Pacific Tests - June 25th

37 minutes ago, Scubby said:

No photo description available.

The highlight of the weekend providing much needed funds to the NZRL and hopefully Tonga RL. Its a pity that no matter how successful it is it won't be repeated next year. At least it cant overshadow SOO then.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Surely Hopoate will be their FB for WC time, if he's fit. Lolohea and Staggs in the halves.

I think they might go with Hurrell in the 17 later in the year. He plays his heart out in red and he's such a talisman for them.

Tesi Nui (Brisbane Broncos) who’s currently injured will be a decent shout for the FB role. He was the FB when they beat GB in 2019.

Hopoate is alright by my god he’s slow for a FB!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Damien said:

The highlight of the weekend providing much needed funds to the NZRL and hopefully Tonga RL. Its a pity that no matter how successful it is it won't be repeated next year. At least it cant overshadow SOO then.

Why couldn't they just put it on anyway? If it is an official test match sanctioned by the IRL then NRL clubs have to release players.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Why couldn't they just put it on anyway? If it is an official test match sanctioned by the IRL then NRL clubs have to release players.

Like the World Cup....

I also remember in one of the reports a few months ago about the NRL scrapping mid season internationals something about the NRL basically stopping that agreement to release players.

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Like the World Cup....

I also remember in one of the reports a few months ago about the NRL scrapping mid season internationals something about the NRL basically stopping that agreement to release players.

Then we may as well scrap the IRL and let the NRL run the whole sport. In effect they are now doing so by stealth.

NRL squeezing it out of the schedule and RLPA crying foul over off-season commitments to players.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Then we may as well scrap the IRL and let the NRL run the whole sport. In effect they are now doing so by stealth.

NRL squeezing it out of the schedule and RLPA crying foul over off-season commitments to players.

We know what the issues are, its up to the wider game to stand up to the NRL. In particular this has to come from the likes of the NZRL (who have long been the NRL's poodle), Tonga, Fiji, Samoa, PNG etc, and just as importantly the players.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Damien said:

We know what the issues are, its up to the wider game to stand up to the NRL. In particular this has to come from the likes of the NZRL (who have long been the NRL's poodle), Tonga, Fiji, Samoa, PNG etc, and just as importantly the players.

Sadly, we are heading to a spiral of the NRL saying we will play Internationals when we want, for as long as we want, and with who we want.

If they tie some kind of International October/November competition into a new NRL TV deal we may see the end of Aus/NZ touring or playing away from Australasia outside of World Cup years.

England may be invited to play in some competitions but the idea of another Ashes series in the UK or hosting any competition here feels way off.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 1

On 19/06/2022 at 09:55, Damien said:

The rules are here:

The key points are:

• Eligibility to represent a nation is based upon the birthplace of the player, the birthplace of any parent or grandparent, or residency over a five-year period.
  • A player can only elect to represent one nation in any calendar year
  • ‘Electing’ to represent a country has changed from playing for that country to being named in a 19-man squad (or final tournament squad in a sanctioned 9s competition) for that country.
  • A player eligible for any nations other than Australia, England, New Zealand can only make one switch between those nations in a four-year period. Players qualified for Australia, England and New Zealand plus any other nation can make multiple switches however they can only elect to represent one nation in any calendar year.
  • Players can only represent one of Australia, England or New Zealand in a career, even if eligible for more than one of those nations. If eligible they can play for nations outside of those three.
  • Players cannot represent Australia or New Zealand if they have elected to represent Great Britain and vice versa.
  • No player can play for more than one country in any recognised global event.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/international-rugby-leagues-eligibility-rules-updated/

What M-I-C-K-E-Y   M-O-U-S-E rules!!!

Really looking forward to this one. Watching a stream from Fox League from Aus. Plenty of Irony in the broadcast so far when talking about the lack of International Rugby League, or 'International Footy' as its being billed by Fox League.

Looks like a lively crowd inside Mt. Smart. 

Edited by EastLondonMike
  • Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Very impressive Kiwi start. Looks like losing those players to the smaller island nations hasn't fatally weakened them.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not a patch on last night this, is it.

• Haha 5

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Very impressive Kiwi start. Looks like losing those players to the smaller island nations hasn't fatally weakened them.

It’s certainly showing the depth of player in the NRL with the odd-sprinkling of SL quality (Lolohea)

Both of these nations and Samoa could name high-quality 24 man squads with some in reserve too.