Mens RLWC competing teams - Internationals, friendlies pre tournamanent start

So over the weekend just gone we've had the following have a hit out;

• England 
  • France 
  • Wales 

During the week we have ;

• Lebanon (v Malta...most likely without any NRL level representatives)

This upcoming weekend we have ;

• New Zealand 
  • Tonga
  • Samoa
  • PNG
  • Fiji
  • Cook Islands 

That's ten of the sixteen with at least one 2022 game pre tournament.

Any news re Italy, Greece, Jamaica, Scotland, Ireland having a game before the tournament, if even on its eve like games were held in 2013 ?

Will Australia being going into the tournament without a game ? 

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

NB. Australia played NZ in the April / May ANZAC test as their only game before heading over for the 2013 RLWC. 

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

I suspect Oz and NZ might play eachother before heading over, but nothing officially announced yet iirc.

England were due to play Fiji in Rochdale. Not sure if that has been scrapped with the tournament being moved.

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I suspect Oz and NZ might play eachother before heading over, but nothing officially announced yet iirc.

England were due to play Fiji in Rochdale. Not sure if that has been scrapped with the tournament being moved. 

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/35915/england-versus-fiji-postponed-until-october-2022

This article is a bit old now but it says the Fiji game is still gonna be played. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, The Partisan said:

So over the weekend just gone we've had the following have a hit out;

• England 
  • France 
  • Wales 

During the week we have ;

• Lebanon (v Malta...most likely without any NRL level representatives)

This upcoming weekend we have ;

• New Zealand 
  • Tonga
  • Samoa
  • PNG
  • Fiji
  • Cook Islands 

That's ten of the sixteen with at least one 2022 game pre tournament.

Any news re Italy, Greece, Jamaica, Scotland, Ireland having a game before the tournament, if even on its eve like games were held in 2013 ?

Will Australia being going into the tournament without a game ? 

Maybe games against Fiji, Scotland and Italy are viewed as warm ups. Why risk injuries in pre tournament games given that schedule?

Has been some confusion apparently over the scheduling of the Lebanon v Malta game.  Have been assured that it is happening mid week still (as in tonight Wednesday).  Broadcast live on the Foxtel Sports streaming service KAYO. 

3 hours ago, The Partisan said:

Has been some confusion apparently over the scheduling of the Lebanon v Malta game.  Have been assured that it is happening mid week still (as in tonight Wednesday).  Broadcast live on the Foxtel Sports streaming service KAYO. 

I wonder how much overlap there will be between the Malta team that played Montenegro in Malta last month and the one playing Lebanon in Sydney. Will they essentially be two separate teams, one Europe based and one Australian based?

Edited by Barley Mow

1 hour ago, Barley Mow said:

I wonder if how much overlap there will be between the Malta team that played Montenegro in Malta last month and the one playing Lebanon in Sydney. Will they essentially be two separate teams, one Europe based and one Australian based?

According to Malta RL only 2 players that played against Montenegro will play tonight, one of which is Jarrod Sammut and the other Zarrin Galea who plays local club footy in Brisbane.

• Thanks 1

Mention on ABC Radio last weekend that the Kangaroos MAY be playing a PNG selection as a warm up game pre RLWC.  

No details available.