Tour de France 2022 1st July to 24th July

• JohnM changed the title to Tour de France 2022 1st July to 24th July

Can't see past Filippo Ganna for the opening TT. He's been almost unbeatable over this type of course and distance for the last couple of years.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 27/06/2022 at 15:39, JohnM said:

Official website of Tour de France 2022 (letour.fr)

..and it looks like Alaphilippe is going to miss it. Julian Alaphilippe expected to miss the Tour de France | Cycling Weekly  Cav looks set to miss out, too. 

The writing was on the wall for Cav as soon as he was selected in the team for the Giro. Jakobsen was always going to get the nod for the Tour.

The race will be that bit poorer for the absence of Julian Alaphilippe. I like him a lot.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

20 hours ago, Ullman said:

The writing was on the wall for Cav as soon as he was selected in the team for the Giro. Jakobsen was always going to get the nod for the Tour.

The race will be that bit poorer for the absence of Julian Alaphilippe. I like him a lot.

Mark Cavendish won the Great Britain Championship last weekend.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

1 minute ago, Wolford6 said:

Mark Cavendish won the Great Britain Championship last weekend.

I know he did and it was another chapter in his remarkable comeback but it was never going to be enough to change Lefevere's mind about his team selection for the Tour.

So Yves Lampaert gets first go at the yellow jersey after his outstanding victory in the opening stage. I don't know who saw that coming.

Today's stage sees the riders cross the Great Belt Bridge. It's bad enough cycling over the Humber Bridge when it's windy and that's only just over 2km, goodness knows what this one could be like.

My pick for today's stage was Caleb Ewan ... he got muscled out and finished outside the top ten.

Luke Rowe also messed up ... he was only 153rd.

Tomorrows tip: Ewan again.

Jakobsen wins his first TdF sprint at his first attempt and buries any arguments about selection. The sheer explosive speed at the line was reminiscent of Cavendish at his peak.

But as Chris Boardman said, we'll still never forgive them.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

My pick for today's stage was Caleb Ewan ... he got muscled out and finished outside the top ten.

Luke Rowe also messed up ... he was only 153rd.

Tomorrows tip: Ewan again.

Sounds like Ewan was pretty unlucky yesterday. He reckoned his derailleur got clipped and the chain skipped just as he went to put the power down.

He was "unlucky" today.

Ewen was cramped towards the barriers as he wound up for his sprint by riders veering off their straight line. Such things can be accidental but sometimes they aren't.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ewan-blames-sagan-and-van-aert-for-crash-near-miss-at-tour-de-france/

The roads were very narrow all day. Luke Rowe did a fantastic job in shepherding Geraint Thomas at the front of the peleton. Unfortunately, he couldn't manage to drop back in time and finished disappointingly high at 82nd ... 39 seconds down. Chris Froome was also on the same time and looks a dubious bet for the podium. His team-mate Simon Clarke ... a  stage-winner and King of the Mountains in the Vuelta ... managed to lose over 5 minutes, so Team Israel Premier Tech might be making a serious push for the Lanterne Rouge. Bloody cheek if you ask me.

• Like 2

Something's gone wrong ... on Superbru, I successfully tipped Van Aert today.

Luke Rowe managed to be driving the Ineos train at the front with about 12km to go and ended up 166th and five minutes down. Top work, boyo.

Tomorrow's flat but loads of cobbles. I've gone for Sagan.

Dark horse: Dani Martinez

Van Aert and his team got it tactically spot on yesterday. Made sure it wasn't going to go down to a bunch sprint and finished so far in front that poor old Jasper Philipsen thought he'd won it.

I noticed Luke Rowe managed to get himself a name check at the front again. He did it the day before too. His teammates Adam Yates and Tom Pidcock are going pretty well too.

Sagan's not a bad shout on the cobbles but van Aert's record in Paris-Roubaix would suggest he's going to be prominent again.

1 hour ago, Ullman said:

Van Aert and his team got it tactically spot on yesterday. Made sure it wasn't going to go down to a bunch sprint and finished so far in front that poor old Jasper Philipsen thought he'd won it.

I noticed Luke Rowe managed to get himself a name check at the front again. He did it the day before too. His teammates Adam Yates and Tom Pidcock are going pretty well too.

Sagan's not a bad shout on the cobbles but van Aert's record in Paris-Roubaix would suggest he's going to be prominent again.

I think van Aert has said that he will be protecting Roglic and Vingegaard today. Though it will probably take a lot for him to be wearing yellow and watching van der Poel ride up the road, possibly into yellow, and not react! I wonder if Lampaerts maybe has designs on yellow and trying to stick with any front group if van Aert insists on sitting with the GC guys.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glossop saint said:

I think van Aert has said that he will be protecting Roglic and Vingegaard today. Though it will probably take a lot for him to be wearing yellow and watching van der Poel ride up the road, possibly into yellow, and not react! I wonder if Lampaerts maybe has designs on yellow and trying to stick with any front group if van Aert insists on sitting with the GC guys.

Had a look at the odds earlier and van der Poel was the strong favourite for today's stage. Should certainly suit him.

Really good day for British riders and Team Ineos.

Primoz Roglic blew up and will now be on the backfoot till the mountains will find out if this lapse is temporary. His big rival Tadej Pogacar looked like a man biding his time before taking the Yellow Jersey.

3 x Britons in the top 10 overall. A Welshman, a Yorkshireman and a Lancastrian. Dani Martinez is 17th.

Not so good for Luke Rowe; he's shot up the rankings to 146th and that Lanterne Rouge is looking a bit distant. Luke must be cheesed off at being in front  of his team-mate Jonathan Castroviejo ... a former European Time Trial Champion and 27 minutes in front of Lanterne Rouge pacesetter Anthony Turgis.

On Superbru, you tip four riders for each stage. Three of mine scored points today, though none scored highly. I'd settle for one tip scoring good points tomorrow. Stage 6 is described as hilly with an uphill finish but no serious climbs. Sounds just the job for Tom Pidcock.

No surprise that Roglic lost a significant chunk of time. Can't be a quick job putting your own shoulder back in at the roadside.

Really enjoyable stage because it turned out so unexpectedly. Great effort by van Aert to hold on to the yellow jersey. Pogacar looking ominous but then again he always does.

As Wolford says above, a good day for the Brits though. Thomas (despite the inevitable spill), Yates and Pidcock all well placed and in good nick.

• Like 1