Crying over spilt milk

11 minutes ago, RP London said:

They're sharing group D with Manchester City Academy.. so they have France v Italy, France v Belgium and France v Israel so I assume France will be based in Rotherham (that will be lovely for them!) they then have a quarter final too.

I am very much looking forward to the match me and the family are going to at Bramall Lane.. a nice big ground in a big city with a major train station down the road (even if it normally hosts the blunts).

Ah. For some reason I had a blind spot on that.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Ah. For some reason I had a blind spot on that.

safest thing to have where Rotherham is concerned!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, RP London said:

Did Doncaster bid for matches?

to be a bit "stuck" on the railway joke line the keepmoat is miles from a railway station and while Doncaster is up the A1 its a bit of a fiddle around from the M1 and M18.. where as Rotherham is right off the M1

Rotherham also has a history of hosting womens games and the Mens Under 17 Euros final in 2018.

I am not going to defend Rotherham heavily but I do wonder whether some of these places that people would prefer the matches to have been wanted them in the first place.

Having a very quick google around and the FA apparently had to pay some venues and cities to put their hands up as there was a lot of hesitency.. so it looks as though they didnt have the greatest say in any of this.

Fair enough, you're the authority on roads cos I don't drive so wouldn't know how easy it was to get to in that respect but it is a bit more difficult on public transport. But if you want to park around that ground in Rotherham then take a spare set of wheels with you! 

Having a read around it does seem not many places actually wanted to host games. There is an article on the FA website that even says the City Ground in Nottingham was picked initially but had to be replaced with Leigh after Forest decided to do up the City Ground instead of hosting games. If your only replacement after losing a ground is Leigh then you're probably right, there weren't many other options. Sounds very similar to losing Anfield and replacing it with Wigan. 

The media really do try to make women's football seem a lot bigger than it is. You're not a major sporting event if you're having to pay people to host games for you. We'll you're certainly not a major event if you're hosting games in Rotherham! 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Fair enough, you're the authority on roads cos I don't drive so wouldn't know how easy it was to get to in that respect but it is a bit more difficult on public transport. But if you want to park around that ground in Rotherham then take a spare set of wheels with you! 

Having a read around it does seem not many places actually wanted to host games. There is an article on the FA website that even says the City Ground in Nottingham was picked initially but had to be replaced with Leigh after Forest decided to do up the City Ground instead of hosting games. If your only replacement after losing a ground is Leigh then you're probably right, there weren't many other options. Sounds very similar to losing Anfield and replacing it with Wigan. 

The media really do try to make women's football seem a lot bigger than it is. You're not a major sporting event if you're having to pay people to host games for you. We'll you're certainly not a major event if you're hosting games in Rotherham! 

I think thats possible a little harsh on womens football as a whole... I would say the issue is probably very similar to what we face as a sport. You'll get quite a lot to watch England play but the neutrals arent all that bothered and will people travel that much to see their country play? Selling the bigger grounds out without England or a near neighbour could be a struggle as your looking to tap into English casual fans and we know how hard that can be.

2 minutes ago, RP London said:

I think thats possible a little harsh on womens football as a whole... I would say the issue is probably very similar to what we face as a sport. You'll get quite a lot to watch England play but the neutrals arent all that bothered and will people travel that much to see their country play? Selling the bigger grounds out without England or a near neighbour could be a struggle as your looking to tap into English casual fans and we know how hard that can be.

I don't see how that's harsh, if the women's Euros was a major event loads of places would have been voluntarily bidding to host games. The fact they replaced a 30,000 capacity ground with an 8,000 capacity ground suggests either they didn't think they could sell the first ground out anyway or have been forced to move to a much smaller ground for lack of other options instead of somewhere of similar size wanting to host games. 

You say about not tapping into neutral fans cos they aren't bothered, that's literally the point I was making about Rotherham. I probably would have travelled to a more accessible venue but as a neutral, I can't be bothered to travel to Rotherham. I will just clarify I could easily get to Sheffield and would have done had the world cup not been moved cos all my moneys going on that now but that's an exceptional circumstance. 

The issue is very similar to what we face as a sport but no one is pretending RL is a massive sport whereas the media cover women's football like its on the same level as the men's game. 

21 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Are you a major sporting event if your global competition is dependent on a grant from the government that tells you where you have to play your games?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Are you a major sporting event if your global competition is dependent on a grant from the government that tells you where you have to play your games?

No you're certainly not, especially not if said competition can only go ahead with permission from the governing body of one particular domestic league. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I don't see how that's harsh, if the women's Euros was a major event loads of places would have been voluntarily bidding to host games. The fact they replaced a 30,000 capacity ground with an 8,000 capacity ground suggests either they didn't think they could sell the first ground out anyway or have been forced to move to a much smaller ground for lack of other options instead of somewhere of similar size wanting to host games. 

You say about not tapping into neutral fans cos they aren't bothered, that's literally the point I was making about Rotherham. I probably would have travelled to a more accessible venue but as a neutral, I can't be bothered to travel to Rotherham. I will just clarify I could easily get to Sheffield and would have done had the world cup not been moved cos all my moneys going on that now but that's an exceptional circumstance. 

The issue is very similar to what we face as a sport but no one is pretending RL is a massive sport whereas the media cover women's football like its on the same level as the men's game. 

Your tarring "womens football" with the UEFA Euros post a global pandemic that was moved from last year. 

Womens Football in the UK is growing massively both in participation and in spectators etc. UEFA Euros are different to that. I would expect all the England games will sell out. I don't think many others will. There are few tournaments where you get people going on a holiday to watch a tournament, I would say that is the case in many sports around the world that are still quite major events. The FA are doing a great job of linking with the schools in Sheffield and getting them into Bramall Lane. We probably wouldn't be going if it wasn't for this, my daughter missed out on the tickets through the school and now there are 4 of us going as she still wanted to go... what a good idea! 

The press the spot is given in the UK is because of the growth in the game in the UK. 

Re the stadiums.. The euros were supposed to be last year when we had a full summer for them to do the pitch renovations etc. How many can then do all of that and be ready for the start of a new campaign starting earlier due to mens world cup enforced break in november and december? when a ground pulls out you are then stuck with other grounds needing to plan for the same thing and now you are asking at shorter notice. 

I get a lot of what you are saying but i just think you are being a bit harsh on judging the size of womens football as a game on this tournament with all its issues. Just my personal opinion

10 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Doncaster’s stadium is 1.6 miles from the station. I appreciate everyone is different but that’s hardly “miles”. 

to be fair I had only glanced on a google map to see that it was further than Rotherham from theirs.. to be equally fair you even pluralise to miles as it is 1.6 miles... so technically it is more than 1 mile so miles 😛 

2 minutes ago, RP London said:

to be fair I had only glanced on a google map to see that it was further than Rotherham from theirs.. to be equally fair you even pluralise to miles as it is 1.6 miles... so technically it is more than 1 mile so miles 😛 

Just for fun, have a look at the distance between Yeovil junction and Yeovil Town’s ground. 

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

Just for fun, have a look at the distance between Yeovil junction and Yeovil Town’s ground. 

not sure what your looking at.. depending on the route you take its about 5 miles... 

1 minute ago, RP London said:

not sure what your looking at.. depending on the route you take its about 5 miles... 

There's a trainspotting thread on AOB.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Yeah, exactly. That makes Doncaster look like a stroll. 

well it does but then East Midlands Parkway is a bus ride and 5 miles from East Midlands airport.. not overly important to the fact that Rotherham station is 0.5 miles from the New York Stadium compared to 3 times that for Doncaster.. 

(and in any case it was all a bit of a joke around the fact Leigh doesn't even have a station, something always brought up when Leigh host a match)

8 hours ago, RP London said:

well it does but then East Midlands Parkway is a bus ride and 5 miles from East Midlands airport.. not overly important to the fact that Rotherham station is 0.5 miles from the New York Stadium compared to 3 times that for Doncaster.. 

(and in any case it was all a bit of a joke around the fact Leigh doesn't even have a station, something always brought up when Leigh host a match)

8 hours ago, Jughead said:

Yeah, exactly. That makes Doncaster look like a stroll. 

I think the good people of Leigh can justifiably feel badly done to here. There are 9 railway stations within 5 miles of the LSV. Perhaps the issue is just the name of the stations and they should be renamed to include 'Leigh':

Westhoughton -      Leigh North

Atherton -                Leigh East

Bryn -                       Leigh West

Newton-le-Willow - Leigh South

Hag Fold -                Leigh (Not Quite) Central

Ince -                        Leigh International

Earlestown -             Leigh Junction

Hindley -                   Leigh Parkway

Daisy Hill -                Leigh Beaumont

• Haha 4

Get the train to Wigan. get a bus to Leigh from right outside the train station. (It's not rocket science.)
Admittedly, getting back may be a problem!

However, I know from bitter experience, the trains from and to Aber run about once a month.

(Also Aber is MId-Wales, not West-Wales: I say this as a former [and very much regretful] Newtown resident!)

Edited by Stuff Smith
Local knowledge

1 hour ago, Stuff Smith said:

(Also Aber is MId-Wales, not West-Wales: I say this as a former [and very much regretful] Newtown resident!)

Machynlleth to Aber to St David's is West Wales.

I'm sorry you endured Newtown but truth is truth.

• Like 1