Interesting news from the SW

Here we go again, another blo....dy schism.

Is it true that the RFL are giving financial backing to the All Golds?

If so, why?

• Like 1

The Bath website allows you to buy at least 1m tickets at £6 each for a game v Oxford supposedly played (no result listed) in July 2021.

That indicates a state of serious disorganisation (being charitable) within the Bath club now Buchan is in charge.

I don't know the situation at All Golds, but he consistently opposes RL authority, has promised much and delivered nothing for RL. He's a chancer in my opinion.

Oh, and never mind Euro XIII, whatever happened to the Mallorca Goblins RLFC?

7 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

The Bath website allows you to buy at least 1m tickets at £6 each for a game v Oxford supposedly played (no result listed) in July 2021.

That indicates a state of serious disorganisation (being charitable) within the Bath club now Buchan is in charge.

I don't know the situation at All Golds, but he consistently opposes RL authority, has promised much and delivered nothing for RL. He's a chancer in my opinion.

Oh, and never mind Euro XIII, whatever happened to the Mallorca Goblins RLFC?

We've had more than our fair share of promisers, fools, chancers, rebels and charlatans.

In some respects, it's a good argument for not supporting (financially) any new start-ups.

The offer of ''help'' draws the hopeless, the incompetent, the dishonest and the downright fraudulent.

I can remember meeting Maurice Oldroyd and Tom Keaveney to discuss joining BARLA and after the introductions Tom said ''it's £50 to join''.

''Fair enough Tom'' said I.

34 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

We've had more than our fair share of promisers, fools, chancers, rebels and charlatans.

In some respects, it's a good argument for not supporting (financially) any new start-ups.

The offer of ''help'' draws the hopeless, the incompetent, the dishonest and the downright fraudulent.

I can remember meeting Maurice Oldroyd and Tom Keaveney to discuss joining BARLA and after the introductions Tom said ''it's £50 to join''.

''Fair enough Tom'' said I.

Tbf there is already zero help for new clubs. The RFL aren’t interested in expansion, though I suspect new clubs in the heartlands get the same. 

13 hours ago, Jughead said:

Another Buchan success story. 

Pretty much sums it up 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Tbf there is already zero help for new clubs. The RFL aren’t interested in expansion, though I suspect new clubs in the heartlands get the same. 

Between you and I Eddie, they are hopeless. They haven't got a plan, they haven't got any staff, and no money.

For me, BARLA or some other body should be running the game (all the clubs) and they should let the circus (pro-clubs) look after itself.

The remit should be to efficiently administer the existing game (maintain the status quo) and their prime focus above all else, should be on promoting increased participation(forward movement or growth).

We should all say a silent prayer of thanks for the likes of Bob Brown of Hemel Hempstead (and countless others) for their initiative, energy and dogged determination to establish clubs (in the wilderness) and keep on growing.

People like them are the real heroes of our game.

So far, this Dean Buchan seems like a storm in a tea-cup, all bluster and no substance.

I'm prepared to give anyone with a bit of initiative the benefit of the doubt, but sooner or later, you've got to do the business.

Come on Dean, the balls in your in-goal area.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

We should all say a silent prayer of thanks for the likes of Bob Brown of Hemel Hempstead (and countless others) for their initiative, energy and dogged determination to establish clubs (in the wilderness) and keep on growing.  People like them are the real heroes of our game.

Here, here.  But I have been told that due to lockdown, Hemel do not have any senior teams anymore and are only running juniors this season.  

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Jasper said:

Here, here.  But I have been told that due to lockdown, Hemel do not have any senior teams anymore and are only running juniors this season.  

That’s right, it’s a massive shame. The Southern Conference seems to be getting weaker every year, only 11 teams left in it and plenty of cancelled fixtures this year. 

• Sad 1

I don't know the situation but my immediate reaction is that it is hard to see how this ends well for them. If you resign from the governing body how do you get to compete in said body's competitions and hence any meaningful competition?

• Sad 1

Slightly off topic, have been told Hemel run all junior's, but are looking to join Southern Conference League again next season. Had a conversation at club that the U-18 age group was dropped by the London Junior League which did help the development of future players. All junior finals being played there along with the London origin series. Seems the RFL still have a lot of faith. The club have spent £100,000 of it's own money along with a £90,000 grant for new n existing changing rooms upgrades.

Edited by newbe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, newbe said:

Slightly off topic, have been told Hemel run all junior's, but are looking to join Southern Conference League again next season. Had a conversation at club that the U-18 age group was dropped by the London Junior League which did help the development of future players. All junior finals being played there along with the London origin series. Seems the RFL still have a lot of faith. The club have spent £100,000 of it's own money along with a £90,000 grant for new n existing changing rooms upgrades.

As in the u18 league kicked Hemel out?