Eamon O’Carroll resigns as Newcastle Head Coach

From a Thunder point of view, obviously disappointed it hasn't worked out for whatever reason.

However I still think that this project is exciting enough to attract some good quality candidates. There's so much potential for growth up here and yes Newcastle will always be a football city, but it's a sports mad city and Thunder being successful will attract more people. For now though it's about putting the foundations in place and getting those right.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Phil W said:

From a Thunder point of view, obviously disappointed it hasn't worked out for whatever reason.

However I still think that this project is exciting enough to attract some good quality candidates. There's so much potential for growth up here and yes Newcastle will always be a football city, but it's a sports mad city and Thunder being successful will attract more people. For now though it's about putting the foundations in place and getting those right.

One thing that shines through, in all the reports from Newcastle is that the base is continually growing.

''Putting the foundations in place''.

It's continually growing because the people there are well aware that it is an essential component in any plan to establish the sport in a new area and have consistently invested time, energy, ingenuity and money into increasing the size of the family from the bottom up.

Good on you blokes. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Probably a mutual decision. With worries about needing to finish in X position next year and squad to assemble next year.  

Still a genuinely exciting project for most coaches and full time pos.  Not many of those around.  Probably Betts until end of season.  

Could absolutely see Brian Mc putting his hand up if Fev dont go up and saying we need more big cities in SL and fewer small towns/villages...

McDermott's a good coach but Newcastle need a substantial increase in spending by the owner if they're going to challenge the top end of the Championship any time soon. 

• Like 1

I reckon Chris Thorman. Gateshead-born and a decent coach with a reputation to rebuild. He's been struggling to build a team/get his methods across at Workington and I wouldn't be surprised if he threw his cap into the ring. I also wouldn't be surprised if Workington "reluctantly" let him go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Was said in jest.  Betts and Mac wouldnt be there.  Yes they need to spend more but I imagine short term just about being right side of fence.  Second season ft next year so alot to learn from.  

It's tight isn't it? Even if we're going to a licensed 2x10, they're only on the cusp. Depends how ruthless the decision makers are. 

3 hours ago, fighting irish said:

One thing that shines through, in all the reports from Newcastle is that the base is continually growing.

''Putting the foundations in place''.

It's continually growing because the people there are well aware that it is an essential component in any plan to establish the sport in a new area and have consistently invested time, energy, ingenuity and money into increasing the size of the family from the bottom up.

Good on you blokes. 

I think that in the spirit of wishing these clubs well, there's a danger that we overlook the reality that the base is shrinking not growing.

All the best to them - they are an important project.

29 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

I think that in the spirit of wishing these clubs well, there's a danger that we overlook the reality that the base is shrinking not growing.

All the best to them - they are an important project.

That's very interesting. Do you have figures to support this statement? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Probably a mutual decision. With worries about needing to finish in X position next year and squad to assemble next year.  

Still a genuinely exciting project for most coaches and full time pos.  Not many of those around.  Probably Betts until end of season.  

Could absolutely see Brian Mc putting his hand up if Fev dont go up and saying we need more big cities in SL and fewer small towns/villages...

There are no villages or small towns with a SL team. 

41 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

That's very interesting. Do you have figures to support this statement? 

I'd be interested to see growth on any metric - what did you have in mind? - but I was especially thinking about the community game in the NE when you talked of the base and foundations. The NE men's league has contracted from 9 teams to 6 and something similar seems to have happened in the NE junior leagues. Very happy to be corrected.

24 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

I'd be interested to see growth on any metric - what did you have in mind? - but I was especially thinking about the community game in the NE when you talked of the base and foundations. The NE men's league has contracted from 9 teams to 6 and something similar seems to have happened in the NE junior leagues. Very happy to be corrected.

Last time I enquired, someone from the development group told me they keep records of participants and could demonstrate growth in overall participation numbers year on year. I have no current figures. I wonder if anyone involved from the North East would care to enlighten us?

Newcastle have disappointed this year, but that's sport. Arbitrary targets like winning Super League by 2030 I don't think helps.

Ambition is great but there will be setbacks along the way. Think now is the time to consolidate in the Championship and aim small at first. Like aiming to challenge for the play offs, then reach them, then go from there.

Newcastle's off field junior development excites me the most. It'll be a long project and it may never end up as a top club but continuing to have a steady presence in the North East with increasing participation is an achievement that should be celebrated.

Edited by Chris22
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

I think someone mentioned Cas but cas are amazing so like no Homers in the Simpsons we can say no small towns.

Bk to Thunder,  love to see them kick on next year.  Fev probably spending less next year and yes Toulouse are back but being in mix for top 6 has to be aim for full time team in second year.  

Tbf to Castleford (and I know I said there are no small towns but I forgot them), they draw from a much wider area than just their small town, so what does it matter where the administrative boundaries are. They get 8k to their games, which is far more worthy to SL than say London struggling to get 2k, or Newcastle doing the same if they get in. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yep.  If you only think they are capable of that and we have evidence that London could already get double 2k. Commercially getting 5k in London is probably worth more than Cas.  If we dont think we can grow or regrow in London's case we are consigning ourselves to eventually be a part time sport. 

Anyway thats another thread. Its an exciting opportunity up north and maybe they look abroad.  

Do you know what attendances London we’re getting the last time they were in SL? It’s a dead duck as far as a professional team is concerned. If they did ever manage to get 5k though I’m surprised that you think that’s better than Cas getting 8-9k. 

• Like 1

There really is no thread topic that cannot become a debate about Castleford and London's crowds relative to their population, is there?

In this case a thread about a bloke leaving the head coach's role at Newcastle.

• Like 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

22 hours ago, barnyia said:

Just read he's going to the Catalan elite 1 team as head coach, 

He was just not long ago second to McNamara along with Thomas Bosc. Coming back it seems to take over their U23s playing in Elite 1. Shows I think again the clubs determination to pull all the levers

• Like 3

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg