Barrow on Sunday.

4 minutes ago, morty said:

So the ref was instrumental in Town losing 58-0 hmmm

No, not at all, although Barrow did get most of the 50/50 calls, but the rules of the game are the same despite the score or one sidedness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, morty said:

So the ref was instrumental in Town losing 58-0 hmmm

Who said that?   Read the post mate.

Ball failed to go required 10, Barrow played it therefore penalty to Town according to rules, unless you know better

8 minutes ago, townie88 said:

Confirmed as on loan at haven for rest of the season. As well as two from catalan. 

Our ability to secure any players, loan or permanent is abysmal. 

It would appear so!!!

3 hours ago, HP Beans said:

I’m a bit out of touch so apologies if this has been mentioned before.

What are your thoughts on Newcastle Thunder and Hull FC dipping their toes into West Cumbria?

Cannot blame them, there are good players around here but without reserve/academy the gap from u18s to open age can be too much. Haven/town need to look at a joint reserve side/academy, players contracted to each pro club but can play for joint side, helps those not getting games and youngsters on the fringes of 1st team rugby, similar to Cumbria Storm

• Like 3

14 hours ago, dkw said:

I dont think a merger will ever happen, its more likely that a new Pro club is created with Town and haven becoming semi pro feeder clubs. Thats the only way we will ever have fully professional RL in this area.

Not sure that will ever happen with out a individual prepared to invest in a new club, and the rfl wouldn't support it without a private investor. 

14 hours ago, HP Beans said:

I’m a bit out of touch so apologies if this has been mentioned before.

What are your thoughts on Newcastle Thunder and Hull FC dipping their toes into West Cumbria?

I think its a shame that it isn't ran by combined Town and Haven tbh. I know its all about resources and manpower etc, but it would have been an ideal opportunity as well as identifying young talent to also use it as a platform to integrate our local amateur coaches and give them additional training skills to take back to their own clubs, as my mantra has always been if you improve the coaching you'll improve the players!

In regards to Town and Haven, they both need reserve teams, but there isn't the player pool in this area at present to support 2 additional sides and forget about an Academy as it would decimate the youth leagues and have an adverse affect on the local amateur game which is already on life support mode.

The answer could be to run a combined reserve side if a league could be found for them to play in, but I have my doubts as to whether it would work as its been tried before. I mean which club gets priority if a hooker/scrum half etc from both clubs needs game time?

No easy answers unfortunately and the RFL don't help as they seem devoid of ideas   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JMB said:

Not sure that will ever happen with out a individual prepared to invest in a new club, and the rfl wouldn't support it without a private investor. 

There`s no chance it happens without investment, and the likelihood of us getting someone to do this is very, very slight unfortunately.

17 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

I think its a shame that it isn't ran by combined Town and Haven tbh. I know its all about resources and manpower etc, but it would have been an ideal opportunity as well as identifying young talent to also use it as a platform to integrate our local amateur coaches and give them additional training skills to take back to their own clubs, as my mantra has always been if you improve the coaching you'll improve the players!

In regards to Town and Haven, they both need reserve teams, but there isn't the player pool in this area at present to support 2 additional sides and forget about an Academy as it would decimate the youth leagues and have an adverse affect on the local amateur game which is already on life support mode.

The answer could be to run a combined reserve side if a league could be found for them to play in, but I have my doubts as to whether it would work as its been tried before. I mean which club gets priority if a hooker/scrum half etc from both clubs needs game time?

No easy answers unfortunately and the RFL don't help as they seem devoid of ideas   

I know that Barrow have the Furness Raiders who play in a college league during the winter.

Cresta holds coaching sessions for local coaches who want to get involved in a JETS programme that possibly leads into the Furness side.

This could be an option for Town and Haven?

Just now, HP Beans said:

I know that Barrow have the Furness Raiders who play in a college league during the winter.

Cresta holds coaching sessions for local coaches who want to get involved in a JETS programme that possibly leads into the Furness side.

This could be an option for Town and Haven?

Barrow have done a lot of things right in the last few seasons, obviously helped by having a Chair with strong links to the amateur scene. Hopefully Town and Haven have a plan, or are at least formulating one, and you would hope that someone would speak to their opposite number at Barrow to pick their brains to see what works and what hasn't.

I would have thought discussions would have started between Barrow FC and the rugby club by now to develop one of the stadium sites into a joint venue. Its been great to see Barrow FC back in league football, but I can't see them surviving without a modern ground with proper hospitality and as much as I like Craven Park its a tired if still very traditional old ground now and could also do with modernisation  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Limmertime said:

Cannot blame them, there are good players around here but without reserve/academy the gap from u18s to open age can be too much. Haven/town need to look at a joint reserve side/academy, players contracted to each pro club but can play for joint side, helps those not getting games and youngsters on the fringes of 1st team rugby, similar to Cumbria Storm

Being saying that for years - all teams should have A teams.

You cant have a big squad and only play 17 players - thats the main reason why local  players leave.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

There are enough players, we have 28 on books as per todays squad page and then there are all the ones that have left to go back to amateur - ie Postlethwaite, Olstrum, Wilson, Marwood, Curwen , Ramsden,  That's 2 Town teams to start with and then there are all the young lads who train with the side at start of year and dont get a contract.

If you get a few injuries then you can add a few young lads in A team as and when,  always used to be a couple of A.N. Others play for A teams in 70s and 80s

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

There are enough players, we have 28 on books as per todays squad page and then there are all the ones that have left to go back to amateur - ie Postlethwaite, Olstrum, Wilson, Marwood, Curwen , Ramsden,  That's 2 Town teams to start with and then there are all the young lads who train with the side at start of year and dont get a contract.

If you get a few injuries then you can add a few young lads in A team as and when,  always used to be a couple of A.N. Others play for A teams in 70s and 80s

do you want quality or quantity?

There aren't enough players locally, the amateur game is struggling, so help is badly needed at grass roots level, not just in our area as its a national problem.

The healthier the amateur game, the healthier the professional clubs as they have a larger player pool to utilise and like it or not the two go hand in hand  

Edited by Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Confused 1

Why sign players that aren’t good enough? They obviously have something about them to sign them so play them! It’s all about man management and picking and choosing when to play people rather than battering the same 17. You have a squad for a reason they all train together so should be at that level, if they aren’t then we shouldn’t sign them. Using them for training purposes and not playing them is why amateur players see us in a bad light and the good ones with potential are put off

58 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

There aren't enough players locally, the amateur game is struggling, so help is badly needed at grass roots level, not just in our area as its a national problem.

The healthier the amateur game, the healthier the professional clubs as they have a larger player pool to utilise and like it or not the two go hand in hand  

From afar.

The mid to late 70s when Town were competing in the "Big League" and Lancashire Cups did the club not run an A team, which was also  competitive ....infact Lancashire Combination champions if I remember.

Chromedome can you confirm .

Did Haven also run an A team ?

Were the majority of players local..signed form local amateur clubs ?

How many local amateur senior teams where there then ?

How strong was the local youth set up ?

The excuse of a weak local amateur scene is a myth. In Allerdale back in the era I mention Red Rose,Ellbra,Maryport Legion,Glasson,Cockermouth, Lowca and Seaton were the only Local clubs. Very similar to what is around today and these were nurseries for the pro game. The player pool was even smaller then than today with only Wath Brow and Hensingham running second teams. No under 12s,13,14,16, etc and only a five team under 18 competition.  Take Maryport for example. three League clubs and a succesful Union club in Netherhall  running multiple sides.British Steel,Zebras,Cockermouth Union,Moresby Union....Like Red Rose and Maryport Legion many now gone or struggling to raise sides.

Its nowt to to do with quantity or quality ,help needed at Grass roots level etc etc  sadly its a sign of the times when kids and youth are turning their back on any sport not just league to take up other free time activities.

ALL sports are suffering.

How anyone can turn this around is the billion dollar question. 

I will leave you with this to think about .

The boom time for local rugby was around the Peter Walsh era when teams were popping up all over the place on the back of a succesful Town.....Salterbeck,Westfield,Brigham,Dearham,Flimby,Clifton etc etc etc . 

A stronger local scene than today ...more numbers ..more players to select from..a HEALTHIER amateur scene that you wish for .... but did it produce as many local players for Town as the 70s did  it strengthen the club in the long term ??

Scratching my head to understand how the Copeland sides and now Seaton can compete at the top level amateur game in the NCL yet the semi pro clubs cant. We do produce the players just ask why Hull and Newcastle are pushing into the region, why a lot of SL clubs have Cumbrian developed players in the line ups and why Town cant match this.

PUZZLING

• Like 1

Personal opinion but I don't think both clubs engagement with local community clubs has been great since the end of the scholarship programmes. That's where the kids started to lose interest when that was scrapped in my opinion, I don't know what the costs etc were around it but if it were to come back and say you had 20 kids from U12s-U16s per age group attached to a club it may generate interest in the better players staying local rather than having to go to Newcastle/Hull who are playing a blinder at the minute. This would be my main focus at the minute before building any sort of A teams which would bleed the current community clubs of their players.

• Like 1

Heard talk that Derwent park rangers are starting up again, hopefully get kids playing at a young age within workington, at the risk of people accusing me of just being a football supporter look at the reds development centre teams and see how they interact with the community and grassroots clubs

2 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

What a stupid answer.

Going from that remark of yours  - You are saying the whole Town squad plus the other 6 names I listed have no Quality?

We all know Town could do with a couple of Ollie Wilkes/Fui style props To allow Conor and MO.B etc to drop back a row and take a bit of load of them. But to state the whole squad has no quality is a #### remark.

6 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

I would have thought discussions would have started between Barrow FC and the rugby club by now to develop one of the stadium sites into a joint venue. Its been great to see Barrow FC back in league football, but I can't see them surviving without a modern ground with proper hospitality and as much as I like Craven Park its a tired if still very traditional old ground now and could also do with modernisation

I agree both BAFC & BRLFC have grounds in a similar state of repair . The football are developing theirs to meet EFL requirements however it’s just a sticking plaster in my opinion. Hopefully we will ground share one day. I liked the the terracing opposite the stand at Town, any idea how much it cost ? 

1 hour ago, yanto said:

From afar.

The mid to late 70s when Town were competing in the "Big League" and Lancashire Cups did the club not run an A team, which was also  competitive ....infact Lancashire Combination champions if I remember.

Chromedome can you confirm .

Did Haven also run an A team ?

Were the majority of players local..signed form local amateur clubs ?

How many local amateur senior teams where there then ?

How strong was the local youth set up ?

The excuse of a weak local amateur scene is a myth. In Allerdale back in the era I mention Red Rose,Ellbra,Maryport Legion,Glasson,Cockermouth, Lowca and Seaton were the only Local clubs. Very similar to what is around today and these were nurseries for the pro game. The player pool was even smaller then than today with only Wath Brow and Hensingham running second teams. No under 12s,13,14,16, etc and only a five team under 18 competition.  Take Maryport for example. three League clubs and a succesful Union club in Netherhall  running multiple sides.British Steel,Zebras,Cockermouth Union,Moresby Union....Like Red Rose and Maryport Legion many now gone or struggling to raise sides.

Its nowt to to do with quantity or quality ,help needed at Grass roots level etc etc  sadly its a sign of the times when kids and youth are turning their back on any sport not just league to take up other free time activities.

ALL sports are suffering.

How anyone can turn this around is the billion dollar question. 

I will leave you with this to think about .

The boom time for local rugby was around the Peter Walsh era when teams were popping up all over the place on the back of a succesful Town.....Salterbeck,Westfield,Brigham,Dearham,Flimby,Clifton etc etc etc . 

A stronger local scene than today ...more numbers ..more players to select from..a HEALTHIER amateur scene that you wish for .... but did it produce as many local players for Town as the 70s did  it strengthen the club in the long term ??

Scratching my head to understand how the Copeland sides and now Seaton can compete at the top level amateur game in the NCL yet the semi pro clubs cant. We do produce the players just ask why Hull and Newcastle are pushing into the region, why a lot of SL clubs have Cumbrian developed players in the line ups and why Town cant match this.

PUZZLING

Well said Ian

Town need a couple of big Props as everyone on here knows but that has nothing to do with an A team.

We need the A team for other reasons

1.  Game time for Fringe players {to stop them leaving]

2. Game time for injured players [No need to send D.OD to Oldham]

3 Game time for young players but  as a stepping stone to bridge the gap between amateur and League.

Ideally the first team would be championship quality and your A team would be League 1 quality

• Like 1