8 hours ago, Scubby said:

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo on Fox: "Why would you want a single international round of fixtures in the middle of the season when you can have a series of matches and momentum at the end of the year."

Fox Reporter: "Why can't you have both?"

Abdo then went on to say that they made a commercial decision to move Origin to Wednesdays. Quiet part out loud.

It's incredibly easy to have both. We've done that like forever. We all know we won't get anymore end of season games than what we did before to compensate. As usual it's just complete rubbish and this is all about SOO.

SOO is no longer the pinnacle, it no longer has the best players or the best games. It is just lacking these days and just has the feel of an exceptional NRL game. It can never stir the emotions like an international can and like we saw at the weekend. This is all about proping SOO up at all costs, taking away all competition and snapping up players like Tupou who given a fair choice and games would pick their country. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Dave T said:

I have to assume that Abdo is an intelligent person, why would he come out with that at the start? 

Nobody is asking for or advocating the mid-season games instead of end of season tournaments. 

I hate stuff like that, it's treating people as if they are stupid, just come out and say its a commercial decision and a packed season means there are some concessions. Some may not like it, but at least they be more truthful. 

Abdo is a joke, a puppet. The media don't go hard on him because he is doing what they want. V'landys usually does all his talking.

Edited by rlno1
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, frank said:

The way the Aussie public view tours would be a financial disaster, Look at the two games last Sat, not many Aussies in that crowd.

If the media hyped it up like they do origin it will turn around. They have been death riding it for 20 years.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RP London said:

momentum at the end of the year towards what? if its mid season you can hook new fans into then watching club games and be fans going forward (if you plan around it right, which is where we always fall down). If fans tune in for the international games at the end of the season what do they then have, a 4 month wait till the season starts again... great!

11 months with no international RL is far too long. We've seen that time and again. All momentum just gets lost year after year.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's incredibly easy to have both. We've done that like forever. We all know we won't get anymore end of season games than what we did before to compensate. As usual it's just complete rubbish and this is all about SOO.

SOO is no longer the pinnacle, it no longer has the best players or the best games. It is just lacking these days and just has the feel of an exceptional NRL game. It can never stir the emotions like an international can and like we saw at the weekend. This is all about proping SOO up at all costs, taking away all competition and snapping up players like Tupou who given a fair choice and games would pick their country. 

Agreed.

Internationals bring a different style of game which is exciting.

The way origin is going with the new rule changes a few more NSW wins and it's in trouble. Of the last 10 games, 5 have been major blowouts with all being won by NSW.

• Like 1

I was disappointed with Troy Grants view on players nation hopping, he seems to think it is all ok to play for 5 countries if you qualify. This is ridiculous, players should have one nation and that is it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rlno1 said:

I was disappointed with Troy Grants view on players nation hopping, he seems to think it is all ok to play for 5 countries if you qualify. This is ridiculous, players should have one nation and that is it.

The sport isn't big enough to "Cap and Trap" imo.

I think by having tiers that can be moved between (but not within) works well for where we are at. I.E. you can move from England to Ireland, but not England to Wales or Ireland to Wales.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The storm said:

Troy Grant is light years ahead of Nigel Wood or anyone at the RFL

He will be a world class administrator of our international game

If you believe that then I'm terrified for the game. 

He's an ex-cop and politician who said he didn't realise it was illegal to talk on the phone while driving after being caught.

new rise.jpg

Also for an organisation that selectively bleats abouts player welfare mid season SOO games are the complete opposite of that. They are disastrous for players who will be forced to backup. This is all about money and elevating SOO and to hell with player welfare or the international game.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

I think by having tiers that can be moved between (but not within) works well for where we are at. I.E. you can move from England to Ireland, but not England to Wales or Ireland to Wales.

I believe you can move from England to Wales and Ireland to Wales.

You can't go from England to Australia or NZ though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

new rise.jpg

13 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

To be fair, there was a pandemic. 

We haven’t done enough up here.  Maybe that’s because we don’t have much of a pot to urinate in, and also ‘cos we have an obsession with crowds, as if they are sole validation for whether a match has any merit.

To be fair though, I think your interest in crowds is probably because of the lack of any other metric to measure fan interest with. 

I used to have a similar obsession with NRL crowd numbers; recording them, predicting them, tallying them. Thankfully now with the abundance of TV viewing figures I don`t have to do that and really only have a passing interest as long as they appear to be holding up.

• Like 1

What number of games to people think is a reasonable, and viable, amount for a team to play annually? I've always thought 5 is a decent enough number. 1 mid-season game and 4 end of season games. Mid-season game keeps the momentum up through the season and then a month of games at the end of the season. 4 at the end of the season could be a 3 game test series and a warm up game to said series. That would be easy enough done. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Why can’t an eligible player move from England to Wales? IIRC it’s OK to move between tiers in either direction as long as the relevant rules around time frames are adhered to.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

What number of games to people think is a reasonable, and viable, amount for a team to play annually? I've always thought 5 is a decent enough number. 1 mid-season game and 4 end of season games. Mid-season game keeps the momentum up through the season and then a month of games at the end of the season. 4 at the end of the season could be a 3 game test series and a warm up game to said series. That would be easy enough done.

I'd like to see 2 mid season internationals then a tournament or test series at the end of the year. Would like a mixture of tiered 4/6 N and Euros, Oceania cup and Test series 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Being realistic if teams were consistently playing 5 or 6 games then that would be fantastic. I think 2 mid season games and then 3 or 4 end of season games is a good, realistic and achievable objective. It would also be a huge improvement on anything we have seen for a long time.

Something like that really isn't asking for the world. Obviously the more the better though.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 5

37 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Five as a minimum. I’m happy with one mid-season based on 27-28 weekly domestic games that we play over here. If we dropped the amount of games we played domestically, I’d be happy with two mid-season games but I think Super League and NRL have got to get the balance right between domestic and international games, which we don’t right now. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Why can’t an eligible player move from England to Wales? IIRC it’s OK to move between tiers in either direction as long as the relevant rules around time frames are adhered to.

That was what I said mate.

1 hour ago, rlno1 said:

He is actually supporting the international game.

The trouble is, yes he speaks sense in that and is 100% correct. However that is completely contradictory to much of what he has said previously and his attitude last year when it came to the World Cup. He is as guilty as anyone in pushing the NRL and SOO to come first.

Edited by Damien
typo
  • Like 8

23 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

I think you need to read your post again.

I meant to say that the system works right now because you can change to a nation in a different tier, ie England to Wales, but not within tiers, ie England to Australia or Wales to Ireland. I was later corrected that moving between tier 2, ie Wales and Ireland, may actually be possible.

Edited by Tommygilf

26 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

As I absolutely detest Gould, can somebody summarise what he says here as I do not want to watch it. Thank you!

He naively thinks that tiny little island countries like Tonga which count for nothing in the world fielding teams made pretty much entirely of players who never lived there or haven't lived there since they were little kids "is the making of a world game".  How delusional!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim from Oz said:

As I absolutely detest Gould, can somebody summarise what he says here as I do not want to watch it. Thank you!

‘ I am the greatest rugby sage ever born and if people just listened to me everything would be brill so there ‘

• Like 1