Crying over spilt milk

10 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Those that think the poster is asking for Wales fixtures to be played in Wales are missing his point. The idea was to play Wales fixtures in the RL venues near the border.

In saying that @Hello, I agree with some of the other posters here. Shelve the Wales fixtures as an introduction for you son (watch them on tv) and get yourself to one of the bigger England weekend fixtures to enjoy live.

There wouldn’t be much point in playing them at Gay Meadow or Edgar Street tbf. Tranmere maybe, as at least that’s near the heartlands as well as Wales. 

11 hours ago, daz39 said:

In what way? the World Cup is in England therefore all games are being played in England, i'm sure PNG, Jamaica etc would like their group games to be played locally too, unfortunately that's not how World Cups work.

It was in 2013 and 2017.

Sadly that's not how this particular World Cup has been funded, but it wasn't beyond the realms of possibility.

I too complained about there being no World Cup game in Wales. However, there is an amateur team in Bangor (know nowt about them but parochially-bound to say they are not a patch on the Torfaen Tigers😉) and semi pro teams with West Wales Raiders at Llanelli and the Crusaders at Colwyn Bay. All will be playing throughout the school holidays.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

53 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

It was in 2013 and 2017.

Sadly that's not how this particular World Cup has been funded, but it wasn't beyond the realms of possibility.

The 2013 World Cup was held in Great Britain, Ireland and France, not just England therefore that particular world cup saw games played in other countries, this one isn't so won't be.

You don't hear football, cricket or RU fans complaining that a world cup not in their country means they can't watch games locally!!.

I do think that, given the density of fixtures in some areas, every effort should have been made to prioritise boosting any French and Welsh travelling support at their games. Scotland seem to have done well with a base in Newcastle for example, though I've not checked the specific timings.

39 minutes ago, daz39 said:

The 2013 World Cup was held in Great Britain, Ireland and France, not just England therefore that particular world cup saw games played in other countries, this one isn't so won't be.

I know, I just said that.

39 minutes ago, daz39 said:

You don't hear football, cricket or RU fans complaining that a world cup not in their country means they can't watch games locally!!.

It was a perfectly reasonable comment from a casual fan considering the last time the tournament was over here, that's exactly what happened.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, daz39 said:

There are fairly significant complaints about the lack of games in the northeast for the women’s Euros.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

There are fairly significant complaints about the lack of games in the northeast for the women’s Euros.

A lot of complaints with that have been the size of the grounds as well, specifically the Manchester Academy Stadium being only 7,000 in capacity. Also Leigh and Rotherham, those two being a bit out of the way and a bit more difficult to get to considering stadiums of a similar size could easily have been found in more accessible and larger locations. 

14 hours ago, Jughead said:

It’s shocking that those who scheduled the World Cup didn’t think about a teacher in Aberystwyth and whether he could get there. 

Thanks for the useful and constructive input.

Edited by Hello
  • Like 1

Are you an Aber lad? I have a very good friend from there who played Union a lot. Sounds a good club.

Anyway, have we missed an opportunity in Wales. 100%. The schools are still strong in Cardiff i believe, but do we care. Doesn't look like it.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

12 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Those that think the poster is asking for Wales fixtures to be played in Wales are missing his point. The idea was to play Wales fixtures in the RL venues near the border.

In saying that @Hello, I agree with some of the other posters here. Shelve the Wales fixtures as an introduction for you son (watch them on tv) and get yourself to one of the bigger England weekend fixtures to enjoy live.

Thank you Sports Prophet.  You have spotted my point, which I thought was more obvious than it seems to have been to some posters.  I'm looking into other games. 

I thought it was a fair point too. I'd be quibbling not the location of the games (as has been said, Leigh and St Helens are not a ludicrous distance from N Wales) but the timing - two Monday nights and a Wednesday night are going to be a killer for a lot of people in what is not peak holiday season.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

7 hours ago, Just Browny said:

I thought it was a fair point too. I'd be quibbling not the location of the games (as has been said, Leigh and St Helens are not a ludicrous distance from N Wales) but the timing - two Monday nights and a Wednesday night are going to be a killer for a lot of people in what is not peak holiday season.

Nail on head, thanks, although if they were going to stick Wales games in mid-week then at least one game in Cheshire would seem very obvious to me.  That reduced distance from the border would make it a lot more feasible for many, especially mid-week, including the not insignificant contingent from the Wrexham/Colwyn Bay area.

Edited by Hello

8 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Are you an Aber lad? I have a very good friend from there who played Union a lot. Sounds a good club.

Anyway, have we missed an opportunity in Wales. 100%. The schools are still strong in Cardiff i believe, but do we care. Doesn't look like it.

Yep, born in England brought up in Aber through childhood though lived away a few times, fluent Welsh speaker.   If RL wants to fight back and expand then it's sometimes hard to see any joined-up thinking, that's for damn sure.

Edited by Hello

23 hours ago, Hello said:

I live in west Wales (not near the West Wales team) and have been following League for some time amongst other sports.  I spoke with my 23 year old son recently about league, he is a very proud Welshman.  His first love is the Welsh football team, second love Liverpool (inherited from myself) and third he enjoys watching the Welsh union team.  When I was talking to him about Rugby League he admitted that he thought that he would probably enjoy it more than Union.  Last week I thought, bu**er it, I'll look into getting us tickets for a world cup game.  However......... the Wales games are all in grounds that are totally impossible for us to reach after work.  WTF?  Why didn't anyone think to maybe have them in Warrington which is just about reachable for us and many others who live in Wales, if they were not going to allow Wales to play pool matches within Wales?  Another massive self-foot-shoot from RL in my humble opinion. As the title says, crying over spilt milk cos nothing's going to change for the World Cup now obviously.

A completely fair point for sure. However I'd say any world cup game is worth going to just for the experience. Coventry should be doable for you. Is Australia vs Scotland 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Or pull a sickie

So long as you don't try to claim to have diorear  dihoreer   diarrea quick sheets or you'll have to spell it.

A quick clue it's not phonically sound!

• Haha 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

19 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

A lot of complaints with that have been the size of the grounds as well, specifically the Manchester Academy Stadium being only 7,000 in capacity. Also Leigh and Rotherham, those two being a bit out of the way and a bit more difficult to get to considering stadiums of a similar size could easily have been found in more accessible and larger locations. 

Leigh seems a fair grumble but Rotherham has a train station right up the street from it... what more do these football fans want a limo service?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RP London said:

Leigh seems a fair grumble but Rotherham has a train station right up the street from it... what more do these football fans want a limo service?

Which matches are in Rotherham?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 minutes ago, RP London said:

Even with a station Rotherham can still be a little irritating to get to with it being off the mainlines. Almost always a change involved. My point about Leigh and Rotherham was also to do with capacity as I said, why pick small grounds like them in out of the way locations when similar grounds could be found in more accessible locations. Just down the road from Rotherham for example is Doncaster, similar size ground on the East Coast mainline. I'd probably have considered going to a game there as a casual fan but I won't go to a game in Rotherham. I'm not a diehard fan of women's football and the extra little bit of travel getting to Rotherham has put me off going. Funny how just changing the location by just a few miles makes all the difference. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Which matches are in Rotherham?

They're sharing group D with Manchester City Academy.. so they have France v Italy, France v Belgium and France v Israel so I assume France will be based in Rotherham (that will be lovely for them!) they then have a quarter final too.

I am very much looking forward to the match me and the family are going to at Bramall Lane.. a nice big ground in a big city with a major train station down the road (even if it normally hosts the blunts).

6 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Even with a station Rotherham can still be a little irritating to get to with it being off the mainlines. Almost always a change involved. My point about Leigh and Rotherham was also to do with capacity as I said, why pick small grounds like them in out of the way locations when similar grounds could be found in more accessible locations. Just down the road from Rotherham for example is Doncaster, similar size ground on the East Coast mainline. I'd probably have considered going to a game there as a casual fan but I won't go to a game in Rotherham. I'm not a diehard fan of women's football and the extra little bit of travel getting to Rotherham has put me off going. Funny how just changing the location by just a few miles makes all the difference. 

Did Doncaster bid for matches?

to be a bit "stuck" on the railway joke line the keepmoat is miles from a railway station and while Doncaster is up the A1 its a bit of a fiddle around from the M1 and M18.. where as Rotherham is right off the M1

Rotherham also has a history of hosting womens games and the Mens Under 17 Euros final in 2018.

I am not going to defend Rotherham heavily but I do wonder whether some of these places that people would prefer the matches to have been wanted them in the first place.

Having a very quick google around and the FA apparently had to pay some venues and cities to put their hands up as there was a lot of hesitency.. so it looks as though they didnt have the greatest say in any of this.