KPP and Will Pryce

Both signed with the Newcastle Knights for 2024, Knights trying to get them for next year so watch this space.  Both outstanding young talents so sad for us in the UK, but no surprise given the pathetic pay in SL.  

This is not speculative BS - just mentioned on the official Newcastle Knights podcast around the 45 minute mark.  https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/tooheys-news-the-podcast/id1503489807?i=1000567452334

• Like 1

Best of luck to them. Will be interesting to see how Pryce develops as a half back in an NRL environment.

Edited by EastLondonMike

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

7 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

Both signed with the Newcastle Knights for 2024, Knights trying to get them for next year so watch this space.  Both outstanding young talents so sad for us in the UK, but no surprise given the pathetic pay in SL.  

This is not speculative BS - just mentioned on the official Newcastle Knights podcast around the 45 minute mark.  https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/tooheys-news-the-podcast/id1503489807?i=1000567452334

While this all may be true, I have just listeded to the part in question and it was in response to a Twitter question from Serious About Rugby League.  And the podcast is from the Newcastle Herald not an official Newcastle Knights podcast.

They will have insight, no doubt, but it is not an official source.

• Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Dunbar said:

While this all may be true, I have just listeded to the part in question and it was in response to a Twitter question from Serious About Rugby League.  And the podcast is from the Newcastle Herald not an official Newcastle Knights podcast.

They will have insight, no doubt, but it is not an official source.

It’s seriously close to an official source mate, this is NOT just any old fan or any old speculation.  Barry Toohey is part of the fabric of the club.  Take this as read.

1 minute ago, Dallas Mead said:

It’s seriously close to an official source mate, this is NOT just any old fan or any old speculation.  Barry Toohey is part of the fabric of the club.  Take this as read.

As I say, I don't doubt that this is true... it is an open secret that both are going.  I am just clarifying that it is not the official Knights podcast.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Not sure about Pry e but KPP is still under contract next year so I expect Wigan will seek a hefty transfer fee,still disappointing to lose 2 young talented players & I think they’d have benefited from 2 or 3 more years in Superleague.

As others have mentioned this is obviously way more preferable to losing players to Union. IMG have a lot of work to do to make SL a more attractive competition so players want to stay and not just see it as a stepping stone.

Kris Rads pretty much confirmed we won't keep KPP past this current contact when speaking at a fans forum early in the season. As fans most people are now just hoping we keep him for 2023 and as that report says, he then goes in 2024. A fee isn't really any use to us when there is such a lack of quality English replacements, especially if we talk about him as an option at centre (and we're well covered in the second row). 

As Davo5 say's above I think both would be better served making a real name for themselves here first and going over as fully fledged first choice players but players can't be blamed for taking the opportunity. In the case of KPP I rate him but I do feel there's been a little bit of overhype going on. I think the fact he's from down south and he's a big, athletic lad, with a good pair of hands, really makes us want to see him succeed. He's done pretty well in the first team so far but his England call up surprised me and it does feel like there's a way to go yet. I do think he'll get there but only if he's playing week in, week out somewhere and not playing reserve grade. 

Edited by WN83
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, WN83 said:

Kris Rads pretty much confirmed we won't keep KPP past this current contact when speaking at a fans forum early in the season. As fans most people are now just hoping we keep him for 2023 and as that report says, he then goes in 2024. A fee isn't really any use to us when there is such a lack of quality English replacements, especially if we talk about him as an option at centre (and we're well covered in the second row). 

As Davo5 say's above I think both would be better served making a real name for themselves here first and going over as fully fledged first choice players but players can't be blamed for taking the opportunity. In the case of KPP I rate him but I do feel there's been a little bit of overhype going on. I think the fact he's from down south and he's a big, athletic lad, with a good pair of hands, really makes us want to see him succeed. He's done pretty well in the first team so far but his England call up surprised me and it does feel like there's a way to go yet. I do think he'll get there but only if he's playing week in, week out somewhere and not playing reserve grade. 

There will be no fee if he goes after he contract finishes in 2023. The Knights may offer a small fee to release him this year but I'm sure they are in no rush. For them, KPP doing another year at Wigan is like signing him and sending him back out on loan for a year.

It was recently reported that the Knights had around $1Million left in the cap for next season, we have made 2 signings since then but if we really want these guys for 2023 there'll be enough left in the cap to offer decent transfer fees.

Both clubs would consider themselves within striking distance of the 2023 SL title though so I guess it'll come down to whether they'd prefer the money or the players in pursuing that goal.

17 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

One for Giants, if Price is going and they won´t get cash for him, absolutely no benefit in building a team around him next year unless you think you are in win now mode. So do they just park him or run him into the ground in 2023?

Salary cap is the same now in NRL as in Rugby Union Prem so days of English lads heading to Premiership probably done. 

And increasing by $500k each year for the next 5 years.

We're not quite at 'floodgates' type chat yet, but the 'trickle' is becoming a 'stream' of players leaving. It's almost inevitable now that any decent player under 21 gets linked with the NRL and it's of little risk to both player and NRL club to be honest. Development/feeder league for the NRL incoming. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Will be interesting to see the players we know are confirmed coming to Super League from the NRL next year and balance that against the other direction.

From an age perspective, no doubt some of our young talent is moving there but the overall net movement of talent / quality still feels like we are importing more than we export.

9 hours ago, Dallas Mead said:

It’s happening Ant.

Forgive me, if I've heard it all before with many other players. 

It may well be, but until its reality, its all just hack journos hot air.