Harry Gration

I met him, he ran a press conference in Wales before an International match. I remember him asking the assembled press to give us a fair hearing. He was great for the game, very professional, very friendly, so well spoken, so knowledgeable. It was a very long time ago, but he made a huge, lasting impression on me. Someone I would like to have spent more time with. God speed Harry. 

• Like 5

Growing up it always seemed that the news content on Look North was a bit grimmer if Harry wasn’t presenting that evening.  He just had that natural style that gave a comfort about any issue.  Thanks Harry.

P.S. Just for balance the weather was always a couple of degrees warmer if Bob Rust presented the weather report on Yorkshire TV.

A brilliant journalist and true lover of RL.

The man, the voice, the professionalism, the ability, the loyalty and the integrity of Harry Gration will be remembered forever.

Edited by Pete Grady
  • Like 4

'The Invisble Man is at the door'.     'Tell him I can't see him'.      The late, great Tommy Cooper

19 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Enjoy your Rugby League, he did.

rip harry

Can't think of a more fitting epitaph.

• Like 3

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

18 hours ago, OMEGA said:

So sad to hear this news

Harry Gration has been a mainstay on local TV throughout most of my life. I met him once in 1990 when he was covering the Wakefield v Australia match at Belle Vue, he was an approachable, likeable bloke< the only person I ever knew to fall out with him was Bobby Fulton, ironically on the same night

RIP Harry and sincere condolences to his family and friends

16 hours ago, Wigan Riversider said:

That interview with Fulton was legendary.

Sad loss.

RIP Harry.

I think the run in with Bobby Fulton is my standout memory of Harry's career. I thought he handled it extremely well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

2 hours ago, Ullman said:

I think the run in with Bobby Fulton is my standout memory of Harry's career. I thought he handled it extremely well.

I mentioned it on the Obituary thread on AOB without seeing this thread first.

Harry Gration was a top. top journalist and his passion for RL was very evident. Hull FC played Widnes at the Boulevard in the RL Cup in 1985 and the third round game ended up 6-6. Harry showed the highlights from the game and said afterwards, "The replay will be at Naughton Park in Widnes on Wednesday night and I'll be there!...If they let me go that is!"

I met him, similarly to another poster earlier, at a business awards ceremony at the Willerby Manor Hotel near Hull some years back. A few people were invited on stage and I managed to grab a quick word with him.

"Bobby Fulton not making an appearance tonight Harry?"

He gave me a cross between a smile and a grimace in reply.

RIP Harry.

• Like 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

9 hours ago, Live after death said:

Hope the RFL pay tribute to a great friend of the game, a minutes applause at every game.

He also loved his cricket and served as a Board member for Yorkshire CCC for a number of years. I was at the Test match at Headingley today and a minutes applause was observed, a vey moving and sad occasion.

RIP Harry

I can't add much to all of the above, top man, massively good for RL. R.I.P.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

well that must be the most emotional look north i have ever seen in my life- genuine outpouring of love, respect and emotion from so many people 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

12 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

well that must be the most emotional look north i have ever seen in my life- genuine outpouring of love, respect and emotion from so many people 

About 3 minutes 30 seconds from the start of https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0018tlm/look-north-yorkshire-lunchtime-news-27062022 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Explain please

From my post on Sunday: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/974697.stm - scroll down past the Alan Shearer story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson