Can we maintain that top 6 spot?

HP Beans

Saw us at -16 and looked at Newcastles team and paper and thought the handicap looked mad. 

Some of the tries were breathtaking. 

Dewsbury next week should be comfortable so I think the last day will go down to us away at London and Batley away at Leigh. I suspect York will win both games so I feel we finish either 4th or 6th. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RSN said:

Saw us at -16 and looked at Newcastles team and paper and thought the handicap looked mad. 

Some of the tries were breathtaking. 

Dewsbury next week should be comfortable so I think the last day will go down to us away at London and Batley away at Leigh. I suspect York will win both games so I feel we finish either 4th or 6th. 

Think you will finish 4th or 5th can't see you losing either of your two games, York will end up 6th, weve had a shocking second half of a season, can even see Newcastle beating us,well done on your season you've had a great one.

Edited by spanishknight
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, spanishknight said:

Think you will finish 4th or 5th can't see you losing either of your two games, York will end up 6th, weve had a shocking second half of a season, can even see Newcastle beating us,well done on your season you've had a great one.

Newcastle are a basket case - just dodging relegation due to being leapfrogged by Haven.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

21 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Newcastle are a basket case - just dodging relegation due to being leapfrogged by Haven.

Another example of failure by the RFL. Newcastle were gifted a place in the Championship over Barrow by the RFL on the grounds that they were the most likely to succeed. 

All that glisters.....

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

3 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Another example of failure by the RFL. Newcastle were gifted a place in the Championship over Barrow by the RFL on the grounds that they were the most likely to succeed. 

All that glisters.....

It was guesswork though and most RL fans on these forums seemed to agree with the choice at the time. Had they been correct then, no doubt, you would now be praising the decision.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

39 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

It was guesswork though and most RL fans on these forums seemed to agree with the choice at the time. Had they been correct then, no doubt, you would now be praising the decision.

But they were not correct. Hence my comment that they failed.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing of course and it might have been the best thing for Barrow, giving them time to organise themselves.

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Only the Lancs and Yorks posters were in agreement, I think most Cumbrians were mistified or disappointed about the RFL choice as they knew that Barrow were far better option at this point in time. 

Edited by Johnny Ringo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Ringo said:

Only the Lancs and Yorks posters were in agreement, I think most Cumbrians were mistified or disappointed about the RFL choice as they knew that Barrow were far better option at this point in time. 

As a development/expansion option? I think not.

8 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

As a development/expansion option? I think not.

What I'm saying is, development or expansion option or not, a lot of us were saying it would not work out for Newcastle, crowd numbers were never going to grow just yet and Barrow were the best real option to move up and progress as they could easily average 2.5k a crowds a week and their academy squad and ladies team etc were already developed. According to the RFL all of the top L1 clubs clubs were being assessed and in the running, not just an expansion club. A few of us were shot down on here for saying Newcastle wasn't the best option. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Johnny Ringo said:

What I'm saying is, development or expansion option or not, a lot of us were saying it would not work out for Newcastle, crowd numbers were never going to grow just yet and Barrow were the best real option to move up and progress as they could easily average 2.5k a crowds a week and their academy squad and ladies team etc were already developed. According to the RFL all of the top L1 clubs clubs were being assessed and in the running, not just an expansion club. A few of us were shot down on here for saying Newcastle wasn't the best option. 

Fantasy.

I recall the general opinion on these forums (not specifically the Barrow one) as being positive. At the time Newcastle seemed on the up and had greater potential than any Cumbrian club could be seen to have. As others have said, hindsight is a great advantage.

59 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Fantasy.

I recall the general opinion on these forums (not specifically the Barrow one) as being positive. At the time Newcastle seemed on the up and had greater potential than any Cumbrian club could be seen to have. As others have said, hindsight is a great advantage.

What is Fantasy?

Its a reality and the average crowd figures are around that number. I don't care what the majority thought at the time, it seems that the minority opinion has proven to be the wiser opinion. Its not hindsight at all, its what others thought at the time. 

Edited by Johnny Ringo
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Johnny Ringo said:

What is Fantasy?

Its a reality and the average crowd figures are around that number. I don't care what the majority thought at the time, it seems that the minority opinion has proven to be the wiser opinion. Its not hindsight at all, its what others thought at the time. 

I keep searching for those average crowd figures that you quote: 

Rugby League RKC - Team by Season (rugbyleaguerecords.com)

Can you point me to the relevant recent season?

6 minutes ago, Rowan said:

Come on, BJ - those figures are six years old. The average at Craven Park this season is 2,500-plus (figures available each week in League Express. Unlike some clubs Barrow still announce the crowd figures).

Just look at the web site - you can search by club, year etc.

I don't buy LE any longer since they started printing Covid denial letters.

Edited by Blind side johnny

1300 at the Rams apparently last night 🤯 don't ask me where mind

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

1 hour ago, Piggy's mate said:

1300 at the Rams apparently last night 🤯 don't ask me where mind

Well, at least we don't hide our attendances PM, unlike your lot.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

We were told by the RFL that we beat Newcastle in virtually every criteria bar facilities when we were denied promotion. Crowds, community club set-up, ourleague members, social media numbers etc etc but were also told that they had every confidence we would achieve Championship status on our own and Newcastle needed a leg up. It was a kick in the teeth to be told we had the strongest bid yet denied promotion.

There seems to be a fixation with having big cities in Super League but we have a massive catchment area with no rugby league clubs on our doorstep. We have had schools from Levens, Milnthorpe and Kendal this season.

For me, the most important thing is to have strong community foundations and crowds. No matter how you paint it the TV companies do not want to see clubs with 500 crowds . We are improving our crowds but we must continue to forge links with the community and start to think 3000, then 3500 then 4000. We are getting the kids interested and I'm sure we can continue to grow

Once you get the crowds in the ground everything comes a little easier like selling sponsorship, match day hospitality, selling events, grants for community work etc etc

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
BarrowRaiders-TheMan-1.png