Is Big Mac on his way out,

34 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I don't have much history of either the reporter or Serious about RL, it just popped up on my pad in the "headline" column, and after in the very recent past reading of some Fev fans scratching their heads on the selections of the team and letting others go out on loan even when the team is depleted with injuries, I thought it may be relevant, a ls they say Phantom "don't shoot the messenger"

I would humbly submit that any "messenger" who is publishing something on the internet simply because it "popped up on my pad" needs to be, well not shot but certainly shot down.

This is how fake news grows - people making no attempt to assess the credibility of the source and simply spreading it round as if it's true. Both these sources have occasionally been right btw, but they have been wrong so often that they can't be taken seriously as news sources.

If you set up your own Twitter account and called yourself something like "RL Oracle" or "League Insider" and started breaking fake news stories, they would quickly be "popping up" on forums/FB etc, just as this story has "popped up" on TotalRL.

This sort of stuff is everywhere, on the Fev fans' FB page this week someone put a link up to a story up about Hall going to Batley and Ford going to Wakefield. That link then immediately got posted on the Leigh FB page and all of a sudden  people on both pages are talking about it as if  it were true without doing any due diligence on the source of the "story." (though in fairness there were plenty on the Fev page who immediately called it out).

Obviously it's not just RL, or even just sport, where this is an issue.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I would humbly submit that any "messenger" who is publishing something on the internet simply because it "popped up on my pad" needs to be, well not shot but certainly shot down.

This is how fake news grows - people making no attempt to assess the credibility of the source and simply spreading it round as if it's true. Both these sources have occasionally been right btw, but they have been wrong so often that they can't be taken seriously as news sources.

If you set up your own Twitter account and called yourself something like "RL Oracle" or "League Insider" and started breaking fake news stories, they would quickly be "popping up" on forums/FB etc, just as this story has "popped up" on TotalRL.

This sort of stuff is everywhere, on the Fev fans' FB page this week someone put a link up to a story up about Hall going to Batley and Ford going to Wakefield. That link then immediately got posted on the Leigh FB page and all of a sudden  people on both pages are talking about it as if  it were true without doing any due diligence on the source of the "story." (though in fairness there were plenty on the Fev page who immediately called it out).

Obviously it's not just RL, or even just sport, where this is an issue.

Your knowledge of social media is much greater than mine Phantom, I don't do Twitter or Facebook or visit club's blog pages including my own, apart from this site the only other one I have been on is RL Fans and then only Leigh's page but I have not been on there for months, as I  have said it was posted in all innocence, believe that or not quite  frankly I don't care 

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Haha 2

We're in an era where a story is published that an agent wants the salary cap raised or scrapped, and those writing don't question why someone profiting from that would want it. That's the level of some "journalists" who probably haven't done any qualifications to call themselves such.

Edited by RigbyLuger

People complaining about somebody called Aristotle giving them duff information ? 😉 

Its an internet forum about RL , all posts should be taken with a massive pinch of salt until proven otherwise 

6 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

We're in an era where a story is published that an agent wants the salary cap raised or scrapped, and those writing don't question why someone profiting from that would want it. That's the level of some "journalists" who probably haven't done any qualifications to call themselves such.

Were in an era of complete and utter bullsheeeeeite 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Your knowledge of social media is much greater than mine Phantom, I don't do Twitter or Facebook or visit club's blog pages including my own, apart from this site the only other one I have been on is RL Fans and then only Leigh's page but I have not been on there for months, as I  have said it was posted in all innocence, believe that or not quite  frankly I don't care 

Knowing your posts I am sure you didn't intend it with any malice Harry. I'm more complaining about the general tendency to re-publish stuff without any attempt to weigh up the validity and reliability of the source.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Knowing your posts I am sure you didn't intend it with any malice Harry. I'm more complaining about the general tendency to re-publish stuff without any attempt to weigh up the validity and reliability of the source.

Because it's fun 😉

2 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I know what you mean , I was gutted when I saw the post suggesting he'd gone , but thankfully it was a bit premature , he's still there , ' ticking away ' 😁

2 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

SARL are about as much fun as toothache. If you get off on that sort of thing, good luck to you.

All my info comes from here , only board I go on , only social media I go on 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

All my info comes from here , only board I go on , only social media I go on 

Given you seem more concerned about whether a story amuses you or meets your agenda rather than whether it's credible, you'd probably love FB and other social media...

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Given you seem more concerned about whether a story amuses you or meets your agenda rather than whether it's credible, you'd probably love FB and other social media...

Which is why my phone doesn't have a camera , less temptation 😉

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

May I just say, that I have no issues whatsoever with Fev, and even some of you may remember how much I have defended the club when others have not been so complementary about visiting POR, if there is a problem with your coach then I am sure it will get sorted, I am much more interested in what is happening West of the Pennines in a small town in the Wigan Metropolitan area.

Aye but is your town smaller then our town in the Wakefield Metropolitan area ?

56 minutes ago, Cw25 said:

McDermott probably thinks he is better than Featherstone and the Championship. 

Imo he can think what he wants lol, iam certainly not impressed with his style of rugby.