Match thread: Championship Rd 17. Featherstone Rovers v Newcastle. Saturday 2nd July 2022.

We look forward (small taxi of hardcore fans) to the trip down. We don't expect a win but to see a near full strength thunder team that's been hindered by injuries for first half of the season and alot of dual reg / loan cop outs. A performance would be nice. For us to have any chance we need to have Halsall and Hanley in the side again. Very young thunder side we have that's preparing and in its first year of full time. Went full time on a basis of relocating players up here and housing them as the part time system wasn't working for heartland players. Learning curve for the club, will this continue.. Who knows in years to come. All about next year and getting in the super league B and trying to get more wins and grow the crowds that have been woeful this year with the low standards set on the pitch. The lads just like some banter and a few drinks and songs and watching the thunder ⚡ we expect a loss but still follow

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Squad:: Ashworth, Briscoe, Broadbent, Bussey, Cooper, Davies, Eseh, Ferres, Ford, Gale, Hall, Hellewell, Jacks, Jones, Kheirallah, Leilua, Lockwood, Moors, Sene-Lefao, Smith, Springer

Just one change to the 21,  Springer for McConnell.

Let's see if Davies, Bussey, Ferres or Gale are back in the XVII

On 30/06/2022 at 13:23, marklaspalmas said:

Just one change to the 21,  Springer for McConnell.

Let's see if Davies, Bussey, Ferres or Gale are back in the XVII

Logically Springer, Eseh and Ashworth will all play, otherwise why are they here?

If Davies and Bussey are fully fit, the temptation will be to put them both straight back into the 2nd row.

I'd move Moors to 13 but then two of Hellewell, JSL and Cooper miss out. Hmmm.

I'd like to see Ford & Jacks tried at HB, Smith at 9 and Jones off the bench. I severely doubt that will happen.

While we have Broadbent, I don't think Gale will get back in the team.

• Like 1

Agree  with that i was thinking it's time for Ford to start but you cant leave Smith out.Moving to 9 with Jones off the bench looks fine.Take it Springer has been playing so i would have him and Locky starting props(middles)I   Smith 9  and would if they are fit start with Davies and Moors in second row Bussey 13. I don't think Broadbent did anything wrong last week scoring a try and the pass from moors was round his boots. So backs Briscoe,Joey Hall Broadbent.Subs Eseh, Ashworth ,Jones,and J.S.L.Hard on Cooper who always does his best but the loan players need to play.Mac wont do it but i would play Hellewell  and Hall in the centres and give Joey time to reflect on his mediocre performances over the last few weeks.  JSL has not been too good on defence since he came back but his running style should suit playing against Newcastle.

Unfortunately for Smith the obvious thing to do and has been the thing to do for several weeks is to play Ford and Jacks at halfback for the next six weeks so they can(t) play themselves into form as a pairing. Smith then doesn’t get into the 17 unless Wildie or Jones are missing. Smith is good but not great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Reading between the lines of what Hardman says in Up Next (which again is worth a listen) I think this might be the week Ford starts at half back.

Yes.

And Hardcastle will be ready for London so that's good to hear. But after such a long lay off, Josh is going to have to find top form quickly.

1 hour ago, Phil Briscoe said:

Unfortunately for Smith the obvious thing to do and has been the thing to do for several weeks is to play Ford and Jacks at halfback for the next six weeks so they can(t) play themselves into form as a pairing. Smith then doesn’t get into the 17 unless Wildie or Jones are missing. Smith is good but not great.

Ford and Jacks one week, Ford and Smith the other for me, and Smith to get the odd game at hooker. The top spot seems to have gone so the top priority must be to find out which is the best starting line up and bench. After that making it's making sure we can cover every eventuality in terms of injury or suspension. That's why we need a a third choice hooker, and Smith looks to be the outstanding candidate. One other point about Ford and Jacks is that they both play on the left. It doesn't always work out as you want it when a half back switches to the other side.

Today's opponents Newcastle really are a strange team to weigh up. Four of them have played for us (Brad Day, Alex Foster, Jack Johnson and Mitch Clark) and with the likes of Craig Mullen, Ukuma Ta'ai, Gideon Bofao (who scored 4 tries against us last year for London), Josh Woods, Oliver Roberts and Ellis Robson they have a squad that on paper ought to be competing for top 5.

They are going to field a much stronger team  with a much bigger pack than the very young team we beat at their place so we will need to play much better than we did in the first half there.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Reading between the lines of what Hardman says in Up Next (which again is worth a listen) I think this might be the week Ford starts at half back.

Well it clearly would have been, but an interview on RoversTV just now says he injured his groin at the captain's run session yesterday.

Very unfortunate all round but on paper we are fielding a strong side, let's hope they can produce a better performance than last week.

Gale, Hellewell, and Cooper the others to miss out from the original 21-man squad.

You would have thought that with a 56-22 scoreline you would have gone home happy. Not so . The attack was more fluent and some good tries , but for 30 minutes they hardly touched the ball and  in 15 plus minutes before and after half time they scored 4 tries 2 with only 12 men on the field. They were unlucky not to score 2 more in the corner. A better team would have taken us to the cleaners ie Batley. they certainly learnt nothing about defence since last week. A very ugly and unsatisfactory win, and unless Mac sorts something out smartish this season is going to end as a damp squib. Towards the end they looked shattered.

• Like 1

I got the team right apart from Ford/Smith i heard Ford pulled a muscle on the captains run.Don't know why Eseh didn't get on our middle was weak in defence again.Springer worked hard a good return for us.Our backs look ok with the ball on the edges.Davies as expected had a good game in the centre when Hall had to go full back.Plenty of improvement required if we are to hold on to second place,We are a long way behind Leigh on this showing.Joey stealing a wage.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I got the team right apart from Ford/Smith i heard Ford pulled a muscle on the captains run.Don't know why Eseh didn't get on our middle was weak in defence again.Springer worked hard a good return for us.Our backs look ok with the ball on the edges.Davies as expected had a good game in the centre when Hall had to go full back.Plenty of improvement required if we are to hold on to second place,We are a long way behind Leigh on this showing.Joey stealing a wage.

When Hardcastle is fit to return and he's at his pre-injury performance levels, he's got to go back in the centre for me