Horse racing - general

11 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Thought a new thread might be in order for those of us interested in racing 🐴.

I’m going to my first ever live meet at Haydock next month and can’t wait.

I know there’s another thread going but I don’t think it was ever intended to attract positive comments!

Hope you have a good day . I’ve only been to the gates of Haydock Park once …. But I was going to Old Trafford cricket ground . Just don’t ask 

On 24/06/2022 at 13:11, Gerrumonside ref said:

Thought a new thread might be in order for those of us interested in racing 🐴.

I’m going to my first ever live meet at Haydock next month and can’t wait.

I know there’s another thread going but I don’t think it was ever intended to attract positive comments!

I hope you have a great time.

I enjoy watching the racing, though mostly on tv these days. 

• Like 2

Until about 2017 I had yearly badges at Catterick for quite a few years . Lovely little course . Went there very often making it good value for money. Never on Saturday though , I usually avoided weekend racing 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DavidM said:

I hope all those horses declared for the Eclipse stand their ground , that will be an outstanding renewal 

If the heavy rains predicted for the area happen on Wednesday and Thursday and ease the ground my money will be on Native Trail as i think the extra distance will suit him as well

On 24/06/2022 at 13:11, Gerrumonside ref said:

it was intended to attract lots of positive comments - ones about animal welfare 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

it was intended to attract lots of positive comments - ones about animal welfare 

Look at the animal welfare racehorses get Johnny . Ive been to plenty of stables , its off the scale . You can pick out individual outrages but the overwhelming generality is the treatment is regal in animal terms

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Look at the animal welfare racehorses get Johnny . Ive been to plenty of stables , its off the scale . You can pick out individual outrages but the overwhelming generality is the treatment is regal in animal terms

we always get on well davidm on these forums - lets leave it at that 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Well if you don’t like horse racing then why not just comment on that horse racing animal welfare thread as I have suggested?

Then if people want to engage with you they can do.

For those of us who want to talk about the racing then leave this thread dedicated to it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Well if you don’t like horse racing then why not just comment on that horse racing animal welfare thread as I have suggested?

Then if people want to engage with you they can do.

For those of us who want to talk about the racing then leave this thread dedicated to it.

100% right - thats what i will do - i was just correcting your claim that the thread wasnt meant to attract positive comments

9 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

100% right - thats what i will do - i was just correcting your claim that the thread wasnt meant to attract positive comments

I think there’s a misunderstanding then or I’ve miscommunicated my intention.

I understand you will want and no doubt will get some support for your stance on animal welfare when it concerns horse racing.

But also not all will share your view and will want to discuss the racing.

Maybe some people will be in the middle too who will accept horse racing, but demand constant vigilance and scrutiny on welfare issues.

• Like 2

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

I understand you will want and no doubt will get some support for your stance on animal welfare when it concerns horse racing.

Maybe some people will be in the middle too who will accept horse racing, but demand constant vigilance and scrutiny on welfare issues.

Not that people who like racing don’t care.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I agree with you.

This thread should be for racing itself and the other can be for discussions about welfare etc. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dismal field sizes is the big topic in racing . 41 races in Britain tomorrow and more than half have less than 6 runners , and one race on Saturday has attracted no runners ( linking in to another topic in poor prize money ) 

Edited by DavidM

12 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Dismal field sizes is the big topic in racing . 41 races in Britain tomorrow and more than half have less than 6 runners , and one race on Saturday has attracted no runners ( linking in to another topic in poor prize money ) 

I’m off to Haydock tomorrow but haven’t properly looked at race card yet.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

To many meetings for starters.

Yesterday there was 5, today there's 5 and tomorrow there is 6. There should be a maximum of 4 meeting a day from Monday to Friday and limited to 6 races per card. That will see bigger fields and bigger prize money with reduced races.

There was 7 races at Hamilton today, and 7 at Worcester and 8 at Leicester and 4 races at Leicester with just 5 runners in.