Match thread: Championship Rd 16. Featherstone Rovers v Batley. Sunday 26th June 2022.

56 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

So 19 names are up on the RFL website. Of the known injured players, Hardcastle, Cuthbertson, Kopczak and Hepi are all missing.

I think everyone else who is currently with the squad and not out of loan has been listed bar the suspended Wildie (assuming Smith and Sene-Lefao are the two late-alphabet names) though it's hard to know whether the likes of Lockwood, JSL, Kheirallah, Jacks, Ferres, Bussey etc are actually fit to play or not. presumably at least some of those guys will be playing.

But it's going to be hard to predict the 17 until it's announced at 2pm on Sunday.

No Brandon Pickersgill.

Still out on loan, or injured?

McConnell in the 21 again.

As you say, it'll be interesting to see which of those who had injury doubts; Locky, Bussey, JSL etc. actually make the XVII

2 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

No Brandon Pickersgill.

Still out on loan, or injured?

McConnell in the 21 again.

As you say, it'll be interesting to see which of those who had injury doubts; Locky, Bussey, JSL etc. actually make the XVII

Not in the 19 names available for the Bulls' squad which goes down to 'Spurr'. Not heard that his loan was extended beyond the initial 2 weeks

You'd have thought this was an ideal game for Mathiou, McConnell and (recall) Field to get some time in blue & white.

I just don't get the logic of loaning out decent players like these and turning out a threadbare squad.

I appreciate Batley are a good side that will be looking to pounce on us, but these forwards are proven at this level (especially Field) and we're announcing a squad that has at least three players that are injured.

Big Mac continues to baffle me.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

You'd have thought this was an ideal game for Mathiou, McConnell and (recall) Field to get some time in blue & white.

I just don't get the logic of loaning out decent players like these and turning out a threadbare squad.

I appreciate Batley are a good side that will be looking to pounce on us, but these forwards are proven at this level (especially Field) and we're announcing a squad that has at least three players that are injured.

Only really Field has shown anything like enough to justify playing against Batley, and he's only a steady player. 

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

Mathiou has been turning out regularly for Doncaster in League One and as far as I can tell he hasn't stood out at all.
McConnell and Field weren't McDermott signings and I don't think he especially rates them in terms of playing for a top 2 team. They both try hard and have never let us down but they just lack that bit of size and physical strength.

That said, McConnell is in the squad and was sitting next to McDermott during the Bradford game, so might not be out of the equation. For me, both he and Field are at the level of a mid-table Championship team.

As Mac said in his interview this week, there's never a start and stop point to recruitment, you're always looking at your team. Whereas, say, the situations regarding Chisholm/Hall might have been controversial, I think these are less so.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Mathiou has been turning out regularly for Doncaster in League One and as far as I can tell he hasn't stood out at all.
McConnell and Field weren't McDermott signings and I don't think he especially rates them in terms of playing for a top 2 team. They both try hard and have never let us down but they just lack that bit of size and physical strength.

That said, McConnell is in the squad and was sitting next to McDermott during the Bradford game, so might not be out of the equation. For me, both he and Field are at the level of a mid-table Championship team.

As Mac said in his interview this week, there's never a start and stop point to recruitment, you're always looking at your team. Whereas, say, the situations regarding Chisholm/Hall might have been controversial, I think these are less so.

They wouldn't be my first choice against teams like Leigh or 'fax. But when you're putting 70 odd past dross like Widnes, do you really need your first choice forwards? Or would it be better to give them more rest time, given they're all towards the end of their careers?

Edited by David Shepherd

5 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

They wouldn't be my first choice against teams like Leigh or 'fax. But when you're putting 70 odd past dross like Widnes, do you really need your first choice forwards? Or would it be better to give them more rest time, given they're all towards the end of their careers?

But you said this game against Batley - who have already taken a point off us and are going really well -would be an ideal game for them to get some game time.

The coach critics would be having a field day if we rested, say, Moors and Bussey this weekend to give others a game and got turned over.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Two new loan players in this week who are more than likely to be of the required quality for a top two side, but they have to be paid for. Keeping fringe players out on loan won't foot the whole bill but it will help.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, coolie said:

Ya seasons over now

Leigh shipping in more quality

Send all your decent players to the Rams and help save our backsides please 😝🤣🤣🤞🤞🤞

Some of our decent players are injured lol.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, coolie said:

Ya seasons over now

Leigh shipping in more quality

Send all your decent players to the Rams and help save our backsides please 😝🤣🤣🤞🤞🤞

But C you don't pick those we send you  and now KYLE T has left FEV looks ke you don't want him🤣

• Like 1

Certainly ringing the changes NO Gale, Davies or Ferres and presumably Bussey is still injured. Still looks a good team