Harry Newman at the RFL Disciplinary appeal hearing..

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I struggle to understand why Leeds appealed. Especially to plead not guilty. 

Maybe an appeal that a two match ban was harsh but accepting guilt would have been better.

This was always the most likely outcome. Naive in the extreme by Leeds.

• Like 9

Missed a lot of rugby over the last couple of years through no fault of his own... but these three matches certainly are (well, him and the club for a crazy appeal).

He should get his head down and just play rugby. 

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

18 minutes ago, Live after death said:

RFL basically saying if you have the audacity to appeal you will get punished, the appeal process id clearly not fair or fit for purpose.

No they aren’t. There have been a number of appeals this season which haven’t resulted in a reduced ban and haven’t been deemed frivolous. 

• Like 4

Generally , i do struggle a bit with the concept of a ‘ frivolous ‘ appeal . Basically we think subjectively youre taking the proverbial daring to appeal so , err , you can have an extra game ban . Strikes me as a bit odd . Im reminded of General Melchett fining Blackadder for wasting the courts time and turning up for trial after he murdered Speckled Jim 

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Generally , i do struggle a bit with the concept of a ‘ frivolous ‘ appeal . Basically we think subjectively youre taking the proverbial daring to appeal so , err , you can have an extra game ban . Strikes me as a bit odd . Im reminded of General Melchett fining Blackadder for wasting the courts time and turning up for trial after he murdered Speckled Jim 

I think it's perfectly reasonable tbh. Otherwise everyone would just 'have a go' at the appeals. 

With such a clear cut case, there was no reason for an appeal to succeed and therefore even be considered to be submitted. 

• Like 4

I'm OK with the concept of a frivolous appeal if all the club/player is doing is just saying 'please change your mind on the decision'.  If they were bringing new evidence or a new perspective then that is different. 

• Like 7

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think it's perfectly reasonable tbh. Otherwise everyone would just 'have a go' at the appeals. 

With such a clear cut case, there was no reason for an appeal to succeed and therefore even be considered to be submitted. 

But whos to say whats clear cut . Maybe you dont and you have a right to appeal . Everyone does . Uphold it or not fair enough but whats ‘ frivolous ‘ , what criteria is that ? Well we say it is so have some more ban .  A sentence can be changed on appeal viewing the merits of a case but surely not for just using your right to appeal because subjectively its seen as a wind up

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

One thing though, if gobbing off at the ref is worth a two match ban then it should be worth a red card at the time

I thought Newman was probably lucky to get away without a card on the night. He was seen on TV having a go at the touch judge, Leeming and Roby were spoken to about players in the refs ear and then the Newman incident that ended with Oledzki pulling him away. He’d have probably got a lesser ban, if at all, if he’d have been sin binned on the night. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

One thing though, if gobbing off at the ref is worth a two match ban then it should be worth a red card at the time

Indeed, the ref took no action even though the abuse was allegedly aimed at him. If he didn't deem it worthy of even a yellow card (not forgetting he handed 3 out on the night) what right dies the review panel have to decide its worth 2 matches and then add another one on top because they feel like it? Having said that, Leeds should not have bothered to appeal as we all knew what the result would be.

19 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It was a stupid appeal, but the frivolity is so subjective across a season I think it is silly.

You either can appeal or you can't.

You can appeal and lose and not have your ban increased.  There are numerous examples from this season alone

Alternatively you can run a “frivolous “ appeal or one without merit and get your ban increased. 

And all the decisions are made by a panel headed by an independent High Court judge

It’s really not difficult. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Spotty Herbert said:

Indeed, the ref took no action even though the abuse was allegedly aimed at him. If he didn't deem it worthy of even a yellow card (not forgetting he handed 3 out on the night) what right dies the review panel have to decide its worth 2 matches and then add another one on top because they feel like it? Having said that, Leeds should not have bothered to appeal as we all knew what the result would be.

The “review panel” didn’t add the extra match. The MRP one graded the incident initially and then Leeds appeal to the Disciplinary Appeals panel which is headed by an independent High Court judge.

If Leeds and/ or Newman were stupid enough to appeal the original 2 match ban then that’s on them and nobody else

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LeeF said:

You can appeal and lose and not have your ban increased.  There are numerous examples from this season alone

Alternatively you can run a “frivolous “ appeal or one without merit and get your ban increased. 

And all the decisions are made by a panel headed by an independent High Court judge

It’s really not difficult. 

What is the definition of frivolous?

Its silly to have an appeals system that risks increasing your ban at the whim of a single judge.