Sorry Sam no sympathy

Listened to about half the first episode of The Bye Round podcast with James Graham. There was a lot of Graham talking about Origin for too long but from what I’ve heard of his interview with Burgess is he’s very open and honest even if his accent has an Australian twang to it. 

8 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Pretty sure he isn’t looking for sympathy & is merely giving his version of events after being the fall guy for the kick & clappers.

You can call it anything .... setting the record straight or whatever.

But if he hadn't gone they wouldn't have had anyone to blame. K&C always need a fall guy and he was the prime suspect for all the "right reasons". They illustrated what they're madeof and what they're capable of and are an object lesson for anyone thinking about trying.

That #'$%£ of an agent said something about testing yourself at that level and as comical as that is, is based entirley on the dosh available to agents.

• Like 2

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

10 minutes ago, Niels said:

He did cost them the game against Wales 😏

He says in the interview that he went off and at that point England were winning by ten but went on to lose.

He also said he went in blind, he’d never played a game of RU in his life and had no understanding of the rules, so had to get help from people to learn the game, whilst then being shunted from position to position, just about learning one before having to learn a brand new one, again. 

I watched that game and as I remember Wales were sustaining injuries like the Battle of the Somme - halfbacks had to play wing etc - but England still managed to stuff it up - after Burgess went off. And then they declined to kick a penalty goal and lost by three points. 

36 minutes ago, dkw said:

Im hoping this is a joke as In he cost them the game by being subbed. Otherwise its very, very wrong 

The Welsh players didn't rate him. They said he made no contact against his opposite number Roberts, who was then fresh and able to dominate Burgess' replacement. 

• Haha 6

48 minutes ago, Niels said:

The Welsh players didn't rate him. They said he made no contact against his opposite number Roberts, who was then fresh and able to dominate Burgess' replacement. 

He should have been fresh,he spent 70 mins in Sam’s pocket.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Niels said:

So Burgess' replacement cost them the game?

If you really want to pin it on one player, which I tend to quite dislike doing.

Maybe my memory is sketchy but I remember Sam doing his job well and more than holding his own against a vaunted British Lion , and then things quickly went downhill when he got took off . But he was a very convenient and very predictable scapegoat for a complete collective basket case and he’s well out of it . Now he should be in Wane’s staff for the WC 

1 hour ago, Niels said:

So in this other reality you live in, do Unicorns exist?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, dkw said:

So in this other reality you live in, do Unicorns exist?

I remember the game well, though I wasn't supporting England.

He just wasn't effective so was taken off. Wales subdued him.

What everyone here wants to hear is that he was beating Wales single handed and then, being inexplicably taken off, England fell apart. 

Though suprisingly as he was so good he didn't win a world cup with England RL either. They didn't even score in the last final when he was captain?

Edited by Niels
  • Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Niels said:

What everyone here wants to hear is that he was beating Wales single handed and then, being inexplicably taken off, England fell apart. 

Though suprisingly as he was so good he didn't win a world cup with England RL either. They didn't even score in the last final when he was captain?

I hate rugby league too. 💪

40 minutes ago, Niels said:

This may come as a surprise but both League & Union are team games generally with 12 or 14 other players in the team,Mesi,Ronaldo,Best &  Cruyff never won FIFA World Cuos & they were pretty useful & I believe Wales haven’t come close to winning a Union World Cup despite having great players.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Niels said:

Woah, you’re brave! 

Think you’ll find it was more the case that the Welsh centre Roberts - first name escapes me - was their battering ram to win the ruck and gain territory and Burgess’ job at centre was to stop him.

It worked, England were winning by 10 points and Wales looked a beaten side. Then Burgess went off, Roberts could suddenly do damage, England lost.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

This may come as a surprise but both League & Union are team games generally with 12 or 14 other players in the team,Mesi,Ronaldo,Best &  Cruyff never won FIFA World Cuos & they were pretty useful & I believe Wales haven’t come close to winning a Union World Cup despite having great players.

Haven’t the Welsh football side had Ryan Giggs and Gareth Bale playing for them but have struggled to win the World Cup

The whole England team were ineffective, no single player was the cause.

That said playing Burgess as a brand new untested convert could potentially have led to issues within the team and his lack of experience, despite his undoubted talent, could have caused a point of focus for opposition attacks.

If there's a target for finger pointing it's whoever rushed Burgess into the England team before he was ready.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Haven’t the Welsh football side had Ryan Giggs and Gareth Bale playing for them but have struggled to win the World Cup

Couldn’t get to a World Cup never mind winning it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Woah, you’re brave! 

Think you’ll find it was more the case that the Welsh centre Roberts - first name escapes me - was their battering ram to win the ruck and gain territory and Burgess’ job at centre was to stop him.

It worked, England were winning by 10 points and Wales looked a beaten side. Then Burgess went off, Roberts could suddenly do damage, England lost.

Brave yes as he seems to have a fan club here who admire eveything he does.

However I suspect there are many like me who are doubtful because of his off field behaviour. 

Players such as James Roby and Rob Burrow are players I read and listen to as they are great role models with exemplary chatacters. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2