Match thread: Championship Rd 16. Featherstone Rovers v Batley. Sunday 26th June 2022.

See Wildie has got 2 matches.I think that's about right .Jack got off with his arm in a dangerous position and Wildie had his body over the neck area.Would think Eseh will be looking at a suspension for his late challenge.It was daft with only a minute to play but he will learn.

• Like 1

2 Luke Briscoe  
3 Joey Leilua  
5 Gareth Gale  
9 Connor Jones  
11 Brett Ferres  
15 John Davies  
16 Junior Moors  
17 Ben Hellewell  
20 Morgan Smith  
21 Luke Cooper  
29 Johnathon Ford  
32 Sam Eseh  
4 Craig Hall Not selected
25 Bayley Gill Not selected
8 Craig  Kopczak Injured 
10 James  Lockwood Injured 
12 Jesse Sene-Lefao Injured 
13 Jack  Bussey Injured 
18 Josh Hardcastle Injured 
26 Adam  Cuthberston Injured 
27 Ryley  Jacks Possibly Injured 
28 Mark Kheirallah Possibly Injured 
31 Tyla Hepi Possibly Injured 
1 Brandon Pickersgill Possibly Injured/Loaned out
19 Callum Field  Loaned out
22 Kyle Trout Loaned out
23 Loui McConnell Loaned out
24 Jacob Doyle Loaned out
30 Ben Mathiou

Loaned out

5 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

See Wildie has got 2 matches.I think that's about right .Jack got off with his arm in a dangerous position and Wildie had his body over the neck area.Would think Eseh will be looking at a suspension for his late challenge.It was daft with only a minute to play but he will learn.

Eseh nfa

23 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Kheirallah is a terrific player and is involved in our attacking moves.One fault is that he tends to come into the line to defend instead of staying 10m behind and defending deeper.But at the moment our backs do need a bit of help defending so he is probably helping them out.I have nowt against older players but for me 4 over 32's would be enough.When we had a top of Championship team under Powell the age was much lower as he can build a team.At present as an earlier poster has pointed out we do seem to just sign players because the are available not for the future development of the team.

Impossible to build a young team now, they'll get snapped up by Super League teams immediately. See Halton and Harrison as an example. Will see more and more dropping down at the back end of their careers to play in the championship.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

Impossible to build a young team now, they'll get snapped up by Super League teams immediately. See Halton and Harrison as an example. Will see more and more dropping down at the back end of their careers to play in the championship.

That's why it is so difficult for promoted teams to stay up.Loads of players who are not getting games with SL teams will be on 20/30k just to stop other teams signing them.If top Championship teams can offer the same terms surely playing is better for their development rather than just being a squad member.

23 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

No charge S apparently SAM 

tackles across the chest and opponent falls to ground with impact.

9 minutes ago, POR said:

No charge S apparently SAM 

tackles across the chest and opponent falls to ground with impact.

Glad about that we will need him.I agree tackle was across  the chest but i thought he made contact after the ball was kicked.Not saying owt else about it in case they change their mind.

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Glad about that we will need him.I agree tackle was across  the chest but i thought he made contact after the ball was kicked.Not saying owt else about it in case they change their mind.

I reckon we should claim that Eseh's red card, which has now been adjudged to be not worthy of a charge, changed the course of the match and demand a void game. The comeback was just about to start! 😃 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 15/06/2022 at 12:15, marklaspalmas said:

He's 17?? Jeez he looks handy. I thought he was about 21.....

He's a prospect that's for sure. He makes up the holy Trinity (pun intended) of future first team props from our Academy. Aydin and Shaw being the others, both of whom have played SL. Eseh was the wildcard as he had played little RL until College which is where we picked him up.

Unlike the other two he's very raw but exciting with it. His offload game is top notch for his age and it's this that Trinity want to develop. Size wise he's fine and has a good attitude.

I reckon if all goes well you might even get him next season as at 19 time is totally on his side.

Not meaning to sound patronising, but we were lucky to find him and you are lucky to have him now, enjoy.

PS: We have another one on the way Courage Mkuhlan. He's a centre/second row but he too is raw but physically advanced. He's not the best in our academy imho but he's the one who would most benefit from Championship RL and could cope with the massive increase in physicality.

PPS: I'm not assuming you won't get promote by the way, hope you do.

Eseh it would make sense for him to do another season in the Championship.Like i said earlier his body will not be properly developed for another 3 years.He tries his heart out when on the field and that's what supporters want.He needs to vary his play a bit as he is very upright with the ball and defenders will be aware of the offload.If he puts his head and shoulders down he will probably make more yardage.Do the offload but not so much.And tell a nearby team mate when it's on give him the nod to come short.Exiting prospect.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Squidward said:

Sorry its off topic but can someone confirm the date of this year's million pound game. Tried a few Google searches but got nowhere.

Would think the weekend of 1st/2nd of October. Last league game 11th Sept then 2 weeks for play off matches the week after would be the final.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Eseh it would make sense for him to do another season in the Championship.Like i said earlier his body will not be properly developed for another 3 years.He tries his heart out when on the field and that's what supporters want.He needs to vary his play a bit as he is very upright with the ball and defenders will be aware of the offload.If he puts his head and shoulders down he will probably make more yardage.Do the offload but not so much.And tell a nearby team mate when it's on give him the nod to come short.Exiting prospect.

Spot on regarding his running style and very typical of players who join the game late. He needs to learn to drive in the ball low and hard when needed but stay upright when he can so he is able to offload when possible.

4 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Hope he keeps his cards in his pocket,and goes steady on the six again's.Won't blame him for Inus foot in touch that was the linesman with the guide dog.

For context, Bongser is a Leigh fan posting for the first time on this forum. Hello, how do you do?

Regarding the cards, as all three were in the last ten minutes therefore the choice of colour was academic. Etihad Hall has decreed that the yellow is worth (a further) two weeks off and the two reds were worth no further action. Backing Hicks to the hilt!

As to the first try (Inu's), Bongser has watched the replays a score of times and is still undecided as to whether his boot touched the chalk before he dived for the grounding. Had the try been chalked off (the puns keep on coming), Bongser would have accepted it without grouse. The linesman had the best view in the ground and the ref rightly went with him whatever the actuality.

Your middle point is interesting though. Despite the bullishness from various posters above, deep down do you think Fev's squad is too old? Bring on the six agains at The Bash.

8 hours ago, Bongser said:

Your middle point is interesting though. Despite the bullishness from various posters above, deep down do you think Fev's squad is too old? Bring on the six agains at The Bash.

I don't think the squad is too old, I think we've probably done really well to build a strong squad, there are the odd signing or two that hasn't worked out as we'd have liked but generally it's a pretty good squad. Some of our best players have been our veterans - there's a case for saying Junior Moors has been ouur best player this year, and he's 36 next month.

Unlike Leigh, we didn't have the funds to go full-time and do it properly. Our business model has been based on attracting the best part-time players who might also have a business (eg Sene-Lefao) and are therefore available at a bit less than quality full-time players would be seeking, and also attracting veterans who still have some good rugby in them but are too old to be offered a SL contract (eg Moors, Kopczak).

What's happened is that we've run into an opponent in Leigh that have seemingly bottomless funds and have used those funds well, certainly much better than has been the case in the past. The narrative about the Championship has been that there are two big-spending teams and that's true compared to the remainder of the division, but there's little doubt that Leigh have depths of spending that we don't have  - Beaumont admitted to having spent £1.2m on the squad in January, and since then Leigh have signed Inu, Ferguson, Ipape and O'Donnell.

The parachute payment has clearly played a big part this year - it means Leigh's central funding is more than triple that of Fev - but it does look as if Leigh would have had pretty much unlimited funds anyway.

Fev are about where we should be based on spending - if we were languishing in fifth or sixth that would be different. The jury's out for quite a few fans on the coach, but most of us recognise that as he's been brought in on the strength of his ability to win Grand Finals he can't really be judged until the play-off final, if we reach it.

• Like 5

On 21/06/2022 at 20:28, sentoffagain2 said:

Would think the weekend of 1st/2nd of October. Last league game 11th Sept then 2 weeks for play off matches the week after would be the final.

23 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

As far as I know, it's 2nd October.

Funny thing S and D grandson watched our favourite bulls fans podcast and said beumont told him leigh would play FEV in semi I think DEGSY been looking at 2019 playoffs format not the 2021 🤣

• Like 1

So 19 names are up on the RFL website. Of the known injured players, Hardcastle, Cuthbertson, Kopczak and Hepi are all missing.

I think everyone else who is currently with the squad and not out of loan has been listed bar the suspended Wildie (assuming Smith and Sene-Lefao are the two late-alphabet names) though it's hard to know whether the likes of Lockwood, JSL, Kheirallah, Jacks, Ferres, Bussey etc are actually fit to play or not. presumably at least some of those guys will be playing.

But it's going to be hard to predict the 17 until it's announced at 2pm on Sunday.