Sat 2nd-Sun 3rd Jul: The Betfred League One Match Thread

Discuss this weekend's Betfred League One games here.

SATURDAY 2nd JULY
Cornwall v Hunslet KO 13:00 (OuRLeague)

SUNDAY 3rd JULY
Keighley Cougars v West Wales Raiders KO 15:00
Midlands Hurricanes v Rochdale Hornets KO 15:00
North Wales Crusaders v London Skolars KO 14:30
Swinton Lions v Doncaster KO 15:00

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

Discuss this weekend's Betfred League One games here.

SATURDAY 2nd JULY
Cornwall v Hunslet KO 13:00 (OuRLeague)

SUNDAY 3rd JULY
Keighley Cougars v West Wales Raiders KO 15:00
Midlands Hurricanes v Rochdale Hornets KO 15:00
North Wales Crusaders v London Skolars KO 14:30
Swinton Lions v Doncaster KO 15:00

Cornwall 22-18 Hunslet

Keighley 76-10 West Wales Raiders

Midlands Hurricanes 18-48 Rochdale

North Wales Crusaders 36-14 London Skolars

Swinton 36-18 Doncaster

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No room for slip-ups for 2-5 in the table, hunslet and cougars for big wins to help PTS diff, hopefully Cru will get back to winning ways and post a half decent score over skolars. Swinton Donny pick of the round, could go either way.

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

Hunslet (but a strong display from Cornwall)

Cougars (big points difference)

Hurricanes (by less than 6 points)

Crusaders (a big WIN please!!)

Swinton (but very close).

On 28/06/2022 at 22:29, Cw25 said:

Midlands Hurricanes 18-48 Rochdale

🤔Wasn’t sure i agreed with your prediction - i thought it would be a much closer score line. However just seem Midlands have 4 😳😳😳😳 on loan/dr from Castleford, so think Midlands have a very good chance of winning now. (I still think loan/dr is abhorrent and a travesty to the true league table)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Templegreen said:

🤔Wasn’t sure i agreed with your prediction - i thought it would be a much closer score line. However just seem Midlands have 4 😳😳😳😳 on loan/dr from Castleford, so think Midlands have a very good chance of winning now. (I still think loan/dr is abhorrent and a travesty to the true league table)

Yeah, me too but when in Rome....

• Like 1

On 01/07/2022 at 08:35, Yorks Tim said:

Yeah, me too but when in Rome....

On 01/07/2022 at 15:29, OriginalMrC said:

And me too but we have a lot of players out and everyone else is doing it so... 

Nope, it’s ###### 😳😳😳. Not having a go at Midlands specifically as it seems to be rife at quite a few teams atm. I don’t have a favourite L1 team, but tend to catch about 10 L1 games a season depending on where i’m travelling for work that week. Would much rather all teams played their own squad players to get a really true idea of the ability of each club.

• Like 1

Cracking game today at the Mem. Cornwall clearly up on confidence and matched Hunslet for approx 65-70mins of the game. Fair play to Hunslet, the score was a pretty fair reflection of the game. Cornwall continue to improve and will definitely roll another couple of wins this year if they keep going as they are.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Templegreen said:

Nope, it’s ###### 😳😳😳. Not having a go at Midlands specifically as it seems to be rife at quite a few teams atm. I don’t have a favourite L1 team, but tend to catch about 10 L1 games a season depending on where i’m travelling for work that week. Would much rather all teams played their own squad players to get a really true idea of the ability of each club.

I've been to plenty of games where a Coventry Bears side topped up by fringe squad members was smashed by an opposition team reinforced by DR/loans from Championship clubs. It is painful to watch and detrimental to club development. 

Players get injuries and suspensions and there is a limit to how large a squad can be seriously maintained by clubs at this level. This is particularly difficult for clubs struggling for funds and outside of the general pool of talent in the North. Success for the Hurricanes and the linking up with a wider network of developing clubs in the Midlands will help with this though I reckon. Will hopefully mean we can retain our better players for longer as the Hurricanes develop into the more attractive option at the start of a new season.

As MrC and I said though, we don't disagree with you as such, it's just that we'd rather head to Portway this afternoon believing we have a chance of beating Rochdale because we have a team made up of good quality players playing in their preferred positions. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Just seen good effort from cornwall that.  Will be stronger next year also. 

That does not necessarily follow at League 1 level and the WWR experience - admitedly not the best of role models - says that each season you end up re-booting as the previous season successes earn better deals elsewhere and the previous season failures are jettisoned.

18 minutes ago, stevecl said:

That does not necessarily follow at League 1 level and the WWR experience - admitedly not the best of role models - says that each season you end up re-booting as the previous season successes earn better deals elsewhere and the previous season failures are jettisoned.

True, that's the hardest thing for clubs in the bottom half. I was thinking that yesterday while watching Cornwall. They have at least 3 players in there that could be playing at a higher level and they may well get offers for them at the end of the season 

3 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

True, that's the hardest thing for clubs in the bottom half. I was thinking that yesterday while watching Cornwall. They have at least 3 players in there that could be playing at a higher level and they may well get offers for them at the end of the season 

Especially as those better players are likely to be some of the lads that have signed from the north and are likely to appreciate playing closer to home given the opportunity.

16 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Especially as those better players are likely to be some of the lads that have signed from the north and are likely to appreciate playing closer to home given the opportunity.

Some have already relocated for the long term. That they are glad to have done so (not least for lifestyle reasons) is a matter of record.

The opportunity to play in Cornwall will not suit everyone, but certainly a great many.

6 hours ago, Yorks Tim said:

As MrC and I said though, we don't disagree with you as such, it's just that we'd rather head to Portway this afternoon believing we have a chance of beating Rochdale because we have a team made up of good quality players playing in their preferred positions. 

Midlands have recruited well this year, I’ve seen them play twice this season i& though they looked strong & growing in confidence. I think it would have been a good close game without resorting to using 4 castleford players.