Wire-Huddersfield loan swap

Toby King goes to Huddersfield, Jake Wardle comes back the other way. To the end of the season.

I can't think of a precedent for this and I don't know what to make of it tbh.

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/20235614.jake-wardle-joins-warrington-toby-king-joins-huddersfield/

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

King was linked with Saints last year, I don’t know how serious it was, but he chose to re-sign for Warrington as he was one of the standout players in his position. A year on and he’s out at Warrington. It’s some change that’s occurring at Warrington. 

Was there any need for the huge overhaul that has took place?

• Like 1

At least until the end of the season, but Powell’s quote suggests it’s about to be permanent as he talks about Wardle fitting into what he’s trying to build with the backs.

People on here have been saying for years that there needs to be a clear out at Warrington. What a clear out this is. King signed a big money deal last season for four years.

Edited by Desert Skipper

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

1 minute ago, The storm said:

Is nt toby king from huddersfield

I could be wrong

Yes, he’s from Meltham nearby.

Not sure why Wardle has fallen out with Watson, but I’m quite happy with this deal. Just hope it’s permanent.

Edited by Desert Skipper

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

5 minutes ago, The storm said:

Is nt toby king from huddersfield

I could be wrong

I'm not sure the relevance to them agreeing this deal. They are swapping a better player for an inferior one. Where King is from is irrelevant. 

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

I don't understand this at all, theres not much between the 2 players quality wise so it's basically a sideways for both clubs, no gains, no losses. Very odd.

I’d put Wardle ahead on pace and attacking ability. King is brilliant under the high ball with a great offload, but seems to have gone right off the ball since signing a big money contract. Wane rates Wardle highly which is good enough for me. King allegedly threw his toys out of the pram after the recent Wakefield loss, leaving the team coach at a stop on the motorway services. This sort of ties in with recent comments from Powell about the way some players take criticism well, others don’t.

You’d think Wardle would be hoping for a strong finish to the season including the playoffs  to push his WC chances,at Wire he’ll finish the season on competition of the regular rounds with a team that are awful.

9 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

I’d put Wardle ahead on pace and attacking ability. King is brilliant under the high ball with a great offload, but seems to have gone right off the ball since signing a big money contract. Wane rates Wardle highly which is good enough for me. King allegedly threw his toys out of the pram after the recent Wakefield loss, leaving the team coach at a stop on the motorway services. This sort of ties in with recent comments from Powell about the way some players take criticism well, others don’t.

Ah OK, then King going kind of makes sense.

Still no idea what Giants gain from it.

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

King was linked with Saints last year, I don’t know how serious it was, but he chose to re-sign for Warrington as he was one of the standout players in his position. A year on and he’s out at Warrington. It’s some change that’s occurring at Warrington. 

Was there any need for the huge overhaul that has took place?

I've said it before, many times this year. 

I'm not sure why Powell felt the need to absolutely tank a squad who finished have finished 4th, 4th, 3rd and 3rd in the ladder in theast 4 years with a Challenge Cup win and a Grand Final loss. 

I'm not sure I've ever seen a coach do this in Super League - it's a brave decision and tbh he needs to win big next year. 

Writing off a year hasn't been acceptable to me, I think it's been a poorly thought out and executed plan. 

8 minutes ago, dkw said:

Ah OK, then King going kind of makes sense.

Still no idea what Giants gain from it.

Yeah. I’ll be interested to find out why Wardle is out of favour with Watson.

One thing Ian Watson has said all along is that any player who doesn't want to be part of the journey and his ways at Huddersfield will leave, Jake has said he isn't happy at the club and wanted to move on, Watto has acted on that, we spent years trying to keep unhappy but good players by throwing money at them which didn't work.

I have no isue with it, Jake is a fantastic player but has been injury prone for the last few years and wants to leave, we get a player who has been a top quality super league player for a number of years and a hometown boy who wants to play for us, it's a no brainer really.

Wardle is probably the better player but he's no good to us if he's injured or unhappy.

Best of luck to both lads.

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I've said it before, many times this year. 

I'm not sure why Powell felt the need to absolutely tank a squad who finished have finished 4th, 4th, 3rd and 3rd in the ladder in theast 4 years with a Challenge Cup win and a Grand Final loss. 

I'm not sure I've ever seen a coach do this in Super League - it's a brave decision and tbh he needs to win big next year. 

Writing off a year hasn't been acceptable to me, I think it's been a poorly thought out and executed plan. 

And add in the fact that Powell was included in the recruitment that took place during last season ahead of this one 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, daz39 said:

By getting rid and not replacing him we are weakening our squad, why would we do that?

So not quite what you said then about letting players who want to leave leave then and if they are not committed to the club they are out.

3 minutes ago, LeeF said:

And add in the fact that Powell was included in the recruitment that took place during last season ahead of this one 

This is true, but he wasn’t working with the current squad so wouldn’t be aware of the sort of character traits they have. He wasn’t joining a club with a track record of success and just continuing the good work, he was brought in to change things. I have no doubt he had this honest conversation with the board when he was interviewed.

Powell wants to build a squad from the bottom up with his sort of players and characters. Will it work? Who knows? But I know that almost every Warrington fan and probably the board who have invested heavily, want more than a team who finishes 3rd-6th and limps out of the playoffs at the first hurdle. That’s sport. I’m backing Powell simply because no one else has been able to fix the trophy success issue by tweaking things a little. Raze it down and build it back differently for me, but that’s just my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

So not quite what you said then about letting players who want to leave leave then and if they are not committed to the club they are out.

Not sure what you're getting at tbh?

Wardle is being moved on because he wants to move on, we are replacing him with Toby King till the end of the season, both players are contracted to their clubs so it isn't just a case of 'getting rid', i would imagine discussions about potential permanent deals will be discussed going forward if things work out.

We're hardly going to move a talent like Wardle on mid season and not replace him in the squad.