Leeds Rhinos vs Catalans Dragons Wheelchair Challenge Cup Final: Build up

Date for the diary and another chance to see an Anglo-French match up:

Saturday 25th June at 2.30pm live on BBC Sport

Leeds Rhinos vs Catalans Dragons

Road to the final:

https://www.therhinos.co.uk/2022/05/14/leeds-rhinos-to-face-catalans-dragons-in-2022-betfred-wheelchair-challenge-cup-final/

Highlights from the Challenge Cup Festival where both teams earned their place:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More info for anyone interested:

From Rugby League.com

Leeds Rhinos will take on Catalans Dragons in the 2022 Betfred Wheelchair Challenge Cup Final this Saturday, at the Allam Sports Centre in Hull.

Getting underway at 2.30pm, the current Cup holders will be hoping to see off French opposition to claim the title.

Tickets for the match are available at £10 for adults and £5 for concessions and under 16s, and can be bought ahead of the game by clicking HERE. Customers who have pre-bought will need to show a copy of their confirmation email in exchange for a wristband at ticketing point.

Those wishing to buy tickets on the day can do so on the gate, where a card-only system will be in place to purchase. Unreserved bleacher seating and accessible seating will be at the venue, with food and drink also available.

A clash between Gravesend Dynamite and Mersey Storm in the Wheelchair Trophy Final gets the day underway in a 11.30am kick off, with the doors open from 10.30am and day ticket sales starting at 10am.

Full Fixture Details:

Leeds Rhinos v Catalans Dragons - Betfred Wheelchair Challenge Cup Final

• Date: Saturday, June 25
  • Kick off: 2.30pm [doors open at 10.30am]
  • Venue: Allam Sports Centre, Hull, Inglemire Lane, Kingston Upon Hull HU6 7TS
  • Matchday sales available [card only]
  • Tickets: £10 adults / £5 concessions / £5 Under 16

Wheelchair Trophy Final: Gravesend Dynamite v Mersey Storm - 11:30am kick off

• Food and drink concessions available on the day
  • Contact enquiries@rfl.co.uk for more information

Preview on the BBC website:

Betfred Wheelchair Challenge Cup final
Venue: Allam Arena, Hull Date: Saturday, 25 June Kick-off: 14:30 BST Coverage: Live on BBC Sport platforms

Leeds Rhinos player-coach James Simpson is expecting a tough match when they face Catalans Dragons in the Wheelchair Challenge Cup final on Saturday.

The holders play the French side at the Allam Arena, with the game live on BBC iPlayer, BBC Sport website and app.

"They've dominated the French league for years and their starting line-up will all be internationals," he told BBC Radio Leeds.

"We knew they wouldn't enter if they didn't think they had a strong side."

He added: "It's brilliant that they're here and it's great in a World Cup year to face some of the players that we'll face later in the year.

"With France inventing this variation of the sport they've always been slightly ahead of the curve on wheelchair rugby and everything they do is built around being successful."

The Rhinos are looking to win the trophy for the third successive time, having done so in 2019 and 2021, with 2020's competition scrapped because of the coronavirus pandemic.

They beat les Dracs, who are competing in the competition for the first time, 8-0 in the round-robin section of qualifying for the final, also held in Hull.

That was the French side's only defeat, as they went on to beat Wigan in the semi-finals, while Leeds reached the showpiece with victory over Halifax Panthers.

"We're trying not to think about the three years on the bounce. We'd be absolutely buzzing if we did it, we really want it," Simpson said.

"With Leeds we're used to having adversity thrown at us in one way or another. We lost every game for about three years before we made a final and then we lost the first two Challenge Cup finals we made. It's in our blood to deal with adversity.

"In lockdown we were meeting up on grass pitches to throw balls around because that was all we could do. But we did what we could to be ready."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/61922589

6 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Is anyone going to this? Haven't decided yet whether I'm having a wander down there, just wondering if anyone else was? 

I’m stuck at a family birthday party, but will be watching on TV as it’s a top matchup.

If you do go, then don’t forget it’s card only matchday sale of a 10er.

Let us know what you thought of it.

49 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’m stuck at a family birthday party, but will be watching on TV as it’s a top matchup.

If you do go, then don’t forget it’s card only matchday sale of a 10er.

Let us know what you thought of it.

Unfortunately something else came up since I said I might be going so aren't able to make it after all. Will be able to watch on TV though at least. 

Damn it, forgot about the KO time for this. Ah well, at least it's still close at half time.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ooh, great speed of hand and mind for that Leeds try!

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 minutes ago, Moove said:

Well this has more than made up for wasting 80 minutes watching that shambles last night. Some ridiculous talent on show. Pace, power, ball handling skill and hard as nails. Top notch rugby league!

I've said before on here, over the last couple of years I think the wheelchair game has almost become my favourite form of our game. I've never seen a rubbish game of wheelchair league, always really exciting! 

• Like 1

Congratulations to Leeds Rhinos. Really well played in a brilliant game of Wheelchair RL.

In other Wheelchair RL news....

North Wales Crusaders Wh RL beat Hereford Harriers 58 - 45

North Wales Crusaders Wh RL have become the first #RugbyLeague club and only the tenth recipient of the insport Gold Award from Disability Sport Wales 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've said before on here, over the last couple of years I think the wheelchair game has almost become my favourite form of our game. I've never seen a rubbish game of wheelchair league, always really exciting! 

Whisper it, but Australia not winning all the trophies every time they deign to take part* is quite refreshing too.

*and not spoiling it for everyone else the rest of the time.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

33 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Whisper it, but Australia not winning all the trophies every time they deign to take part* is quite refreshing too.

*and not spoiling it for everyone else the rest of the time.

Wales Wheelchair RL have been in touch with the Aussies recently....and they ain't coming to the Wheelchair World Cup to make up the numbers!! They'll definitely be pushing England in their half of the competition....but, it has to be said, England are currently the team setting the standards in Wheelchair RL.

• Like 1

Just now, gogledd said:

Wales Wheelchair RL have been in touch with the Aussies recently....and they ain't coming to the Wheelchair World Cup to make up the numbers!! They'll definitely be pushing England in their half of the competition....but, it has to be said, England are currently the team setting the standards in Wheelchair RL.

I'm sure they'll be competitive... but Australia are not in a position to inflict their parochial and self-interested world-view on the running of this form of the game.

And that's a healthy sign.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I'm sure they'll be competitive... but Australia are not in a position to inflict their parochial and self-interested world-view on the running of this form of the game.

And that's a healthy sign.

Very true....and agree that its healthy. From my Welsh perspective, it will be great if we can get to the levels that England and France are setting. We will strive to get there and can assure anyone coming to Sheffield that Wales will be competitive and hungry to win this.

• Like 1

Just rewatched the final free from interruption this morning and it was fantastic again and another good advert for the sport.

Thought Leeds showed great intensity particularly in that 2nd half and Seb Bechara who was so good for England vs France the other week was a non factor for the Catalans Dragons today.

I’ve now bought a pair of tickets for the RL Wheelchair World Cup final in Manchester in November and can’t wait for it.

19 hours ago, gogledd said:

Congratulations to Leeds Rhinos. Really well played in a brilliant game of Wheelchair RL.

In other Wheelchair RL news....

North Wales Crusaders Wh RL beat Hereford Harriers 58 - 45

North Wales Crusaders Wh RL have become the first #RugbyLeague club and only the tenth recipient of the insport Gold Award from Disability Sport Wales 

Great news!

• Like 1

Full match report:

Leeds Rhinos are Betfred Wheelchair Challenge Cup winners for the third season in a row after an impressive 48-34 win over Catalans Dragons at the Allam Sports Centre in Hull.

On a historic day for the game, the Dragons were making their first appearance in the Final and - after the national anthems and Abide With Me - a moment's silence was observed in memory of the much-loved broadcaster and Rugby League fan Harry Gration who passed away yesterday.

James Simpson opened the scoring inside a minute, but three tries from Catalans saw them surge into a 16-6 advantage.

Those Dragons tries came through Johnathan Hivernat, Sebastien Bechara and Arno Varnas.

But, in a typically end-to-end clash, a brace for Tom Halliwell and two Nathan Collins penalties saw Leeds go into the half time break 20-16 up.

Just after the restart, Jodie Boyd-Ward extended Leeds' advantage. Then the sides traded blows with the final quarter approaching. Catalans' Jeremy Bourson and the experienced Nicolas Clausells bagged tries, but Simpson's second try helped Leeds retain their composure.

Goalkicker Nathan Collins made light work of a hand injury picked up on England duty last week throughout and scored a try his performance deserved late on. Substitute Josh Butler also got on the scoresheet as Leeds took control in the closing stages and rounded off an impressive win by 14 points and securing their third-successive Cup win.

Reacting to the win, Leeds Rhinos Player-Coach James Simpson said: "We played the best team in the world - Catalans have been up there for a long time, the majority of their team is made up of French internationals - we're absolutely over the moon, it hasn't sunk in yet.

"When the final whistle went - wow! Everyone's faces said it all.

"We gave absolutely everything, it was such an amazing team performance, I couldn't have asked for anything else from the players. We're just over the moon, honestly!"

On the team staying motivated despite so much success, he added: "We motivate each other, we want to be the best we can be for each other, not even for the medals and awards - just because we hold those standards, and then the medals and awards come as a result of that.

"We depend on each other and we know that the person next to us has put 100% in."

Catalans Dragons star and England international Sebastien Bechara told BBC Sport: "I'm proud of reaching the final but we've been expecting to reach the final because we've been the dominant team in France for some time. We've performed against the best teams in England before in 2011 and 2015 in two unofficial European Cups.

"We're proud to be here but obviously I'm immensely disappointed right now. "I'm looking at the positives, half the team we played today is part of the England squad. With my England head, November is the closer event and the World Cup is approaching very quickly and we showed amazing skill today."

Leeds Rhinos: Nathan Collins, Jodie Boyd-Ward, James Simpson, Ewan Clibbens, Tom Halliwell.

Interchanges: Paul Horrobin, Verity Smith, Josh Butler.

Catalans Dragons: Bechara, N. Clausells, Vargas, Dore, Lacombe.

Interchanges: G. Clausells, Bourson, Hivernat.

https://rugby-league.com/article/60364/leeds-rhinos-win-betfred-wheelchair-challenge-cup