Fri 24th-Sun 26th Jun: The Betfred Championship (Non-TV) Match Thread

Discuss this weekend's Betfred Championship games here.

FRIDAY 24th JUNE
Sheffield Eagles v Leigh Centurions KO 19:45

SUNDAY 26th JUNE
Bradford Bulls v Dewsbury Rams KO 15:00
Featherstone Rovers v Batley Bulldogs KO 15:00
Newcastle Thunder v Workington Town KO 15:00
Whitehaven v York City Knights KO 15:00
Widnes Vikings v London Broncos KO 15:00

• John Drake changed the title to Fri 24th-Sun 26th Jun: The Betfred Championship (Non-TV) Match Thread

I'll be surprised if any of these games go against league position.

York seem to be hanging on a bit at the moment but still winning. I expect the same again.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

13 hours ago, John Drake said:

FRIDAY 24th JUNE

SUNDAY 26th JUNE

Only two games where it could be close, Batley could surprise Fev, and Widnes v London could either go blowout win for Widnes or close win for London

London win would pretty much relegate Workington if they lose.

• Like 1

FRIDAY 24th JUNE
Sheffield Eagles v Leigh Centurions Leigh by 36

SUNDAY 26th JUNE
Bradford Bulls v Dewsbury Rams Bradford by 32
Featherstone Rovers v Batley Bulldogs Fev by 18
Newcastle Thunder v Workington Town Newcastle by 10
Whitehaven v York City Knights York by 20
Widnes Vikings v London Broncos Widnes by 16

• Like 1

18 hours ago, John Drake said:

FRIDAY 24th JUNE

SUNDAY 26th JUNE

Sheffield 10-40 Leigh

Bradford 26-16 Dewsbury

Featherstone 42-22 Batley

Newcastle 22-14 Workington

Whitehaven 18-34 York

Widnes 22-24 London Broncos

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

Leigh won’t have it easy at Sheffield especially if they are allowed to slow the game down as they did to LSV, Fev Will batter Batley for taking a point off them earlier

Sheffield are missing key forwards. Leigh will roll them over down the middle like Bradford did. 40 point win for Leigh.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

5 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Sheffield are missing key forwards. Leigh will roll them over down the middle like Bradford did. 40 point win for Leigh.

Sheffield will have much more important games than this against opposition that they have a chance of beating, but this is the way the season is becoming for Leigh and Fev some clubs believe they have no chance and do 'rest' some of their better player's, OK Leigh so very nearly slipped up at Barrow but I believe that was a combination of not taking the opposition seriously enough and coming 5 days after the 1895 celebrations began, I would like to think it won't happen again and Mr Lam ensures the right attitude will be taken in every remaining game.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Sheffield will have much more important games than this against opposition that they have a chance of beating, but this is the way the season is becoming for Leigh and Fev some clubs believe they have no chance and do 'rest' some of their better player's, OK Leigh so very nearly slipped up at Barrow but I believe that was a combination of not taking the opposition seriously enough and coming 5 days after the 1895 celebrations began, I would like to think it won't happen again and Mr Lam ensures the right attitude will be taken in every remaining game.

As you know, Sheffield gave it a proper go at LSV in the Cup with a full strength team. They don't have that team this week. No self  respecting pro team goes in thinking they will definitely lose so i'm sure the effort will be there, but I just don't think they have the firepower right now. At least if the Bradford game is any indication. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tim2 said:

As you know, Sheffield gave it a proper go at LSV in the Cup with a full strength team. They don't have that team this week. No self  respecting pro team goes in thinking they will definitely lose so i'm sure the effort will be there, but I just don't think they have the firepower right now. At least if the Bradford game is any indication. 

Yes in the semi there was very little in it in the first half, but then I think that not only the fulltime v parttime equation kicked in but also the difference in the class of the player's on the respective teams told, Leigh have two targets to aim for and I believe they are now in preperation mode and gaining momentum for those the first being at the end of July v Fev in the Summer bash I believe that the winner of that game will ensure home advantage in the GF, then the GF itself in October, there is such a lot to play for.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

So nothing to do with a really good Barrow performance then.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

So nothing to do with a really good Barrow performance then.

Barrow obviously played well, but 18points to the good and with having played 5 days before and having another game in 3 days time against seemingly better opposition the Leigh player's must have considered job done and put the cue on the rack they were there for the taking, a bit more composure by Barrow and they would have won it, but don't even consider that it was a full on performance from Leigh, which you already know, but you do get confused quite easily so I will make allowances for that.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Barrow obviously played well, but 18points to the good and with having played 5 days before and having another game in 3 days time against seemingly better opposition the Leigh player's must have considered job done and put the cue on the rack they were there for the taking, a bit more composure by Barrow and they would have won it, but don't even consider that it was a full on performance from Leigh, which you already know, but you do get confused quite easily so I will make allowances for that.

Any opportunity eh Harry 😉

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It was a sad emoji due to the arrogance of your post so it seems you are the one getting all confused.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Plus Leigh rested 7 players.