Newcastle away.

Peter Winthorpe

13 hours ago, Town utd said:

Agree ru took all are professional coaching and top players, Farrell, Edwards,Ford just to name a few,in my view rl should appoint Edwards and run the rfl.

All the top players & coaches,like who ?

The same Edwards who jettisoned the Wigan coaches job when he was offered more money by French RU & who has no experience of running anything ?

13 hours ago, Marrafan said:

Except for rugby league. Nothing super about super league, the so called promised land of Lindsey’s has seen the sport decline at all levels. 

And that’s solely down to Superleague is it ?

Or is it because the sport is seen as a niche northern sport played along a motorway corridor followed by people who want it to continue like that & would rather it went back to the 1970’s than attempt to increase the sports footprint & national popularity.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Unicorn 106 said:

We have to move with the times, but that small number of RL supporters was once much larger. Not many spectator sports in this country have seen attendances plummet like RL has. Maybe speedway and greyhound racing but we are suppose to be one of the country's top sports. This might upset some, but the people who run the RU could teach us a thing or two about all aspects of running a sport.

Most of those fans are either dead or too old to attend & we haven’t replaced them because the Young of today have little interest in a sport thats predominantly based in 2 counties straddling a motorway in the north of England,which makes your assumption that we are one of the top sports in the country laughable.

The people who run RU could teach us the importance of International competition but that’s about it,participation in the sport is falling alarmingly & all but a couple of Premiership clubs are hemorrhaging money and are relying on wealthy owners to survive despite the sport having the advantages of being played nationwide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

And that’s solely down to Superleague is it ?

Or is it because the sport is seen as a niche northern sport played along a motorway corridor followed by people who want it to continue like that & would rather it went back to the 1970’s than attempt to increase the sports footprint & national popularity.

Yes.
What has SL done to expand/promote the game? 
Ditched Paris St Germain

Ditched Celtic Crusaders

Ditched Toronto Wolfpack

Whinged about two French teams.

Almost killed off the Challenge Cup

Accepted sponsorship deals to stick pictures on wagons/get free pizzas.

The last 25 years have been about the big 6 or so looking after themselves and b#@$*r the rest. 

So flip the coin and tell me how SL has grown and improved the game instead of blaming the people that support the game.

• Like 10

55 minutes ago, Marrafan said:

Yes.
Ditched Paris St Germain

Ditched Celtic Crusaders

Ditched Toronto Wolfpack

The last 25 years have been about the big 6 or so looking after themselves and b#@$*r the rest. 

So flip the coin and tell me how SL has grown and improved the game instead of blaming the people that support the game.

Kent invicta, Nottingham outlaws ? and let a traditional team like Bramley go to the wall. I love the game but have no time for the clowns who have been in charge for the past 30yrs or more.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Unicorn 106 said:

Kent invicta, Nottingham outlaws ? and let a traditional team like Bramley go to the wall. I love the game but have no time for the clowns who have been in charge for the past 30yrs or more.

Mansfield Marksmen, Cardiff Blue Dragons. The list is endless. Not forgetting Carlisle

• Like 3

The name has changed but is the product better . The more ‘ super league’ I watch the more I think it looks anything but super . I think back to the early 90s watching the sport and I don’t know it just seemed a hell of a lot better than what’s shoved out now . There’s some bang average teams at the top end , and they want an increasing share of the pie which weakens everyone else below 

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, Brookie said:

Mansfield Marksmen, Cardiff Blue Dragons. The list is endless. Not forgetting Carlisle

Yes,so many clubs welcomed then sadly failed................But even the RFL supremo wizards can't conjure up droves of support for clubs outside the traditional areas.

And RU was always countrywide, even in the days of illegal boot money - and it was easy for their hierarchy to form countrywide pro leagues whereas RL had no bases ready for pro action in those areas (i.e. the ones mentioned as gone west)so trying to capture large support was, still is, too big of a task - hence gates of 200/300. Only Toronto had regular decent crowds......probably via curious Canadians looking for different sporting fix.

2 hours ago, Marrafan said:

Yes.
Ditched Paris St Germain

Ditched Celtic Crusaders

Ditched Toronto Wolfpack

My original post on this thread was in reply to a poster saying we shouldn’t be ‘wasting’ money on non heartland clubs and as an expansionist I do agree that expansion was done poorly but you can’t have it both ways.

The outcry among heartland supporters when London Broncos were given extra funding was deafening as it was when PSG were given preferential treatment,so no they like Celtic Crusaders weren’t ditched,they were financial basket cases that really shouldn’t have been allowed into Superleague as was the the potential new owner of Toronto post covid.

Surely it’s the RFL’s role to grow the game not Superleague clubs who to be fair to a few of them have really great community programs,it was the RFL who lied to Sport England about participation numbers which then led to the loss of development officers across the country with devastating effect.

1 hour ago, Unicorn 106 said:

The simple fact is that expansion on the whole has been a pins in maps exercise with new clubs excepted that didn’t have the financial means to survive without large handouts the game couldn’t provide.

I guess we’ll have to see what changes IMG want to bring to the table and if the clubs have the will to embrace those changes.

11 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

My original post on this thread was in reply to a poster saying we shouldn’t be ‘wasting’ money on non heartland clubs and as an expansionist I do agree that expansion was done poorly but you can’t have it both ways.

The outcry among heartland supporters when London Broncos were given extra funding was deafening as it was when PSG were given preferential treatment,so no they like Celtic Crusaders weren’t ditched,they were financial basket cases that really shouldn’t have been allowed into Superleague as was the the potential new owner of Toronto post covid.

Surely it’s the RFL’s role to grow the game not Superleague clubs who to be fair to a few of them have really great community programs,it was the RFL who lied to Sport England about participation numbers which then led to the loss of development officers across the country with devastating effect.

So after 25 years “a few” SL clubs have some good community programmes. Surely they all should have them?

SL was supposed to make us more of a match for the Aussies at International level. Tell me how that worked out. 

SL broke away, appointed its own CEO and negotiated its own deals. That went well didn’t it. SL was pure and simple born out of greed by the big clubs. Nothing has changed since other than the quality of the product has declined and the gap between the haves and have nots is larger. 

If the future of the game is watching some of the dross served up by SL plus endless loop fixtures then God help us. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Marrafan said:

So after 25 years “a few” SL clubs have some good community programmes. Surely they all should have them?

SL was supposed to make us more of a match for the Aussies at International level. Tell me how that worked out. 

SL broke away, appointed its own CEO and negotiated its own deals. That went well didn’t it. SL was pure and simple born out of greed by the big clubs. Nothing has changed since other than the quality of the product has declined and the gap between the haves and have nots is larger. 

If the future of the game is watching some of the dross served up by SL plus endless loop fixtures then God help us. 

Now your just cherry picking the points to fit your agenda,I’ll leave you to it,careful you don’t ##### yourself sharpening that pitchfork 

10 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Now your just cherry picking the points to fit your agenda,I’ll leave you to it,careful you don’t ##### yourself sharpening that pitchfork 

Still waiting on you telling me how SL has grown and improved the game. So far a few community programmes. Is that it?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Newcastle are doing some great things developing the game in a non heartland area but it is concerning the sporting public of the North East are not backing them with attendances.

Using West Cumbrian kids. Pathetic crowds, good job they have a sugar daddy.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

The name has changed but is the product better . The more ‘ super league’ I watch the more I think it looks anything but super . I think back to the early 90s watching the sport and I don’t know it just seemed a hell of a lot better than what’s shoved out now . There’s some bang average teams at the top end , and they want an increasing share of the pie which weakens everyone else below 

Ive enjoyed watching the Championship more than sl games I've seen lately. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Newcastle are doing some great things developing the game in a non heartland area but it is concerning the sporting public of the North East are not backing them with attendances.

3 hours ago, Marrafan said:

Using West Cumbrian kids. Pathetic crowds, good job they have a sugar daddy.

I dont think anyone can fault what Newcastle are doing in trying to grow the game ,reserves, academy, links with the university, new amateur teams in the area,at least they do offer a pathway for young cumbrians, town and haven need to have a look and try to match what work they do. Unfortunately long term development needs patience and I'm quite disappointed that town seem to now have ditched that strategy and are just replacing people with anyone available 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Route66 said:

disappointed that town seem to now have ditched that strategy and are just replacing people with anyone available 

So do you reckon it's now a case of panic buying to stave off the slide into Division 1 oblivion?

I'm living in the hope that the RFL will help us with a two division structure next year .i.e. just the SL and Championship....maybe I need to stop the flow of 14% red stuff though?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Marrafan said:

Yes superleague summer rugby did much damage.....The Challenge Cup Final has never really recovered since the traditional end of season (May) sojourns made by thousands of BARLA trippers heading to the bright lights for a good weekend out...it was an annual much loved 'do'....granted some lads missed the final by being slaves to the booze...but Wembley crowds were most certainly boosted by the weekenders (Thursday to Sunday) of those days. SL you spoiled this.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Andrew Newton said:

Don't we know it. On the other hand you can't blame anyone for staying away really. 

If you are a proper Townie you can, we wanted to play in a higher league and that's where we are. Most of us will be happy to welcome Widnes and Leigh in the next couple of weeks rather than some of the championship 1 dregs. Let's just appreciate it while it lasts. Can understand the floating fans staying away, they aren't bothered about the quality of the opposition, they just want to watch a winning team. Town aren't just for Christmas. 💙

• Like 5

18 hours ago, chromedome said:

So do you reckon it's now a case of panic buying to stave off the slide into Division 1 oblivion?

I'm living in the hope that the RFL will help us with a two division structure next year .i.e. just the SL and Championship....maybe I need to stop the flow of 14% red stuff though?

Don't you dare talk about restructuring - Super greed really want to go down to 10 [pot divided by 10 is better than 12]

25 million divided by 10 is more than 25 million divided by 12

so your suggestion of 2 divisions wont work cos Super greed will want 1 league of 10 and one of 27.

Martyn Sadler came up with a great idea of going to a regional setup.

At the time [pre Cornwall] there were 36 teams = 6 leagues of 6

12 SL teams [ 2 in each regional league/conference] 

plus 2 champ and 2 L1 [ish]

It would not diminish SL as each team would play the other SL teams = 20 matches plus 10 conference matches  and magic if required 31 games. Conference winners trophies and play offs between teams at top of each conference for grand final.

MS explained it properly - but to simplify top 3 teams play fixtures v top 3 of the other conferences and bottom 3 teams play fixtures v bottom 3 of the other conferences.

No promotion & no relegation issues [so the threat of relegation and bankruptcy etc and loss of income negated].

NO LOOP FIXTURES

Even the poorest performing team would get 4 SL quality matches hence better gates = more income

first 10 matches per year against own league then fixtures set up so top teams play top teams of other 5 groups etc and bottom teams play bottom teams of other 5 groups etc, a bit more levelling up. [see Martyn Sadler's explanation so I don't have to explain again]

It all Sounded great until the finances were discussed which involved sharing it out a bit more fairer, that was when the S~~t hit the fan.

American football has done this for years and it works - I know initially their would be a lot of blow out scores - but to be honest that is already happening Salford v Wakefield and us v Newcastle to name just a couple.

Something has to change and just giving more money to the top 4/6 teams is not the answer

Read Martyn's plan it is worth a look 

I now wait for the Super greed backlash yet again

Edited by Derwent Parker
Corrections as initially written with Pint in hand