Can we maintain that top 6 spot?

HP Beans

I’m interested to know other peoples thoughts on wether the Raiders can maintain that top 6 spot,the season is about halfway through now and we are sitting sixth.

We have had some fantastic wins away from home this season which has been an Achilles heal for many Raiders teams in the past.

Will the result against London let us down,can we go to Sheffield and win?

Certainly going to be an exciting second half of the season,I just hope we can keep the momentum going👍🏻

I don’t see any reason on current form why we can’t end up in 6th.  I think we should get wins against Widnes (Bash) Whitehaven (H) Dewsbury (H), London (A) Bradford (H)

Then for push games in my opinion are Sheffield (A) Newcastle (A) and Halifax (H). So I think our points from the season will range from Minimum 29 to 37 maximum and I think that should be enough to see us in the top 6.

Although I don’t think financially getting in the top 6 will gain us much money. Unless someone can tell me differently? As I would imagine it would be an away game against Leigh or Featherstone where we would be hammered. 

No matter how we finish in the table we have had a cracking season and the club are doing lots of brilliant things so hats off to the Board, Steve Neale and all the staff. 

Edited by pennington
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, pennington said:

Although I don’t think financially getting in the top 6 will gain us much money. Unless someone can tell me differently? As I would imagine it would be an away game against Leigh or Featherstone where we would be hammered. 

Sixth place in the league will get you and away day at third in the league in the first round of the playoffs, so likely to be away at York or Fax, which with a shared gate after expenses IIRC, which in actual fact is likely to be even less money than an away day at Leigh or Fev.

Playoffs:

Week 1 is 3 v 6 and 4 v 5

Week 2 is 1 v lowest placed winner from 3-6 and 2 v highest placed winner from 3-6

Week 3 is 2 winners from week 2 in the final at the highest place team's ground

Edited by The Grinder
  • Like 1

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

Personally think the pressure of staying up is now gone so everything now is a bonus. Looking at the fixtures there’s a fair few winnable games to come, also some hard games, away at Batley and Sheffield come to mind.  Much rather it was like this than going to the last couple of games to avoid relegation. 

• Like 4

I think it's been a good season so far, I can't see us getting relegated so as long as the team keeps putting in that effort I'll be very happy with the progress the club is making.

• Like 2

Shipbuilider01.png

I think we can most definitely remain in the top 6.

It's a shame we're not playing this weekend as looking from our previous results we have hit a bit of form, especially after the Leigh game.

Yes we were unfortunate not to get the result against Leigh, however tallying up the points for and against from our last couple of performances, we have scored 130 points for and only conceived 32..... 28 of them against Leigh.

I suppose a good indicator too will be when we play Fax at home a week Monday.  They too will be looking at top 6 position so this game should be a cracker!!

• Like 2
BarrowRaiders-Enforcer-1.png

• 3 weeks later...

The black cloud hanging over us is the proposed 2x10 leagues that looks very likely to be introduced in 2024.

You can bet that clubs like London, Newcastle, Sheffield etc will be guaranteed a place in the set up.

Clubs like Barrow will probably be left to play in the 3rd division with the likes of W.Wales and Cornwall.

Hope I'm wrong.

4 hours ago, Bring back GB said:

The black cloud hanging over us is the proposed 2x10 leagues that looks very likely to be introduced in 2024.

You can bet that clubs like London, Newcastle, Sheffield etc will be guaranteed a place in the set up.

Clubs like Barrow will probably be left to play in the 3rd division with the likes of W.Wales and Cornwall.

Hope I'm wrong.

Pessimistic is that. A top 8 spot would get you into any 10x2 scenario and after watching your progress lately i can see you achieving that. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

Pessimistic is that. A top 8 spot would get you into any 10x2 scenario and after watching your progress lately i can see you achieving that. 

Agreed but I can't see the selection process being as straight forward as that 

Barrow are a prime example of how a promoted club should do things,jumping into the championship after winning div 1,building behind the scenes to build the squad, getting the right type of players who the local players  can build and compete at the higher level with.what a squad Barrow could have if they could add a A team, lads would not have to travel  to scolerships down Lancashire or play up the coast at whitehaven or town,if they could add a A team I would think Barrow  could build and be a top team in championship  and possibly super league in years to come if they can keep building,good luck to them,Cumbria needs a top club.

• Like 5

Nicked that in the last minute 😎

• Like 1

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Looks like we have developed a side which just knows how to win.  I thought Sheffield played very well first 60 but I haven't seen a last 20 like that in a long time.

We really need to win the next 2 games. If we win both I we will mathematically be in the play offs as I don't expect Widnes to win at Batley next week or Bradford to beat Halifax at the bash. It will be nice playing against Leigh, Batley and Fev knowing there is no pressure at all. 

What a comeback & can I listen to the commentary on repeat as I missed most of the game today due to travelling, stopped looking at FlashScore with 25 remaining thinking we were done for, Huge surprise seeing the results, Everyone take a newbie to our game v Bradfut, The lads deserve it.

• 1 month later...

Maybe the header needs changing to “The pursuit for 4th”,who would have thought we would be competing for a home playoff game at this stage.

York bumped us back down to 6th last night with a good win over Sheffield,but we can sneak into 4th with a win over Newcastle today.

Batley play their derby match on Monday night against Dewsbury.

Tough game today but Up the Raiders!