than good enough to make the top 2. There’s plenty of improvers in that list that just need games under there belts in a league that’s more forgiving. Berharrel,Sweeting and Greensmith have already proven they can be top players in league 1 

14 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

1. Hall - Reserve overall judgement but did not improve the team today

2. Blackmore - Same old mouthing off and knock on’s please get shut

3. Dixon - Fair performance with his limited abilities. 

4. Greensmith - Just Greensmith 

5. Gabriel- Steady

6. Sykes - Thanks for your service. 

7. Beharrel - London left edge capitulated more than once. No brains to keep going at it. If you booked a cruise you would not want him as the ship’s captain.

8. Beckett - Get’s left of floor too much. Offers no attack threat. 

9. Dom Speakman - Non descript

10. Harry Kidd - Jumps around displaying excited enthusiasm. Offers nowt.

11. Adam Ryder - There is a reason why he has never played in the elite league.

12. Michael Knowles - Thanks for your service 

13. Morris - Steady does his best.

14. Ross Peltier - Decent bursts. Decent wage for 20 mins per week

15. Robson Stevens - Will never make it. Soft plodder.

16. Luke Kirby - Back off injury issues so reserve judgement 

17. Reece Butterworth - Just Reece. 

Cheers

Can't argue with any of that. Can't wait for the new coach hopefully he'll bring some players in,if not I wish him good luck trying to get a tune out of this squad. 

I was talking to a female London supporter at the end of the game and I said I thought it was two poor teams and she said It was the one of the worst London side she'd seen,I then replied your lucky this is the worst Dewsbury side I've seen since erm........last Sunday 😂

Edited by graham fisher
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, graham fisher said:

I was talking to a female London supporter at the end of the game and I said I thought it was two poor teams and she said It was the one of the worst London side she'd seen,I then replied your lucky this is the worst Dewsbury side I've seen since erm........last Sunday 😂

You have a short memory then Graham. These are bad at times but I have actually seen worse, a lot worse.

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

8 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Was it 2003 we finished next to bottom of the whole league?

That was bad. I reckon that many of our teams when we played at Mount Pleasant were even worse and when we came down from Div 1 in 1986 we sunk slowly down the league ignominiously. 

Fortunately the only "social media" available in those times was the letters page of the Dewsbury Reporter.

• Haha 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

That was bad. I reckon that many of our teams when we played at Mount Pleasant were even worse and when we came down from Div 1 in 1986 we sunk slowly down the league ignominiously. 

Fortunately the only "social media" available in those times was the letters page of the Dewsbury Reporter.

What year would you say at mount pleasant? You finished 3rd twice so it would be the last year there?

On 13/06/2022 at 17:22, Keep The Faith said:

What year would you say at mount pleasant? You finished 3rd twice so it would be the last year there?

We finished 3rd twice, but in the 3rd division. The standard of football was woeful throughout that division, but this was still the days of winter RL, so many of the pitches were equally poor. (Batley, of course, were even worse than us during this period.) The quality of the team had been pretty bad in the late 80's before the fire and our eventual departure from Crown Flatt. A CC loss to Oldham at home stands out in my memory as numbingly awful.

Normally the distance of time makes things seem better; it is possible that my mentality is the reverse of this.

31 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

We finished 3rd twice, but in the 3rd division. The standard of football was woeful throughout that division, but this was still the days of winter RL, so many of the pitches were equally poor. (Batley, of course, were even worse than us during this period.) The quality of the team had been pretty bad in the late 80's before the fire and our eventual departure from Crown Flatt. A CC loss to Oldham at home stands out in my memory as numbingly awful.

Normally the distance of time makes things seem better; it is possible that my mentality is the reverse of this.

I remember that Oldham CC defeat. Think it was 40-4 and Mick Murphy played his one and only game for us.

Strange how memories get triggered of individual games.

I also remember us losing 50-12 ? at home to Salford and Australian forward Tim Butler was so disgusted he grabbed his kit bag, didn't get changed and walked out of the ground. Think it was his last game for us.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I know you are quite right about the standard of RL on offer at that time, and the quality of pitches played on, but......the enjoyment I had attending games along with the involvement with the players and club were far better than today. Every Sunday seemed like a party, before the game, during and especially afterwards.

Maybe rose tinted glasses, but I don't think so.

• Like 3

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

5 hours ago, Hugh Jarce said:

I know you are quite right about the standard of RL on offer at that time, and the quality of pitches played on, but......the enjoyment I had attending games along with the involvement with the players and club were far better than today. Every Sunday seemed like a party, before the game, during and especially afterwards.

Maybe rose tinted glasses, but I don't think so.

Lots of things were more enjoyable when we were a lot younger HJ.  🙂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Lots of things were more enjoyable when we were a lot younger HJ.  🙂

I sort of agree, however, the interaction between fans of all ages (home & away) with the players somehow seemed better.

Fans of all ages & players stayed after games, not just for 30 to 60 minutes, and celebrated or commiserated together.

Now the game, and result, is everything.

We moan about the lack of information, but you can ask Mark Sawyer anything in the bar after the game, and he will tell you.

I had quite a conversation about the cost of replacing the fencing at the Bywell Road End, the amount is staggering, eye watering....but it's got to be paid. When you know and understand these sorts of things you feel more connected with the club. Maybe that's what we had!

A few beers and a good time just might be the answer to all our problems

• Like 3

Just now, Hugh Jarce said:

I sort of agree, however, the interaction between fans of all ages (home & away) with the players somehow seemed better.

Fans of all ages & players stayed after games, not just for 30 to 60 minutes, and celebrated or commiserated together.

Now the game, and result, is everything.

We moan about the lack of information, but you can ask Mark Sawyer anything in the bar after the game, and he will tell you.

I had quite a conversation about the cost of replacing the fencing at the Bywell Road End, the amount is staggering, eye watering....but it's got to be paid. When you know and understand these sorts of things you feel more connected with the club. Maybe that's what we had!

A few beers and a good time just might be the answer to all our problems

Going back quite some time, I'm afraid I disagree.

If you went into the club house at Crown Flatt the committee kept themselves hidden away in a private bar which was also used by many of the players. To say that the club was cliquish would be an understatement and, if you had any questions for Tom Clarke the regular response was "What's it got to do with you?"

Maybe, in those times, folk were more likely to be working alongside players so there was a greater familiarity. The decline of most industries has put paid to that.

I do, however, fully agree with you that, if you have a question and can find MS in the bar afterwards, he will be most happy to answer any and all of them.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

If you went into the club house at Crown Flatt the committee kept themselves hidden away in a private bar which was also used by many of the players. To say that the club was cliquish would be an understatement and, if you had any questions for Tom Clarke the regular response was "What's it got to do with you?"

Maybe, in those times, folk were more likely to be working alongside players so there was a greater familiarity. The decline of most industries has put paid to that.

I do, however, fully agree with you that, if you have a question and can find MS in the bar afterwards, he will be most happy to answer any and all of them.

I'm 56 so my experiences at Crown Flatt were great both as a player and supporter, but doesn't go back quite far enough. I'm sure Piggy's Mate will disagree. 😆

Using the current terms of today, fans, players and the Club don't engage.

I just wish I had the magic formula to change this.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hugh Jarce said:

I'm 56 

Think you've got them in the wrong order you daft ape'th

• Haha 2

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

It would be better if they shared the news with all the fans,not just the ones who speak to MS.

• Like 2