Pacific Tests - June 25th

7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Fair point on Pangai but Lolohea simply isn’t good enough. That he is their only playmaker tells its own story. 

They seem miles off, sorry.

Lolehea was their playmaker when Tonga beat GB & Australia in 2019 (the last time Tonga played before today). As a result of his play during that year he was one of the 5 nominated players for the 2019 Golden Boot award (best international player in the world) losing out to Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

Isn’t he currently coming 2nd in the Super League Man of Steel voting (I could be wrong)?

Evidence suggest that he may be slightly better than what you are making him out to be!

I enjoyed the Samoan ball movement and backline talent.

If they can get Papalii up front and Luai in the halves I think they can really threaten England.

Brave showing by the Cook Islands. A lot of players coming together and playing against players playing at an elite level. They can be very proud of putting their hands up and doing the islands proud.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Lolehea was their playmaker when Tonga beat GB & Australia in 2019 (the last time Tonga played before today). As a result of his play during that year he was one of the 5 nominated players for the 2019 Golden Boot award (best international player in the world) losing out to Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

Isn’t he currently coming 2nd in the Super League Man of Steel voting (I could be wrong)?

Evidence suggest that he may be slightly better than what you are making him out to be!

Golden Boot! C’mon, chief. 

In fairness Lolohea seems to grow a leg playing for Tonga but in general their lack of creativity and poor kicking game is a real issue for them. If you can stop their pack - and it was smashed today - there’s not a lot else there. 

5 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

If they can get Papalii up front and Luai in the halves I think they can really threaten England.

Brave showing by the Cook Islands. A lot of players coming together and playing against players playing at an elite level. They can be very proud of putting their hands up and doing the islands proud.

For parts of the game Samoa we’re made to look pretty average but then they’d suddenly explode & produce a bit of magic,should be a great WC opener against England.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Samoa are really interesting as they have far more talent from Origin that could potentially play for them than any other pacific nation.

In addition to Papali & Luai there’s Junior Paulo, Stephan Crichton, Brian To’o, Joseph Suaalii, Murray Tuilagi, Tino Fa’asuamaleaui, Jeremiah Nanai all named for game 2 with Samoan decent.

Some will obviously make the Aussie squad but some won’t which will be interesting assuming they declare for Samoa.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Golden Boot! C’mon, chief. 

In fairness Lolohea seems to grow a leg playing for Tonga but in general their lack of creativity and poor kicking game is a real issue for them. If you can stop their pack - and it was smashed today - there’s not a lot else there. 

Haha yeah, the Golden Boots a bit of a joke these days! But my point was that he’s not as terrible as your making out. 

Nice try for the Kumuls!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

New Zealand were really impressive, the best I've seen them play for years. Big athletic players all over the pitch and they played some good rugby at times. I thought Tonga hung in well considering the lack of field position and decent possession.

The big difference for me was the kicking game and scrum half's. It was 50+ minutes before Tonga did a decent kick that turned NZ and got them any yards. It was probably the only one the entire game too. Every kick before that was pathetic, lucky to go 20 metres, and they may as well have just run the ball. I thought Amone was very poor, swap him and Hughes and that game would have been much closer. Tonga were playing with one arm tied behind their back and were losing 30 metres in every exchange of possession.

Again it highlights the importance of a quality kicking game to have any chance of competing in international RL. Tonga really need to sort that out. England take note.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 5

Nice work from Justin Olam. One of the most improved players in the NRL over the last 4-5 years. Proof you don't have to be an instant star to make it in the NRL.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

The Fiji FB Sunia Turuva isn't harming his market value at all, is he? Not the biggest player, but handling these huge bombs again and again.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

McKenzie Yei in by the posts!

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

PNG's first try was a thing of beauty.

A run-around link-up between backs and then a goose-step to take an opponent on the outside, before finding the pass.

Laybutt has been great for the Kumuls!

Power and passion and that Yei charge-over on HT to put them in front was awesome.

Most enjoyable half of the three men's tests so far IMO!

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 1