Waterhead social media

12 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

How the RFL deals with this will be interesting, not just because of the offence committed, but also that it has been left up so long. These things are a test of intelligence and awareness more than anything, and they've failed that massively. Wonder if any journalists will investigate or not bother.

The RFL will not deal with it and the RFL media will barely mention it.

This thread will be gone in about five minutes.

After which, to sound a bit like the end of the The Usual Suspects, my guess is you'll never hear of it again.

But it may echo is conversations about why we struggle to recruit and retain across communities where other sports are making progress.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

39 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

How the RFL deals with this will be interesting, not just because of the offence committed, but also that it has been left up so long. These things are a test of intelligence and awareness more than anything, and they've failed that massively. Wonder if any journalists will investigate or not bother.

Out of interest, what offence do you interpret them as committing?

I believe it is an act of stupidity, and no doubt has resulted in people taking offence, but you go beyond that, saying an offence has been committed.

4 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Out of interest, what offence do you interpret them as committing?

I believe it is an act of stupidity, and no doubt has resulted in people taking offence, but you go beyond that, saying an offence has been committed.

Without going through the Operational Rules, they'll have certainly broken Social Media Guidelines, and the aims of the TackleIt campaign.

In 2022, no-one surely thinks you can use "blackface" and not face the consequences?

Edited by RigbyLuger

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Odd thing to post.

It was the RFL Operational Rules, social media policy and Tackle It campaign that's being referenced.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Odd thing to post.

It was the RFL Operational Rules, social media policy and Tackle It campaign that's being referenced.

Rather than your conditioned-reflex response to criticise anything I post, even when I agree with you, why not get off your high horse and instead of displaying your right-on moral superiority, actually do something about Waterhead?

16 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

What the hell are they thinking posting this?IMG-20220612-WA0019.jpg.4a2a67de4ea581a8d734fd27f2c14dd0.jpg

Just seen this. I dont know what they thinking framing that England shirt, not one of the best that one! 

In all seriousness though, yeah this is awful, I don't know what the hell they were thinking either... 

Let's see, 

1. Obviously there's the smearing of themselves in chocolate, that's probably the worst thing going on there

2. Then there's the water pistols. 

3. A t-shirt encouraging the smoking of drugs. 

4. Wearing trousers that are too big for him. 

5. Not having anywhere to store his spare bike chain so just hanging it round his neck. 

6. Holding his Guinness glass with the logo facing towards him and not facing outwards. 

7. 90s youth club disco lighting (wow!) 

8. That catastrophe of an England shirt on the wall. 

9. And the fact they look happy with this whole disaster of a scene.

You couldn't make it up could you! (face palm) 

Ps. Just noticed there's a spot of damp above the England shirt. They'll want to get that looked at, don't need to be breathing that stuff in. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

30 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Without going through the Operational Rules, they'll have certainly broken Social Media Guidelines, and the aims of the TackleIt campaign.

In 2022, no-one surely thinks you can use "blackface" and not face the consequences?

Thanks.

So an offence against RFL rules/guidance. I assumed you meant against the law.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Im with you and at the risk of been dubbed a racist, its a Stars In Their Eyes night for petes sake.

Tonight Matthew I am going to be nobody......because I do not want to offend anyone.

No outcry about the other acts? I believe the person playing Elton John is not gay.

The person playing Axl Rose does not really have ginger hair.

The bloke playing Liam Gallagher isn't really from Manchester.

There is a long history in the film and entertainment industry of people blacking up, mostly  because people refused work to  black and effnic performers or only have them play roles such as servants tribesman, the main parts where always given to white actors who blacked up to play Native American chiefs or black characters , John Wayne (a well documented and quoted racist) blacking up orientaling up to play Ghengis Khan, all instead of just giving roles to black effnic actors. The list goes on and on and i could give more and more examples. Then there are comedians blacking up for cheap comic affect. This above are just some of the reasons why Blacking up is just wrong, and why a black person  whiting up is just not the same.

I could go on but you will either get it see the point if view or just won’t/refuse to get it. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Live after death said:

There is a long history in the film and entertainment industry of people blacking up, mostly  because people refused work to  black and effnic performers or only have them play roles such as servants tribesman, the main parts where always given to white actors who blacked up to play Native American chiefs or black characters , John Wayne (a well documented and quoted racist) blacking up orientaling up to play Ghengis Khan, all instead of just giving roles to black effnic actors. The list goes on and on and i could give more and more examples. Then there are comedians blacking up for cheap comic affect. This above are just some of the reasons why Blacking up is just wrong, and why a black person  whiting up is just not the same.

I could go on but you will either get it see the point if view or just won’t/refuse to get it. 

You'd have an argument if there was still that kind of discrimination in the industry.

Thankfully there isn't and actors of all ethnicities enjoy equal treatment.

We live in 2022, not 1952. Why do we constantly need to invoke past injustices to make people not even born when they happened victims and villains?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

You'd have an argument if there was still that kind of discrimination in the industry.

We live in 2022, not 1952. Why do we constantly need to invoke past injustices to make people not even born when they happened victims and villains?

its 2022 not 1952.. why do people think that they need to "black up"?

On 13/06/2022 at 09:51, Barley Mow said:

In seriousness though, who could  think this is a good idea?!

The people doing it and the club posting it really should know better.

Its as bad as prince harry dressing up as a nazi or peter mandleson going shopping with jeffrey Epstein 

2 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Can I live on the planet you live on?

It sounds lovely.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The storm said:

peter mandleson going shopping with jeffrey Epstein 

Very relevant and important intervention.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

You'd be surprised how much there still is.

4 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Doing it as a different post as its a different think to my last one.. 

Its not just that industry. That industry was perpetuating what was happening in wider society. There are still battles, even in that industry, to have people correctly casted. There are still instances where people from different ethnic groups are used to portray someone of that ethnic group. It is much rarer and when it happens it is picked up on more but it does still happen.

Society itself is still littered with people who will do this to belittle the minority, it still has people who think it is ok to discriminate on colour. 

There is no need to do this... just dont do it and then no one can be offended by it.. why not just accept that maybe, just for everyone's sake, we just dont need to do this type of thing for "comedic effect" or "for fun" and that it wont material affect us not to do it, it may affect someone to do it. 

1 hour ago, RP London said:

Doing it as a different post as its a different think to my last one.. 

Its not just that industry. That industry was perpetuating what was happening in wider society. There are still battles, even in that industry, to have people correctly casted. There are still instances where people from different ethnic groups are used to portray someone of that ethnic group. It is much rarer and when it happens it is picked up on more but it does still happen.

Society itself is still littered with people who will do this to belittle the minority, it still has people who think it is ok to discriminate on colour. 

There is no need to do this... just dont do it and then no one can be offended by it.. why not just accept that maybe, just for everyone's sake, we just dont need to do this type of thing for "comedic effect" or "for fun" and that it wont material affect us not to do it, it may affect someone to do it. 

Define "correctly casted".

They're actors. They're pretending to be someone else. Age/ethnicity/sexuality/disability/gender shouldn't be a barrier to playing any role if we truly believe in equality.

9 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Define "correctly casted".

They're actors. They're pretending to be someone else. Age/ethnicity/sexuality/disability/gender shouldn't be a barrier to playing any role if we truly believe in equality.

I see where you are coming from but that is not equality... If you are looking for a deaf person, cast a deaf person, if you are looking for a blackman cast a blackman not a white man dressed up. If the role does not define the gender, colour, ethnicity etc then it should be equal yes, but if it defines the person as Black then the actor should be Black not a white man dressed up as a Blackman. 

• Like 2