Hypocrite

21 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

What makes him look even more daft is that Warrington's Academy beat Wigan just a few weeks ago.

That's completely irrelevant. The whole point of running an Academy is to bring through the next generation of SL players for the club. Something that Wigan, Saints & Leeds have done consistently well for years and Warrington haven't.

Its no point have great young players if they get binned off for some expensive, underperforming Aussie once they come to the end of their Academy days.

• Like 2

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Thought this thread was appropriate.

Phil Gould calls for relaxed State of Origin rules following Brian To'o decision (msn.com)

Speaking on 100% Footy on Monday night, Gould said rugby league needs to differentiate Origin from international football to make the latter more sustainable long-term.

“I just can’t stand the absurdity of the argument," he said.

"Origin and international football are two completely different beasts.

"For all of history, anyone who has grown up in Australia played for Australia, we belted everyone and there has been no international football worth serving up.

"Suddenly we have an opportunity to create a whole new range of international football. We’ve got emerging nations who love to play in second tiers – what is the problem with kids that grow up in this country playing State of Origin.

This is the part you`ll really love.

"International football is a whole new world that has never been explored. NRL needs to take control of world rugby league and there is a real opportunity there for a whole new level and a whole new brand of football. "

"If anyone can’t see that, they are brain dead."

You`ve got to laugh, it`s like he`s the one who has discovered the potential of international football and is now its` greatest champion. Breathtaking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 29/06/2022 at 17:44, Damien said:

Considering how little academy players get paid fair play to them if they decide to take up another offer elsewhere.

Another issue is the very poor wages for youth, full time players on very little, I've heard rumours of minimum wage. A borderline player is likely to take another path, that's another club or out of the game

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Phil Gould calls for relaxed State of Origin rules following Brian To'o decision (msn.com)

Speaking on 100% Footy on Monday night, Gould said rugby league needs to differentiate Origin from international football to make the latter more sustainable long-term.

"For all of history, anyone who has grown up in Australia played for Australia, we belted everyone and there has been no international football worth serving up.

"Suddenly we have an opportunity to create a whole new range of international football. We’ve got emerging nations who love to play in second tiers – what is the problem with kids that grow up in this country playing State of Origin.

"International football is a whole new world that has never been explored. NRL needs to take control of world rugby league and there is a real opportunity there for a whole new level and a whole new brand of football. "

You`ve got to laugh, it`s like he`s the one who has discovered the potential of international football and is now its` greatest champion. Breathtaking.

He said all this guff last year at the time of the World Cup withdrawal.

There seems to be more and more of a push to turn SOO into a quasi international now that it doesn't have the world's best players, as in years gone by.

Yes they should be different beasts but the NRL keeps trying to muddy the waters to try and elevate SOO above the international game. The scrapping of mid season tests is just another way to do that by taking away choice to control players.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

He’s banged that particular drum for a few years, maybe even as far back as 2019 and certainly around the time of the rumours that even made it to Sky News about the NRL buying a stake in Super League. 

Having seen what come out recently that the IRL accounts were on an Excel spreadsheet prior to Troy Grant’s arrival, it doesn’t surprise me that they would like an official claim on the international game because I can’t imagine much else was particularly professional there. 

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

So he wants the NRL to oversee International RL,the very same NRL who caused the cancellation of last years World Cup because their clubs didn’t want the players to miss pre season friendlies & the same NRL who have just pulled the plug on the successful mid season Pacific Tests.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Jughead said:

He’s banged that particular drum for a few years, maybe even as far back as 2019 and certainly around the time of the rumours that even made it to Sky News about the NRL buying a stake in Super League. 

Having seen what come out recently that the IRL accounts were on an Excel spreadsheet prior to Troy Grant’s arrival, it doesn’t surprise me that they would like an official claim on the international game because I can’t imagine much else was particularly professional there. 

I expect there was a great deal of artist  license in Grants comments there. It allows him to claim he made significant improvements, but not really the stuff you can see. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I expect there was a great deal of artist  license in Grants comments there. It allows him to claim he made significant improvements, but not really the stuff you can see. 

I was going to say much the same on this when it has been brought up previously. I'm fairly certain that previous people that have taken this role have pretty much made identical comments around governance and finances. Indeed pretty much everything Grant has said has been said before. As you say its pretty common to talk down the position an organisation is in so you can then claim you have made all these improvements.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Damien said:

I was going to say much the same on this when it has been brought up previously. I'm fairly certain that previous people that have taken this role have pretty much made identical comments around governance and finances. Indeed pretty much everything Grant has said has been said before. As you say its pretty common to talk down the position an organisation is in so you can then claim you have made all these improvements.

The statement about excel is a bit of a play to the crowds too. He referenced a piece of software that people knew to attack the competence of those before him - it buys him some time and breathing space.

And tbh, I work for a major financial services provider, and if I asked our finance guys for our budget today, I'd be getting it in an excel file.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

"For all of history, anyone who has grown up in Australia played for Australia, we belted everyone and there has been no international football worth serving up."

Just on this one point, and I know I shouldn't take it seriously because Gus is a bloated idiot, but this just isn't true. Australia have played England/GB 161 times, winning 88, losing 72 and drawing 8. Thats a win percentage of 54%. But, you know, we can't expect one of the game's leading experts to know anything abut the game.

• Like 3

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I guess the consolation is that these comments won't continue much longer as he can't be long for this world surely?

Is he an alcoholic or are his looks/complexion a disorder- genuine question as he looks absolutely awful and at deaths door

Wigan have taken about a Dozen Leigh lads into their structure these past 2 years - nobody is crying. Wigans Academy system is the Best of the Best - they produce far more SL players  than most, the problem becomes the salary cap when academy contracts come to an end, especially when paying for high salaried imports and the youngsters now established SL players expecting the pay to match the pain.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I guess the consolation is that these comments won't continue much longer as he can't be long for this world surely?

Is he an alcoholic or are his looks/complexion a disorder- genuine question as he looks absolutely awful and at deaths door

I have read in the past that he is a insomniac.

16 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I don't know if he drinks but he does look odd.

I think he might be Jabba the Hutt's lovechild.

Edited by fighting irish
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I have read in the past that he is a insomniac.

It must be his guilty conscience. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

Of course, they work hard on bringing through immature children with a Wigan complex. Just Browny is due to graduate as soon as his balls drop.

Impressive amount of irony there young man!

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

5 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Wigan have taken about a Dozen Leigh lads into their structure these past 2 years - nobody is crying. Wigans Academy system is the Best of the Best - they produce far more SL players  than most, the problem becomes the salary cap when academy contracts come to an end, especially when paying for high salaried imports and the youngsters now established SL players expecting the pay to match the pain.

From amateur clubs,where do you want those young lads to go,wait until they are 23 and sign for Leigh.

Everyone clearly has every reason to be critical of Warringtons record of youth development, but I think people have made the assumption that they ‘weren’t bothered’ about it, which I don’t think is true, I just don’t think we got it right.

John Bastian joined as head of youth in 2008, a statement of intent at the time that Warrington were serious about investing in the academy but whilst we’ve had some successes since then, Currie, Philbin & King have gone on to be very good SL players / internationals, but there has never been a regular supply of first team ready players to bring through. This is often criticised as Warrington chasing success with fat contracts for players developed elsewhere - which is obviously true - but more concerning for me was always the ‘squad filler’ players we signed, recent examples of Matt Davis, Greg Minikin and Rob Butler, this has been the biggest indicator to me over the past 15 years that it hasn’t been working, these squad positions should be taken up through promotions from the academy, and is the case at Wigan / Saints / Leeds in the main. If a player has shown promise, he’s been given a shot - Dec Patton had 100 games to prove himself, Harvey Livett almost 50. These are the only two players produced recently (current players aside) that have looked anything like SL players, not good enough.

However, there seems to be some promising signs of late, Thewlis, Wrench, Longstaff & Dean coming through recently, looking capable of holding down first team positions and as Dave points out above a strong contingent in the Roses academy squads. Paul Anderson brought in in 2018, succeeded by Richard Marshall is probably quite an investment in terms of wages (both having SL experience as head coaches and no.2’s at prominent clubs) to try and improve the development of players through the system as head academy coaches. Also talk from the new Head of Youth about links with local community clubs, which hasn’t been great recently - already this year we have had Warrington players and coaches at community clubs training sessions taking part at least twice - Powell taking part in my sons U11’s training session was great.

Time will tell if we start the see consistency in terms of players coming through the system now, but we seem to be moving in the right direction.

On Nicholson, he seems to be a player Warrington have been tracking from a young age, we got him at the second time of asking, presumably as he see’s an easier route to first team than at Wigan. Similar to KPP at Wigan, clubs will always be looking to bring quality young players in if they can compliment what they have.

• Like 2

In reality we've done fine with our Academy. Could be better, but certainly not deserving of the criticism that we get. 

In terms of league position, over the last 10 years or so we have been 4th most successful team, made a few Grand Finals, Cup Finals, won an LLS, couple of cups etc. 

We've always had a handful of club developed players in our squad, and have bought talent on top to complement them. Sure, we could go down the route of playing three or four more, but that wouldn't have seen us challenging Saints and Wigan at the top, it would have seen us fall further back into the pack of clubs behind us.

Having more local players may be noble and commendable, but if they are not good enough then it is a little perverse. 

I've been watching Wire for around 35 years. 

If I look back at 1988 squad lists, I remember enjoying watching David Lyon, Mike Gregory, Mark Roberts, Tony Thorniley, Billy McGinty, Mark Forster, Gary Sanderson, Paul Cullen, Martin Crompton etc. I recall that some of these ended up with other rival clubs.

If I move forward a decade to 1998, I enjoyed watching Lee Penny, Jon Roper, Chris Rudd, Gary Chambers, Ian Knott, Warren Stevens, Mark Hilton, Mike Wainwright etc. Of course by this time I was a little disappointed that we had had Iestyn Harris and Paul Sculthorpe taken by bigger rivals with more money.

Another decade on - 2008 - Matty Blythe, Mike Cooper, Mark Gleeson, Ben Harrison, Lee Mitchell, Kevin Penny, Chris Riley, Paul Wood etc. 

2018 saw the likes of - Cooper, Currie, Patton, Philbin, Toby King, George King, Livett etc. wearing the P&B. 

The reality is that clubs have always played club-developed youth, and always bought players in. It appear to be less of an issue when it was Iestyn Harris or Paul Sculthorpe being unsettled at Warrington.

I'm pretty comfortable with how we go about making up our squad. But we of course can do better, both developing and signing better quality players.

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 2