Crying over spilt milk

I live in west Wales (not near the West Wales team) and have been following League for some time amongst other sports.  I spoke with my 23 year old son recently about league, he is a very proud Welshman.  His first love is the Welsh football team, second love Liverpool (inherited from myself) and third he enjoys watching the Welsh union team.  When I was talking to him about Rugby League he admitted that he thought that he would probably enjoy it more than Union.  Last week I thought, bu**er it, I'll look into getting us tickets for a world cup game.  However......... the Wales games are all in grounds that are totally impossible for us to reach after work.  WTF?  Why didn't anyone think to maybe have them in Warrington which is just about reachable for us and many others who live in Wales, if they were not going to allow Wales to play pool matches within Wales?  Another massive self-foot-shoot from RL in my humble opinion. As the title says, crying over spilt milk cos nothing's going to change for the World Cup now obviously.

• Like 3

If you reckon Warrington is achievable then I’d have thought Leigh and St Helens would be a similar story?

With all respect though, it’s a tournament being hosted in northern England. Personally I’d have loved Scotland, Wales and even France to have had home group games but unfortunately that’s not how the funding worked. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hello said:

Thanks for the reply.  I think that Leigh and St Helens are that extra hour or so further that pushes it into the impossible for the likes of ourselves.  Also, one match is in Doncaster.

Leigh and St Helens are literally 10 miles either side of Warrington so not too different at all. Took me 70 minutes to drive from Colwyn Bay to Leigh after the Crusaders v Keighley game the other week. 

Ok fair enough, I checked the journey times from where I am (Aberystwyth) and I just can't make any of the games when I get back from work.  Frustrating........And I can't book time off as a teacher, set holidays.

Edited by Hello
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hello said:

Ok fair enough, I checked the journey times from where I am (Aberystwyth) and I just can't make any of the games when I get back from work.  Frustrating........And I can't book time off as a teacher, set holidays.

Chairs on tables for 3, on your way by quarter past! 😂 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Hello said:

Thanks for the reply.  I think that Leigh and St Helens are that extra hour or so further that pushes it into the impossible for the likes of ourselves.  Also, one match is in Doncaster.

Leigh with the better parking on site is literally 5/10 minutes more , and we have a Wales game 

27 minutes ago, daz39 said:

The World Cup is being held in ENGLAND so no games would be in Wales.

Just like none are in Scotland, Ireland or France neither.

Obviously, I was just saying like.............. it might have been an idea to think of the bigger picture.

4 minutes ago, Hello said:

Obviously, I was just saying like.............. it might have been an idea to think of the bigger picture.

In what way? the World Cup is in England therefore all games are being played in England, i'm sure PNG, Jamaica etc would like their group games to be played locally too, unfortunately that's not how World Cups work.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hello said:

Still can't make it GUBRATS, thanks for the input though.

Have you looked into which matches you actually can get to? You could armchair the Wales games (sub-optimal, I know), but still get to see some cracking international Rugby in the flesh.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I can totally understand why you'd love to make it to a Wales game but in the interests of exposing your son to the sport and taking in a world class international sporting event maybe you should consider going to a game not involving Wales that's on a weekend. You'll still be able to watch some fantastic sport and make some great memories.

I'm going to whichever games I can get to regardless of who is playing. One of the games I'm going to is England v Greece granted but I wouldn't be going if it wasn't just an hour train journey away and I'm going to NZ v Jamaica cos its just down the road even though I know it won't be the closest of games; I'm going to watch some brilliant RL and watch the best players in the world. I'll be at the quarter final at the MKM as well and I don't care who'll be playing. It's about enjoying the sport I love, not watching specific teams. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hello said:

I live in Luton and make Thursday night SL games mate.....a World cup one off will be a breeze! Plenty of coffee and RL podcasts on the stereo is my advice

10 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I can totally understand why you'd love to make it to a Wales game but in the interests of exposing your son to the sport and taking in a world class international sporting event maybe you should consider going to a game not involving Wales that's on a weekend. You'll still be able to watch some fantastic sport and make some great memories.

I'm going to whichever games I can get to regardless of who is playing. One of the games I'm going to is England v Greece granted but I wouldn't be going if it wasn't just an hour train journey away and I'm going to NZ v Jamaica cos its just down the road even though I know it won't be the closest of games; I'm going to watch some brilliant RL and watch the best players in the world. I'll be at the quarter final at the MKM as well and I don't care who'll be playing. It's about enjoying the sport I love, not watching specific teams. 

It is a bit about specific teams though and he is Welsh! He should take a day and stay over for the Welsh fixtures 

I'm going to the England game in Sheffield too by way.....are most of Greece's players heritages from Sydney I assume?

Those that think the poster is asking for Wales fixtures to be played in Wales are missing his point. The idea was to play Wales fixtures in the RL venues near the border.

In saying that @Hello, I agree with some of the other posters here. Shelve the Wales fixtures as an introduction for you son (watch them on tv) and get yourself to one of the bigger England weekend fixtures to enjoy live.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Those that think the poster is asking for Wales fixtures to be played in Wales are missing his point. The idea was to play Wales fixtures in the RL venues near the border.

In saying that @Hello, I agree with some of the other posters here. Shelve the Wales fixtures as an introduction for you son (watch them on tv) and get yourself to one of the bigger England weekend fixtures to enjoy live.

Or get yourself to a Papua New Guinea or Fiji fixture, for an experience you won't have very often in life.

• Like 4

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, daz39 said:

In what way? the World Cup is in England therefore all games are being played in England, i'm sure PNG, Jamaica etc would like their group games to be played locally too, unfortunately that's not how World Cups work.

The World Cup, specifically, is being mostly played in the north of England because it wouldn't have received government financing otherwise.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Jughead said:

It’s shocking that those who scheduled the World Cup didn’t think about a teacher in Aberystwyth and whether he could get there. 

Still, it should hopefully stop those moaning about the hardship of having to get from a bit of the northwest to a bit of Yorkshire for a Thursday evening kick off.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Mate, I admire your commitment to spreading the league gospel, but you live in Aberystwyth, it take hours to get anywhere from there! (Although a super town which I've visted several times.) 

I'm based on the South coast of England, so have had to limit myself to weekend games, so as to get the most bang for my buck - two games a weekend, without taking time off work. 

I reckon the biggest complaint Wales could have is that NONE of their games are on a weekend, so that really does limit it to local attendance, unless folk are willing to take one, or in my case two days, off work for a single game. 

As we've debated elsewhere, it's hard to balance all the competing issues in scheduling, so I won't moan too much. But... 

The Tonga/PNG/Wales group looks an absolute cracker, but all but one of those games are on a weeknight, which is a shame in my view. Tonga/PNG could be the match up of thr group stage, I would have loved to have gone, but it's on a Tuesday night in St Helens. I have a ticket for Tonga/Cooks in Boro, but remains to be seen if I actually go. 

11 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

If you reckon Warrington is achievable then I’d have thought Leigh and St Helens would be a similar story?

With all respect though, it’s a tournament being hosted in northern England. Personally I’d have loved Scotland, Wales and even France to have had home group games but unfortunately that’s not how the funding worked. 

No train station though? 🤷‍♂️

12 hours ago, Hello said:

School trip?

Or pull a sickie 😀

• Like 1