Worst value for money half backs in 2022?

Worst value for money half backs in 2022?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Worst value for money half backs in 2022?

• Widdop/Williams
    • Reynolds/Gale
    • Austin/Sezer

Widdop/Williams at Wire

Reynolds/Gale at Hull FC

Austin/Sezer at Leeds

Okay, I appreciate that Ratchford has been stand off and Widdop full back recently but Widdop is surely classed as a half back isn't he?

Austin and Sezer promised so much also.

I think we can agree that all six players have mainly been sh*te this year but I would guess that Moran is paying a fair bit more for his halves than Pearson is for his and Leeds may well be paying more for Austin and Sezer also, that's not to say I think one is better value than the others, over to you lot...

Edited by Old Frightful
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Based purely on how much I thought they were going to add value and change the performance of the team, I think Austin and Sezer have to be in this list (accepting of course that injury has played a part, but even when fit they have not contributed anything like enough).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Based purely on how much I thought they were going to add value and change the performance of the team, I think Austin and Sezer have to be in this list (accepting of course that injury has played a part, but even when fit they have not contributed anything like enough).

Good point, well made.

I’ve gone for my boys (Widdop/Williams) mate over your boys.  Widdop has been the best out of those 4 for me, and your 2 have been diabolical, but what swings it is (a) Williams has been a massive disappointment and (b) between them they’re on allegedly £800,000 per year.  Wow.  Shocking…..

After Dunbar's valid suggestion, I've now edited it!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, M j M said:

Austin has been pretty good for Leeds, Sezer hasn't played injury-free yet. Not really sure they match the other pairings in this list.

Austin and Sezer were absolutely awful at the beginning of the year.

And if you think Austin has been pretty good then your standards are not high.  He has played ok at times but over the course of this season, he has not been pretty good.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Austin and Sezer were absolutely awful at the beginning of the year.

And if you think Austin has been pretty good then your standards are not high.  He has played ok at times but over the course of this season, he has not been pretty good.

Like I said, Sezer was being played injured before they bit the bullet and let him go for the operation.

If you've not been paying attention to Austin's performances recently then that is your look out but there's a reason he's been given a new contract by Leeds.

4 minutes ago, M j M said:

Like I said, Sezer was being played injured before they bit the bullet and let him go for the operation.

If you've not been paying attention to Austin's performances recently then that is your look out but there's a reason he's been given a new contract by Leeds.

As I said in my first post, I accept that injuries play a part, and I would never blame a player for being injured, but we are talking value for money here. 

If you are happy with what Leeds have got from Austin and Sezer this year then fine.

55 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Widdop/Williams at Wire

Reynolds/Gale at Hull FC

Austin/Sezer at Leeds

Okay, I appreciate that Ratchford has been stand off and Widdop full back recently but Widdop is surely classed as a half back isn't he?

Austin and Sezer promised so much also.

I think we can agree that all six players have mainly been sh*te this year but I would guess that Moran is paying a fair bit more for his halves than Pearson is for his and Leeds may well be paying more for Austin and Sezer also, that's not to say I think one is better value than the others, over to you lot...

Loathed to single out players but Josh Reynolds has to do better. He’s one of the highest paid players in Super League. He’s only played in 60% of Hull FC’s games since arriving. He’s missed missed more tackles than any other player this season despite missing five games.

5 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:
Loathed to single out players but Josh Reynolds has to do better. He’s one of the highest paid players in Super League. He’s only played in 60% of Hull FC’s games since arriving. He’s missed missed more tackles than any other player this season despite missing five games.

Do you think he earns £30K a month?

3 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

I think any analysis of how bad your halfbacks are has to be asterisked with the caveat that no halfback can shine if his forwards are not on top and setting a platform in terms of go forward and field position.

And I would caveat that by saying it is very difficult for a forward pack to get on top if the halfbacks are providing no game management or poorly executing a tactical kicking game.  The two things are symbiotic.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

And I would caveat that by saying it is very difficult for a forward pack to get on top if the halfbacks are providing no game management or poorly executing a tactical kicking game.  The two things are symbiotic.

Of course game management is important but if your middles are on the back foot and 2nd best at running and tackling, then it's a miraculous halfback that can game manage that.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Of course game management is important but if your middles are on the back foot and 2nd best at running and tackling, then it's a miraculous halfback that can game manage that.

I would say, on balance, in the modern game the quality of the kicking game is more important for field position than the dominance of the middle forwards. 

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I would say, on balance, in the modern game the quality of the kicking game is more important for field position than the dominance of the middle forwards. 

A top drawer kicking game can certainly save the bacon of a pack who are being edged out set by set, but there is a world of difference to how good a halfback can look at the end of a strong set, and at the end of a weak one.

Do I really have to pick two pairings that are better value for money in 2022?

I'm a huge fan of Williams and still think I'd pick him in the halves for the World Cup, but he and Widdop are surely the prime choice in this unenviable three-way tussle for lack of return.

All six majorly have to step up their game though, with Widdop perhaps in the best form of the six.

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

Widdop and Williams comfortably 

As Marvin Hagler said it's hard getting out of bed at 6 am to do roadwork when you are wearing silk pyjamas.So if your inflated wage is guaranteed why tow your r-cks off.Start paying players lower contract money then add on win money and appearance money if losing.

• Like 1

Wondering why Wire's woeful wunderkind Widdop and Williams were worst? 

From stardom in Australia to mediocrity here, and given  Bateman's lack of form, too, have the Australians put something in their tea? How else can their combined lack of form be explained?

13 hours ago, MZH said:

Reynolds and Gale must be the worst, but then I can't imagine they are being paid as much as a pairing as Widdop and Williams. So it's a close call. 

i was going to say these two, they probably aren't on as much, however they've got a much better pack in front of them than the wire 6/7 so they have no excuses.

• Like 2