The Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Is this something we didn't already know ? 

No, but it just so happens her ineptness has now infiltrated our sport.

Reading Social Media and the responses everyone seems A. Aware of RL and B. Not actually having a go at it for once!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

No, but it just so happens her ineptness has now infiltrated our sport.

Reading Social Media and the responses everyone seems A. Aware of RL and B. Not actually having a go at it for once!

She has certainly made people more aware of the RLWC  and our game as a whole

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

She's a plonker and it is a gaffe clearly, but it would be foolish for the game to think that this isn't a reflection on the sport too.

When our main broadcast partner actively promotes the sport they call  "Rugby" during the advert breaks in RL games? (RL  itself not worthy of a mention, obviously).

Even in the graphics that introduce *their actual RL coverage*,  there's a number 10 putting a high kick up. Number 10: attacking kick? Really? Prop forward, attacking kick?  Possible, but unusual.

Hold on a mo': a number 10 with an attacking kick? That's far more likely in "another" game. People who are sports "experts" in the UK act like RL doesn't exist.

It's not just a reflection on the sport: its's a fair bit deeper than that; we've always been fighting an uphill battle (like at Batley).

Edited by Stuff Smith
  • Haha 1

My wife, who I have been educating on the difference between Rugby League and Rugby Union for well over a decade, bought me this t-shirt a couple of years ago.

I have obviously not worn it... that is a model, not me!

1167593254_raunisex_tshirtx2200101010_01c5ca27c6front-c3921467501000-bgf8f8f8_u6.thumb.jpg.4573807b59dcc531c7137b1e8af86dfc.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

32 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

You are dead right about her ignorance. But we really don't help ourselves in the first place. 

That is incredibly harsh when this was an RLWC event which will be the biggest and most inclusive in our history and had a top government minister speaking at it. The event was highlighting the social impact the tournaments have already had on communities. 

That is us absolutely helping ourselves. She effed up as she does about everything, yet your response is to criticise RL? 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

That is incredibly harsh when this was an RLWC event which will be the biggest and most inclusive in our history and had a top government minister speaking at it. The event was highlighting the social impact the tournaments have already had on communities. 

That is us absolutely helping ourselves. She effed up as she does about everything, yet your response is to criticise RL? 

Yep. Because irrespective of the fab work that is being done to promote this World Cup, we are lightyears behind less parochial sports in having the audience, understanding and acknowledgement I believe our sport needs. Forgive me for feeling let down by that. 

Some might remember a nice article in the Guardian about French RL a while ago. Unfortunately it was illustrated with an image of a Stade Toulousain game. Sadly common but I can't think of any examples in the other direction.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

My wife, who I have been educating on the difference between Rugby League and Rugby Union for well over a decade, bought me this t-shirt a couple of years ago.

I have obviously not worn it... that is a model, not me!

1167593254_raunisex_tshirtx2200101010_01c5ca27c6front-c3921467501000-bgf8f8f8_u6.thumb.jpg.4573807b59dcc531c7137b1e8af86dfc.jpg

Pretty life like model - Airfix??

8 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Yep. Because irrespective of the fab work that is being done to promote this World Cup, we are lightyears behind less parochial sports in having the audience, understanding and acknowledgement I believe our sport needs. Forgive me for feeling let down by that. 

We could be ten times the size we are now and you could still make the same point. 

Some people just want to criticise RL no matter what happens. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Dave T said:

We could be ten times the size we are now and you could still make the same point. 

It’s bizarre, no one outside of here seems to be criticising the sport, in fact it’s the opposite, most people seem to be saying how thick she is for nor knowing the difference.

• Like 4

Are all these six pages of posts about Nadine Dorries?

Given the depth and level of her understanding and the nature of her role how many pages has John Drake sent to the Phantom Zone?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I am a staunch supporter of RL. I work my backside off as a volunteer in the game. 

It's up to you if you want to badge me up as some sort of serial caviler.

It is not in any way a reflection on the sport and that kind of argument really defies logic, like blaming the victim rather than the perp! ( I've been watching The Rookie too often)

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

It’s bizarre, no one outside of here seems to be criticising the sport, in fact it’s the opposite, most people seem to be saying how thick she is for nor knowing the difference.

For example

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

He means on here , just like the Toronto thread has reawakened posters having a go at traditional clubs not matching their attendances despite ' having 100 years start ' 🙁

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

We should use this to push , pointing out we had the original ' Rugby World Cup ' , something Matt Dawson was amazed at learning on a QOS 

Nadine Dorries doesn't know the difference. Do You?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Stuff Smith said:

Again, sports "expert": should have known.

Our last 'sports expert' was probably Martin Offiah. It is such a shame we can't infiltrate a panel show with a household RL name.

Matt Dawson makes me cringe. Our Nadime is a total and utter liability. I don't think there will be many that disagree with the latter. 

Edited by Northern Eel
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Northern Eel said:

Our last 'sports expert' was probably Martin Offiah. It is such a shame we can't infiltrate a panel show with a household RL name.

Unfortunately, the only RL-friendly person we are ever likely to get onto any "sports" panel show is Johnny Vegas. Absolutely nothing against him, but if you were looking to reinforce a stereotype...