Changing who you support

Has anyone any experience of “switching” teams they support? Met a couple of mates from school earlier and we bumped into a lad in a Liverpool shirt we went to school with who supported Liverpool then Wigan Athletic and now appears to be back to Liverpool and it got me thinking about whether it happens much in Rugby League. 

I imagine people who move to London will adopt the Broncos and/or Skolars and maybe people support a local club if they’ve moved away from the heartlands area but I can’t imagine people switch clubs for many other reasons. 

Yep, my Cousin.

Used to come and watch Fartown with us and was even interviewed in Open Rugby magazine wearing his Fartown shirt, wore it to death too while working at Butlins in Skegness with me in the mid 90's.

Obviously we grew up, got on with our lives and the next time i saw him was when i got on a bus to go to Odsal to watch Fartown take another hammering when who did i see on the bus clad in a Bradford Bulls shirt, Bradford Bulls scarf and Bradford Bulls bandana?? Yep, the very same lad i went to Fartown games with.

Obviously very aghast at this i asked him WTF he was wearing that for, his reply was "i'm a bulls fan now mate", "why?" i asked, "Cos Fartown are ###### now".

This is a guy who watched us in the 2nd and 3rd divisions in crowds of just over 1,000 but he deserted then when they got into Super League to glory hunt rather than staying with us!!!

Needless to say he isn't a Bradford fan now either!!!!

I also know of many football fans who are now 'Town' fans after their recent exploits in the Premier League despite them being Man Utd/Liverpool/Man city fans for more years than i care to remember!!

Absolutely baffles me why grown men or women would do this!

Edited by daz39
  • Like 1

When Salford were on the verge of going out of business a few years ago, I was starting to think who I would support instead. Really struggled to come up with any team. For some reason, Hull KR were the only ones that I think I could have switched to!

... if only...

Just think of all the pain and anguish I could have avoided over the years.

I know a few who 'migrated' to Cas from Trinity over the years. 

One was the son of a former Wakefield player. Another used to wear a cas shirt with "ex wildcat" printed on the back.

So, glory seeking seems a common cause.

• Like 1

As someone who was a Bramley supporter, I've never been able to get into following another team once they folded.

I've drifted in and out of the game over twenty-odd years watching a few Leeds, Bradford and Hunslet matches each year, but never as a fan of any club.

When RL came back during the COVID restrictions I got back into the game a lot more, but still don't have a team and doubt I ever will again.

• Like 5

Impossible.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Who you support is part of who you are. Changing who I support would be like me cutting off my arm or something, it's that much a part of me. 

I can understand if you move to a new area, starting going down the local team but I don't think you stop supporting your original team, it's more going down the local team to watch a game of RL than going to watch that specific team. 

• Like 4

Never,Never,Never. 

Lived in Warrington 30 years. You can take a man out of Leigh, but you will never take Leyth out of the man !

I have managed the odd ‘cricket clap’ when invited to Wilderspool or the HJ by neighbours 😂

• Like 1

Not really switched but when fed up I favoured Les Dracs.

I suppose, although I love RL, if SRD ceased to exist I'd be an ex-leaguie. Does that count or do I need a  replica shirt?

Edited by Oxford

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

In soccer, I grew up in Sheffield and I'm a Wednesday fan. That will never change. When I moved to York I started watching York City and have followed them all over the shop, but I'm still an owl. I'm a bit of a weirdo though as I watch all kinds of lower league sides around here, but it's always clear (to me at least) who I support.

Similarly the Knights are my side and always will be, even if I occasionally go to watch Trinity.

• Like 1

Years ago i used to watch c@$ with my Father in law ,we both followed Fev but he used to meet his pit mates. He used to say " I can never understand yer shouting for other teams against c@$". I could never shout for em.

• Haha 2

Not in RL, but in football, I grew up supporting a glory team in the early 80s - my Dad used to take me.

When I was old enough, I started going with my mates to watch my local team. We all claimed that was our second team and there was an eclectic mix of 'first' teams.

Really, we all supported the Posh and most of us are still regulars.

I can live with my move - or divorce and second marriage - because I moved down and not up in search of glory.

People called Romans they go the house

I can remember my old man, a Balmain supporter, telling me as a child ( roughly  5 ) about, it seemed almost mythical, this team that had won 11 Premierships in a row. I was hooked and I `ve followed St. George ever  ever since. The jersey didn`t hurt either.

My eldest in the early 2000`s ( circa 2005 - 2006 ) shopped around: St. George, Tigers, Broncos, before finally settling on the Roosters, good choice they`ve rarely not made the finals.

My youngest, poor ######, he`s followed the Dragons like his Dad, I feel like I gave him a bum steer, but we did have a great year in 2010, he even had a little ` shrine `on his dresser that year, which I still have a great photo of.

• Like 2

I could go as far as having other teams that I also want to win if we're watching a match in which we're not involved, but that's as far as I could go.

Clearly, when watching Saints vs Wire or L**ds I'm shouting for the ref, I could never bring myself to support any of those, but this year I'm quietly rooting for Toulouse to get themselves sorted out and have a good end to the season and I would love to see Wakey get themselves pulled out of the hole they're in.

For most other leagues and the NRL I just really want to see a good match and for each team I'm watching to do themselves proud, I would never describe myself as a proper supporter of any of them.

'Turn you inside out and lick you like a crisp packet.'

Boils down to it's either The Game you love or The Club.  

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

My team is widnes

It always will be

So sure, i can watch other teams, but supporting them is a different matter

Ive watched NW crusaders a few times and quite a few amature teams

12 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Never,Never,Never. 

Lived in Warrington 30 years. You can take a man out of Leigh, but you will never take Leyth out of the man !

I have managed the odd ‘cricket clap’ when invited to Wilderspool or the HJ by neighbours 😂

I was brought up in leigh played for the colts and A team moved to Warrington been there over 40 years and now a wire and have no problem cheering them on especially against leigh. (I will get my tin hat and wait) 

1 hour ago, bentleyman said:

Will never change not lived in Halifax for 58 years still my Team 

Even if you drift, for whatever reason, there's either an umbilical cord or the pull of gravity, I don't know which.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I was brought up in leigh played for the colts and A team moved to Warrington been there over 40 years and now a wire and have no problem cheering them on especially against leigh. (I will get my tin hat and wait) 

We’re you born in Firs ?😉

2 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

We’re you born in Firs ?😉

Probably can't say I remember much about my birth but lived in Westleigh until 19 got wed moved to Warrington never looked back.