Tour de France 2022 1st July to 24th July

22 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Is Van Aert is the greatest cyclist since Eddie Merckx?

I have my doubts.

Agree , only good in fits and starts , good team around him....tick , occasional good climber , too many better than him in time trials.

On 21/07/2022 at 12:39, Bacardi Dave said:

ITV 4 Coverage started at 1230, 1233 they go to a 5 minute advert break. Expect the same later.

They explained on air that they adjust the ad break timings so that they get continuity of coverage at critical moments or to allow screening of longer stretches of action at key periods. 

For various reasons, I've not been able to concentrate fully on watching this year's Tour. However,  from what I've seen and heard on ITV4, I've not found it as riveting as in previous years, partially because of David Millar's incessant commentary and his ritual chanting of the words Jumbo Visma at every oportunity. Standing joke in our house.Knowledgeable and experienced former top level pro that he was, he needs to remember that " Silence is golden," sunshine, from time to time. 😠😠😠

Edited by JohnM

No surprise to see Marianne Vos in yellow in the Tour de France Femmes but I hope Cecile Uttrup Ludwig wins another stage. Her interviews are better than Jake Mamo's. 

• Haha 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 24/07/2022 at 07:48, JohnM said:

For various reasons, I've not been able to concentrate fully on watching this year's Tour. However,  from what I've seen and heard on ITV4, I've not found it as riveting as in previous years, partially because of David Millar's incessant commentary and his ritual chanting of the words Jumbo Visma at every oportunity. Standing joke in our house.Knowledgeable and experienced former top level pro that he was, he needs to remember that " Silence is golden," sunshine, from time to time. 😠😠😠

Eurosport seem to have different commentators. I found them more useful.

If you want to not understand them entirely, Seiclo (pronounced as 'cycling' but with an o on the end) on S4C covers a lot of the stages.

With those two channels I went from my usual level of engagement (zero) to actually following who was doing what and when, and occasionally being almost interested in it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/07/2022 at 10:39, gingerjon said:

Eurosport seem to have different commentators. I found them more useful.

If you want to not understand them entirely, Seiclo (pronounced as 'cycling' but with an o on the end) on S4C covers a lot of the stages.

With those two channels I went from my usual level of engagement (zero) to actually following who was doing what and when, and occasionally being almost interested in it.

I like the Eurosport commentators and their pundits too. Not that I have anything against the ITV4 team, far from it. However, the latter no longer have the rights to the third and final Grand Tour of the season, the Vuelta a Espana, which gets underway tomorrow with a team time trial in the Dutch city of Utrecht. Free to air coverage is available via a highlights package on Quest HD. From what I've read it will be the Eurosport highlights programme.

Edited by Ullman

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

5 minutes ago, Ullman said:

I like the Eurosport commentators and their pundits too. Not that I have anything against the ITV4 team, far from it. However, the latter no longer have the rights to the third and final Grand Tour of the season, the Vuelta a Espana, which gets underway tomorrow with a time trial in the Dutch city of Utrecht. Free to air coverage is available via a highlights package on Quest HD. From what I've read it will be the Eurosport highlights programme.

A friend who is into his cycling recommends a GCN+ subscription should that be of interest.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

A friend who is into his cycling recommends a GCN+ subscription should that be of interest.

That's probably the route I'd go down if I ever ditched Sky Sports. in fact, if there were a rugby league equivalent of GCN+ I'd definitely cancel my Sky subscription.

GCN's YouTube channels are pretty good too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1