Sat 2nd-Sun 3rd Jul: The Betfred League One Match Thread

Blo**y awful start from the Hurricanes but another result that proves that they aren't a million miles from those leading League 1 .

They are going to do one of the top teams in L1 when they are least expecting it... 

Just saying like 😀

• Like 1

The game at Portway was perhaps won by the team that were switched on at the first whistle. The opening 15 minutes were a disaster for Hurricanes but the fighback in the second half was thrilling nonetheless.

I wasn't in the right position to judge but those who were said we were hard done by with two tries ruled out for forward passes.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Yorks Tim said:

The game at Portway was perhaps won by the team that were switched on at the first whistle. The opening 15 minutes were a disaster for Hurricanes but the fighback in the second half was thrilling nonetheless.

I wasn't in the right position to judge but those who were said we were hard done by with two tries ruled out for forward passes.

I was and even the Rochdale fan next to me said they were a mile forward.

Add the 3 tries that were disallowed ironically one of them was given as forward. Which I am told was not.

All in all we wuz robbed.

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Much closer all round this week (except WWR but they kept below the ton)...Donny the biggest surprise for me doing Swinton, and well done Hurricanes on being close with hairnets. As for us, a win's a win and hopefully gets us back on track.. I couldn't make it today but it sounds like (from those there) we made it harder than it should have been, credit to skolars for that.

Who'll finish where out of 2-5??? It'll be an interesting run-in to the playoffs!!

• Like 3

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Templegreen said:

Midlands have recruited well this year, I’ve seen them play twice this season i& though they looked strong & growing in confidence. I think it would have been a good close game without resorting to using 4 castleford players. 

You've made your point mate and we don't disagree. However, the Hurricanes have over 10 players unavailable through injury and suspension. What would you suggest the coaching team do? Try out some untested youngsters, or bring in some experience via D/R?

A thriller at the Hurricanes today. Terrible start and a thrilling fightback with some great tries. Had it not been for some questionable decisions we'd have won. Saying that you can't gift 22 points in the first 10 mins and win no matter how well you play afterwards 

• Like 2

a remarkable job Joe Mbu is doing at Skolars almost totally home grown club players or London pathway. 6 games age getting beaten by 90+. suspect they will take a scalp or two before the end of the season. quite a turnaround. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Templegreen said:

Midlands have recruited well this year, I’ve seen them play twice this season i& though they looked strong & growing in confidence. I think it would have been a good close game without resorting to using 4 castleford players. 

Midlands along with Skolars, Raiders Cornwall and to a lesser extent Cru, don't have the luxury of the ' shout down the pit and pick up a prop' scenario  and it's ease of player recruitment in York's / Lancs that most of the other L1 clubs enjoy.. 

Hurricanes this morning held  a massive tournament for Midlands Based Junior Clubs taking place across the outer fields at Portway pre game.Building the game locally not just for now but for the future

But hey just slate us for borrowing a couple of players from Cas...

Edited by Rach
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, FearNothing said:

Much closer all round this week (except WWR but they kept below the ton)...Donny the biggest surprise for me doing Swinton, and well done Hurricanes on being close with hairnets. As for us, a win's a win and hopefully gets us back on track.. I couldn't make it today but it sounds like (from those there) we made it harder than it should have been, credit to skolars for that.

Who'll finish where out of 2-5??? It'll be an interesting run-in to the playoffs!!

Not our most inspiring performance, but at least we got the job done in the end, helped by a good work in defence in the second half, Skolars are nobody's fools and have a decent back division. Our last two home games are against Rochdale and Swinton, which could be interesting!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Not our most inspiring performance, but at least we got the job done in the end, helped by a good work in defence in the second half, Skolars are nobody's fools and have a decent back division. Our last two home games are against Rochdale and Swinton, which could be interesting!

Was hearing yesterday that the pitch is being replaced with a 4G surface.......after the Rochdale game!

So we don't know where the Swinton game will be played.😖

• Sad 1

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

2 hours ago, fearnowt said:

Was hearing yesterday that the pitch is being replaced with a 4G surface.......after the Rochdale game!

So we don't know where the Swinton game will be played.😖

Oh Gawd! Suppose 4G's sensible and has to be done before the Union season starts, but as things are going the Swinton game could have a big gate.