Wigan’s cartoon mural - when is it too far?

According to the website they wanted to show incidents the club “wouldn’t be proud of”. I just find that bizarre. Wigan have a long history and there’s more than enough in their history that’s happened on and off the pitch that could be part of any mural, I just find it staggering really. 

10 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Slightly poor taste but thankfully we still live in a free society where we are able to offend lawfully. Just.

You are living in a golden age of being able to offend people.  If that is your desired outcome you should be absolutely loving living in 2022.

A few decades ago, you would have to work your way up through the comedy scene at working men's clubs before you could find a decent platform to offend... today you can find a mass audience from the comfort of your sofa via your laptop/phone and Facebook, Twitter and other platforms.

If you want to offend people, the world is your oyster.  Just go for it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Given that Lance Hohaia suffered a brain injury as a result of that attack, I don't think it's in good taste or worthy of commemoration.

Of course, Wigan are welcome to mark 150 years as they wish but that doesn't mean we all have to agree with how it is done.

• Like 2

The guy who made it says: "We were all aware that it couldn’t just be about the greatest moments. There had to be balance & include incidents that the Club are probably not proud of…" 

So I think including it is fair enough. It remains one of the most (in)famous moments in the club's history. I just wish he hadn't included the 'Klonk!' sound effect, which makes it look like a joke, and it was very serious. Otherwise, I'm ok with it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

The guy who made it says: "We were all aware that it couldn’t just be about the greatest moments. There had to be balance & include incidents that the Club are probably not proud of…" 

So I think including it is fair enough. It remains one of the most (in)famous moments in the club's history. I just wish he hadn't included the 'Klonk!' sound effect, which makes it look like a joke, and it was very serious. Otherwise, I'm ok with it.

Is there many more incidents depicted on there that “they’re not proud of?”. I can’t see any myself, though I’m not a Wigan fan so I might be missing things. 

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Bit rich coming from you. 

I mean, I expect this was meant to be insulting, but being called PC or Woke from certain people tells me my moral compass is working fine. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

A typically self-righteous post from you, David. I’d expect nothing less 😉

Well, that means we're all happy, business as usual we can both crack on with enjoying our weekends! 

• Like 2

Bit distasteful considering the state of Hohaia's health after the incident, i presume it's there to wind Saints up but not sure Lance's family and friends will be happy that Wigan are using his career ending inury for their 'entertainment' and 'history'.

Fair play if it was laughed off by the victim at the time but it was basically an assualt which they are celebrating, as i said it doesn't offend me i just find it a bit of '''ooh, that's not great''.

They could have easily left it out and still had a great celebration of their history i feel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I mean, I expect this was meant to be insulting, but being called PC or Woke from certain people tells me my moral compass is working fine. 

Yes. Your moral compass is working, pointing woke alright..

As you insist on virtue signalling to us from time to time...again and again and again and again and again and again....ad nausium. 😀😀😀😀😀😀

Edited by JohnM
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

That’s the way I took it. It’s a bit of art, representing things that have happened. It’s not really celebratory, but I think some non-Wigan fans have taken it that way.

It happened, so it’s represented. No one is condoning violence on here, and I don’t think any young Wigan fans are about to go on a bloodthirsty Tarantino style rampage because of a cartoon.

• Like 1

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

As you insist on virtue signalling to us from time to time...again and again and again and again and again and again....ad nausium. 😀😀😀😀😀😀

Ah, another one. 

What a surprise you don't discuss the topic at hand John, yet again. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

That’s the way I took it. It’s a bit of art, representing things that have happened. It’s not really celebratory, but I think some non-Wigan fans have taken it that way.

It happened, so it’s represented. No one is condoning violence on here, and I don’t think any young Wigan fans are about to go on a bloodthirsty Tarantino style rampage because of a cartoon.

It appears, certainly to me, to be one of the only incidents “that the club isn’t proud of” that’s been depicted. As I say, I’m not a Wigan fan and may miss things but is relegation depicted, is the biggest shock in a Cup Final depicted and is losing on the hooter in the 2020 Grand Final depicted, for example? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

It appears, certainly to me, to be one of the only incidents “that the club isn’t proud of” that’s been depicted. As I say, I’m not a Wigan fan and may miss things but is relegation depicted, is the biggest shock in a Cup Final depicted and is losing on the hooter in the 2020 Grand Final depicted, for example? 

But it’s a Wigan mural by a Wigan artist, for Wigan fans. It’s not a taxpayer-funded artwork where we can all feel aggrieved about our dollars being wasted.

I can’t believe I’m defending anything Wigan-related. What has the world come to? 😂

• Like 1

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

Just now, Desert Skipper said:

But it’s a Wigan mural by a Wigan artist, for Wigan fans. It’s not a taxpayer-funded artwork where we can all feel aggrieved about our dollars being wasted.

I can’t believe I’m defending anything Wigan-related. What has the world come to? 😂

Wigan are fine to celebrate their anniversary how they wish, I find it odd that they’ve chosen to add in “bits they’re not proud of” but that’s art, isn’t it?. I appreciate all clubs will have things they’re not proud of but on an anniversary piece like that, I’m a little surprised that they included these things. There’s obviously stories of things like relegation that’s part of Wigan’s history, which is a low point, but I wouldn’t class that and this in the same category. 

The artist is also from Yorkshire. 

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Disgraceful- and they wonder why people don’t like that club 

Yes because that is why people don't like Wigan. Wigan have done loads of classy things over the last few years that have been roundly applauded by fans of other clubs.

On this I don't like it, its wrong. I think there are a lot of poor things on there that have me thinking that's a bit strange considering what could be on there. I suspect the artist has just got it and the mood badly wrong. I don't think any thuggery really deserves a place in a celebration of the club.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Out of interest, if there was a poll of Wigan fans at the next big game asking whether they accept the inclusion of said incident, and the majority of fans wanted it included, would the minority accept the result of the poll? 

Rugby League is a tough, robust contact sport. The Dark arts sometimes occurs.

Its all context how you recall the good and bad aspects of the Game.

But there is a massive difference between celebrating that physicality and officially memorializing an episode of violent cheating.

It is also abit soccer like

You know doing the "bantz" to have a MCFC mural with the Kippax singing the "Munich" song. It happened but again would you really want to recall it.

Of course its all context. But I don't see images of the Pies cheating the salary cap nor going burst and selling up to Tesco though.

Classless and well arrogant. 

Then to be honest it feels more small town dumb, but where's Lenny on this?

vrkX_baO_400x400 (1).png

Edited by idrewthehaggis

Just now, Desert Skipper said:

Out of interest, if there was a poll of Wigan fans at the next big game asking whether they accept the inclusion of said incident, and the majority of fans wanted it included, would the minority accept the result of the poll? 

Not really a true indication as i would imagine a lot of Wigan fans would like it there just to annoy Saints.

Because Wigan fans may find it acceptable it doesn't mean we all have to.

If they want to remember it, show Flower with his hands on his head after getting a red.

showing someone whose career was ended prone on the floor with a fun, cartoon KAPOW next to it is ridiculous in anyone’s book and I can’t imagine any other club doing it.

but then the director of rugby there is happy to be on tv proudly goading his players to recklessly endanger opponents so it’s all very Wigan I suppose. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

Depends what you mean by "accept". 

Just because a majority is in favour of something doesn't mean you have to agree with it. People will still think it's wrong and be disappointed with the club for creating it. 

But if it means "accepting" the fact that the club probably wouldn't act to change it if a majority thought it was ok, then yes, I suspect most would "accept" that reality.