International Rugby League - a league of its own

Firstly, this isn’t a dig at the “NRL a league of its own” thread. I love the NRL and it really is the king of the domestic game (and I think I’ve managed to talk my girlfriend into two weeks in Sydney next year). 

That said, I’ve been up since 6am this morning watching the international games from the Southern Hemisphere and international rugby league really is the top dog. The bringing together of cultures, the haka, the war dances, the impending Fijian hymn, the pride in the players representing their heritage, the fans have created a good atmosphere and that’s before I even mention the games themselves that have been entertaining. 

This is how you grow the game, it’s not a half baked representative round over here, it’s not sticking pins in maps and hoping something magically happens and the club become a massive success, it’s proper tests and proper tournaments. 

Edited by Jughead
  • Like 8

21 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Firstly, this isn’t a dig at the “NRL a league of its own” thread. I love the NRL and it really is the king of the domestic game (and I think I’ve managed to talk my girlfriend into two weeks in Sydney next year). 

That said, I’ve been up since 6am this morning watching the international games from the Southern Hemisphere and international rugby league really is the top dog. The bringing together of cultures, the haka, the war dances, the impending Fijian hymn, the pride in the players representing their heritage, the fans have created a good atmosphere and that’s before I even mention the games themselves that have been entertaining. 

This is how you grow the game, it’s not a half baked representative round over here, it’s not sticking pins in maps and hoping something magically happens and the club be owned a massive success, it’s proper tests and proper tournaments. 

And it’s a real shame these  midseason Internationals will be scrapped by the NRL next year.

• Like 7

International Rugby League like we have seen trumps everything. It evokes a passion and atmosphere that nothing else does and quality and intense games. It's the highest level of RL and deserves more reverence than it gets.

Standalone mid season internationals on SOO weekends, in the form of a Pacific Cup, would transform the game in the Southern hemisphere and give much needed funds to all of the nations outside Australia. Internationals at the end of the season could see countries playing at least 6 games a year.

The previous NRL administration seemed to be wanting to work towards this and build the international game. Its very disappointing that the current administration have instead taken a different approach and want to destroy mid season international RL to elevate SOO and limit the international game to at most 3 or 4 internationals a year.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

And it’s a real shame these  midseason Internationals will be scrapped by the NRL next year.

I just don’t understand why. This looks well attended but also the intensity and quality on show makes it good viewing, too. 

The NRL is fantastic, but a weekend like this showcases players, incredible passion, more potential for growth.

Voss loves internationals, and that's part of the reason why I like him so much.

It would be a crime if the NRL succeeds in binning this internationalist colour and fervour.

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 5

I've loved every minute of today's games, especially PNG vs Fiji. 

They should keep this international weekend and add on another at the end Origin. NZ vs Australia could be one of the games with the PI nations playing each other again.

This could be followed up at the end of the year with a 4N for the teams ranked 1 - 4 and a 4N for the teams ranked 5 - 8

• Like 2

There is a fundamental problem with a sport when independent nations are dependent on a third nation for playing, hosting and promoting (including live TV coverage) an international contest between them.

I struggle to think of any other sport where that is the case.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

There is a fundamental problem with a sport when independent nations are dependent on a third nation for playing, hosting and promoting (including live TV coverage) an international contest between them.

I struggle to think of any other sport where that is the case.

What concerns me about this, is a vivid memory of Vlandys saying something like, ''We'll show them who really runs rugby league'' when referring to the IRL organisation, during the debacle around their callous withdrawal from 2021 WC.

I don't think they support the IRL and in fact, deeply resent it. I also believe they are persistently working to undermine it.

There was no mention (by Abdo) of the IRL in this last piece.

If they succeed in eviscerating the IRL, then who will nurture the fledgling European Nations or the Middle East and African nations, not to mention the America's, or provide worthwhile competition for England?

We need to give some encouragement to John Kear and rally round to get the NH playing international rugby league.

I'd say we need to ensure the survival of the IRL, by promoting growth in the Northern Hemisphere, or we will be frozen out by an Australian monster that only cares about maintaining SOO as the premier RL tournament in the world and NRL as the premier league.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JM2010 said:

NZ vs Australia could be one of the games with the PI nations playing each other again.

I think there is a very real danger that should the Kiwis continue their rise, win the WC and consistently knock off Oz, a three match Test series between Australia and New Zealand could easily become a permanent fixture on the Rugby League calendar that would have to be fitted in somewhere every year.

In fact I could see it ultimately eclipsing SOO as the pinnacle event for Rugby League in this country. Players fighting it out in Origin for the right to face the Kiwis might bring back a bit of the fire that some say has gone out of Origin.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, dkw said:

Is this true, or just what's expected to happen?

I mean, you're assuming that any aspect of rugby league beyond the end of 2022 has dates, plans, etc?

(It's what has been said as being assumed to be happening - in the way that things usually are put about in RL.)

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

We’ve learnt in the last week that the IRL was “run like a tick shop” when Troy Grant went in as chairmen. Can you actually blame the NRL for wanting to take governance of the international game when that is what they’re supposed to be working with? 

On 25/06/2022 at 20:25, Jughead said:

This is how you grow the game, it’s not a half baked representative round over here, it’s not sticking pins in maps and hoping something magically happens and the club become a massive success, it’s proper tests and proper tournaments. 

I agree 100% unfortunately the NRL and the broadcasters ie. Murdoch and Channel 9 run the game and they put their interests above the growth of the game. We can see this in every decision made by the NRL.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Damien said:

International Rugby League like we have seen trumps everything. It evokes a passion and atmosphere that nothing else does and quality and intense games. It's the highest level of RL and deserves more reverence than it gets.

Standalone mid season internationals on SOO weekends, in the form of a Pacific Cup, would transform the game in the Southern hemisphere and give much needed funds to all of the nations outside Australia. Internationals at the end of the season could see countries playing at least 6 games a year.

The previous NRL administration seemed to be wanting to work towards this and build the international game. Its very disappointing that the current administration have instead taken a different approach and want to destroy mid season international RL to elevate SOO and limit the international game to at most 3 or 4 internationals a year.

And this is the truth. If these games grow and the island nations become tier one with players getting the same pay as they do for origin it would compete against origin something the broadcaster (Channel 9) don't want.

Sadly V'landys is just a puppet for these organisation who spew out propaganda about him being the world's greatest sports administrator. He was in England the other week for a horse race and not a negative word said by the media. As far as Abdo is concerned he is a faceless man.

23 hours ago, Jughead said:

I just don’t understand why. This looks well attended but also the intensity and quality on show makes it good viewing, too. 

Look who runs the game and what they are protecting ie. NRL clubs and the broadcasters they are a partnership.

5 minutes ago, rlno1 said:

I agree 100% unfortunately the NRL and the broadcasters ie. Murdoch and Channel 9 run the game and they put their interests above the growth of the game. We can see this in every decision made by the NRL.

I don’t disagree but like the game in the UK, self interest is always going to be the case. 

3 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I don’t disagree but like the game in the UK, self interest is always going to be the case. 

Correct and if you read Shane Richardson's plan in which he outlines the future for the English game and the international game you can see where we are headed. Ironically this News Corp lackie criticises the English clubs from having too much say as it leads to self interest, which it does, yet is quite happy for the Australian game to be run by clubs and TV networks.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/dissecting-shane-richardsons-plan-for-british-rugby-league/