Midland Hurricanes

clifford

22 hours ago, Roger and Out said:

People have short memories. These things happen in sport. I remember the days of one division of about 30 clubs and one season we finished next to bottom. The only team below us (I think) was Blackpool Borough. These days it's all about money and we aint got much. What we do have is an owner who's an absolute gem at keeping us going against all the odds.

Again, let's talk about memory. Only a few short months ago, the big debate among fans was whether or not we would even have a club. Well, we are still here. struggling on the field, that's true, but probably stronger off it than we have been for years with John Roddy in as vice chairman; new and regular links with the other rugby league organisations in the town; a vibrant new Supporters Club, YEDS, run by young people; new relationships with Oldham Council; the new agreement for joint use of Melrose which opens up new training and community-initiative opportunities; the launch of a women's team and a masters team for over-35s. I could go on.

Suffice to say, a lot of people are giving their time, energy and skills to battle and work for the club they love, so PLEASE stick with us and give us your support. Times are tough, we know that, but we either throw in the towel or we fight the good fight.

We prefer to do the latter -- and thus give a lift to the guy who, for nearly quarter of a century, has proved time and again that he doesn't know the existence of the word 'quit'.

Your faith repaid……congratulations on a great win.  Enjoy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Back to the game - I quite enjoyed it today. It was a refreshing change after all the niggle of the Swinton match. I thought Butterworth gave us plenty of options and released Ridyard to be far more creative than recent games. O'Donnell also had great match. Restall was excellent as always. We also nilled the opposition.

Hurricanes gave a good account of themselves.

• Like 4

As I said previously with reference to losing, we will always lose a few games, but it's the manner of the loss that's important. Likewise with winning. A number of armchair  pundits had us down for a loss or a close run win. But the manner of the win was tremendous. Btw I agree, tables don't lie, that's true. But they can be analysed. Yes we are 7th but look at the for and against. Admittedly we have racked up a couple of high scores but it augers well for the second half of the season.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 6

58 minutes ago, Tangle said:

Happy

1983, last time I was happy. Don't get me wrong , me and my wife had 26 happy years, then we met. Having said that though, there was a a time in the 90-91 season, when I was ecstatic as Paul lord touched down against Warrington. Lasted all of ten seconds. Been a right miserable s0d ever since. Given the opposition 600 is to be expected. 

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

I was ecstatic as Paul lord touched down against Warrington.

So was I.

It WAS a try.

I still hate Holdsworth. And I always will.

• Like 1

John Holdsworth is very much alive and he is a very nice guy.

All referees have to make vital split-second decisions in the heat of the moment. Like you and I they are human. They won't always get decisions right, nor would you or I. The call in particular was a very close call and I would challenge anyone who claims they know for 100 per cent certain that Lordy was onside.

Even if it was ever proved that he was onside, John wouldn't be the first ref --- and he sure won't be the last --

to err on a v ital decision. Some decisions go for you; some go against you. It happens. Thanks for your services to the game John -- and long may you enjoy it !

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Roger and Out said:

John Holdsworth is very much alive and he is a very nice guy.

All referees have to make vital split-second decisions in the heat of the moment. Like you and I they are human. They won't always get decisions right, nor would you or I. The call in particular was a very close call and I would challenge anyone who claims they know for 100 per cent certain that Lordy was onside.

Even if it was ever proved that he was onside, John wouldn't be the first ref --- and he sure won't be the last --

to err on a v ital decision. Some decisions go for you; some go against you. It happens. Thanks for your services to the game John -- and long may you enjoy it !

Sorry,and this is my opinion, but being a nice guy is irrelevant . John cogger was blocking Holdsworth's view. He couldn't see whether lordy was offside. Therefore he made an assumption that he was offside. To my my mind, and many others, if you don't/ can't see an infraction you don't give it.

• Like 1

On 18/06/2022 at 11:07, clifford said:

I whole heartily agree that lordy was given off side on an assumption.

I never have watched the game back mainly because It will confirm the referee was wrong.

The assumption was that Paul Lord wasn't fast enough to have been on side. If that try had been scored by Martin offiah it's likely he would have given it. But we know that lordy, may not have been as fast BUT he was up there with them. He was certainly fast over ten yards and quick off the mark, just look at the previous game against Widnes. Oh how things would be different now, sliding doors!!!? (A film about if's and buts)

• Like 4