Pacific Tests - June 25th

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

They will be better than that but their pack was beaten up and their halves are poor. They look way off a potential WC winning side to my eye 

Fair, on today's showing.

1 minute ago, OriginalMrC said:

Brilliant to see these tests. Needs to be an annual thing now. NZ look very good and surely a contender to win the World Cup considering the Aussies consider they can just turn up completely unprepared and win it 

Who will back against them, I wouldn't not even with your money.

12 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Agreed. Tonga are miles off. Tier 2 indeed. 

Miles off is a big call, lost by 20 to what may well be the best team in the world with Talakai, Tupou, Lolohea and Tevita Pangai as all guaranteed first-teamers missing. 

They'll be disappointed but at the same time gave debuts to some quality players, unfortunately Amone was a bit out of his depth and Kotoni can't be expected to cover those playmaking duties. NZ is a bad matchup because their pack the best in the world and their go-forward that underpins their playstyle just wasn't there.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Tonga are lacking a spine with the skill & subtly needed at this level,if teams can match their physicality they seem to struggle as shown today.

Sure, their spine is there weak point and always has been however they have constantly won at this level over past few years beating Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain.

I wouldn’t write them off for the WC due to having a poor spine.

18 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

the Aussies consider they can just turn up completely unprepared and win it 

The Aussies are going to turn up completely unprepared and win it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Sure, their spine is there weak point and always has been however they have constantly won at this level over past few years beating Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain.

I wouldn’t write them off for the WC due to having a poor spine.

Not writing anyone off but it must be a major concern that their traditional strength,their forward power was outmuscled today by the Kiwis.

21 minutes ago, UTK said:

Miles off is a big call, lost by 20 to what may well be the best team in the world with Talakai, Tupou, Lolohea and Tevita Pangai as all guaranteed first-teamers missing. 

They'll be disappointed but at the same time gave debuts to some quality players, unfortunately Amone was a bit out of his depth and Kotoni can't be expected to cover those playmaking duties. NZ is a bad matchup because their pack the best in the world and their go-forward that underpins their playstyle just wasn't there.

Really like how you state things here, UTK.

• Thanks 1

Yes! A try for the Cook Islands! Very glad they won't be nilled.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

23 minutes ago, UTK said:

Not really. Would a Tonga side with those players get much closer to what was a clunky New Zealand? 

Well read and great hands in that interception by David Nofoaluma.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Not really. Would a Tonga side with those players get much closer to what was a clunky New Zealand? 

Given they like others haven’t played Test RL for 3 years nobody really knows.

12 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Yes, you're underselling the difference a lot here. 

Their halfback/chief playmaker and two players selected for Origin will replace three 19, 20 and 21 year olds with 19, 25 and 13 NRL games experience respectively. TPJ was also one of the best on field in their win against Australia. 

This is without considering potential commits such as David Fifita as well.

It's interesting that these games are being played to NRL rules rather than international ones that will be used in the world cup (they have captain's challenge, etc).

Were the northern hemisphere matches last week reffed as they will be in the world cup?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

They don’t have the players, really. Thought they were back to looking like ‘New Zealand A’ tonight. 

That was my feeling as well, in all honesty. 

I do think Lolohea will spark them up a great deal, and offer much-needed class.

1 minute ago, UTK said:

Yes, you're underselling the difference a lot here. 

Their halfback/chief playmaker and two players selected for Origin will replace three 19, 20 and 21 year olds with 19, 25 and 13 NRL games experience respectively. TPJ was also one of the best on field in their win against Australia. 

This is without considering potential commits such as David Fifita as well.

Fair point on Pangai but Lolohea simply isn’t good enough. That he is their only playmaker tells its own story. 

They seem miles off, sorry.

• Confused 1

RIDICULOUS try assist from Josh Schuster for Nofoaluma's 4th.

Skipping across-field inside his half, straightening into a hole, looking left with tongue out, and then grubbering off the outside of his right for his wing-man to get the perfect bounce and streak away.

He'll like looking back on that and grinning. Seems like a real confidence player.

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Fair point on Pangai but Lolohea simply isn’t good enough. That he is their only playmaker tells its own story. 

He's playing really well for Hudds, isn't he? I think you're perhaps being a touch unfair and overly downcast.

26 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Not writing anyone off but it must be a major concern that their traditional strength,their forward power was outmuscled today by the Kiwis.

Fair enough but I don’t think they will be that concerned.

Maybe NZ have the best forward pack in the world! Wouldn’t be an outrageous claim.

Regardless, Tonga is on the other side of the WC draw to NZ & Australia so they can only play either of them if they reach the final. Tonga will be very confident in making the final as they only need to get past England & Samoa.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Well I respect that is your opinion but people have been saying this about Tonga forever and yet they've done it with Lolohea against Australia, New Zealand and Great Britain already. 

All they have to do is get to the final because anything can happen on the day and I'm more than happy to say they're capable of doing that.

• Like 1