Toronto Wolfpack (Future of the club 2022 onwards)

Right, just binned off 90% of this thread because it was either dredging up past arguments that have been done to death on here, or people just slagging each other off.

Let's start again.

If you have anything to say about the future of Toronto Wolfpack, as outlined in the opening post, feel free to discuss it here, in a calm and friendly manner, as befits TRL.

If you want to argue about what happened in the past at Toronto Wolfpack, there is literally an entire section of the forum for you to do that.

https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/forum/500-toronto-wolfpack/

Thank you for your co-operation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’d rather some solid details before a merchandise drop but it’s a positive step. 

The USARL are a few rounds into their season and British Columbia RL have been playing, too. It’s a shame it’s so divided over there. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I’d rather some solid details before a merchandise drop but it’s a positive step. 

The USARL are a few rounds into their season and British Columbia RL have been playing, too. It’s a shame it’s so divided over there. 

And people say they don’t understand rugby league culture over there! 😁

Step one certainly has to be finalising the fixtures and just completing a season if nothing else. 

Of course there needs to be a longer term goal of raising the profile of the game, building junior teams etc but they just need to get some games played first!

Can the RLIF not bang some heads together to get USARL and NARL to sort out their differences?

Four years to the day I was actually at Lamport with thousands of enthusiastic and knowledgeable locals, plenty of them being youngsters engaged with the game. I just hope they’ve not found new interests in the meantime. 

Edited by Leyther_Matt
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Davo5 said:

With their fan base let’s hope they can lead the way in the future development of RL in North America but the 2 rival parties really need to come together.

Probs doesn't help that one of those parties is in Huddersfield...

6 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

"Can the RLIF not bang some heads together to get USARL and NARL to sort out their differences?"

hasn't the IRL been doing that recently???

I honestly don’t know Jim so will bow to anyone more informed than me on that front, but they aren’t banging then hard enough for as long as two different structures exist. 

26 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I honestly don’t know Jim so will bow to anyone more informed than me on that front, but they aren’t banging then hard enough for as long as two different structures exist. 

Isn't this all because people see the way sport operates in the US , and are therefore hoping to be the ones who make the big money if it kicks off ? 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Isn't this all because people see the way sport operates in the US , and are therefore hoping to be the ones who make the big money if it kicks off ? 

Quite possibly, but in the same vein it won't ever become a commercial success until there's a coordinated effort and pooled resources.

7 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Quite possibly, but in the same vein it won't ever become a commercial success until there's a coordinated effort and pooled resources.

Sounds like we have the same problem 

14 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Commercial success would require a lot more investment than the paltry amounts which Ricky Wilby's backers put up for the NARL and attracting that investment would require that someone have a credible plan showing those investors how the league backed by their investment could grow and become profitable just like all the other major North American leagues have done.  And paltry as the amounts claimed when the NARL was first announced are even compared to the values of minor league franchises in North America (which back in 2016 went as high as the 49 million US$ valuation which Forbes gave the Triple-A baseball Sacramento River Cats), they were still well beyond the means of the owners of the clubs in the USARL.

As I've said before a top-down approach is needed, and a very well-funded top-down approach at that.  The required amount per franchise falls somewhere between that 49 million US$ figure and the 325 million US$ which the least expensive of the established major leagues (MLS) charges for an expansion franchise.

Addendum: Further to this, news broke today of another major shift in NCAA athletics, namely that USC and UCLA (both located in Los Angeles) will both leave the Pac_12 Conference for the Big 10 which will become the first NCAA conference to stretch from coast to coast.  There's big money involved in their move which is why both universities are happy to ditch their 100 year old association with Stanford, California and the other schools which were with them in the original Pac-8 and join a conference where their nearest other opponent (Nebraska) is about 2,400 km from them and in another time zone.  There's a good reason why the saying "go big or go home" is prevalent in this part of the world.

Edited by Big Picture

9 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Commercial success would require a lot more investment than the paltry amounts which Ricky Wilby's backers put up for the NARL and attracting that investment would require that someone have a credible plan showing those investors how the league backed by their investment could grow and become profitable just like all the other major North American leagues have done.  And paltry as the amounts claimed when the NARL was first announced are even compared to the values of minor league franchises in North America (which back in 2016 went as high as the 49 million US$ valuation which Forbes gave the Triple-A baseball Sacramento River Cats), they were still well beyond the means of the owners of the clubs in the USARL.

As I've said before a top-down approach is needed, and a very well-funded top-down approach at that.  The required amount per franchise falls somewhere between that 49 million US$ figure and the 325 million US$ which the least expensive of the established major leagues (MLS) charges for an expansion franchise.

Addendum: Further to this, news broke today of another major shift in NCAA athletics, namely that USC and UCLA (both located in Los Angeles) will both leave the Pac_12 Conference for the Big 10 which will become the first NCAA conference to stretch from coast to coast.  There's big money involved in their move which is why both universities are happy to ditch their 100 year old association with Stanford, California and the other schools which were with them in the original Pac-8 and join a conference where their nearest other opponent (Nebraska) is about 2,400 km from them and in another time zone.  There's a good reason why the saying "go big or go home" is prevalent in this part of the world.

Which is why we have 2 competitions and years of disruption and disagreement in the US , as I put earlier 

I don't know who's tracking what's going on over there and providing the updates for this thread but I'm always eager for news of USA/NARL developments.

Please keep them coming? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I don't know who's tracking what's going on over there and providing the updates for this thread but I'm always eager for news of USA/NARL developments.

Please keep them coming? 

Its hardly promising that there hasn't been anything on the NARL twitter for over 5 months. Obviously Toronto have made this statement, and its great to have them back in any form, but you'd really expect some meat on the bones from the NARL.

• Like 2

On 30/06/2022 at 21:52, John Drake said:

Right, just binned off 90% of this thread because it was either dredging up past arguments that have been done to death on here, or people just slagging each other off.

Let's start again.

If you have anything to say about the future of Toronto Wolfpack, as outlined in the opening post, feel free to discuss it here, in a calm and friendly manner, as befits TRL.

If you want to argue about what happened in the past at Toronto Wolfpack, there is literally an entire section of the forum for you to do that.

https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/forum/500-toronto-wolfpack/

Thank you for your co-operation.

Several more posts deleted.

The future, folks, the future.

This thread is about the future of the club, not the past, which as stated in my post above, is well catered for on here.

Thanks.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Several more posts deleted.

The future, folks, the future.

This thread is about the future of the club, not the past, which as stated in my post above, is well catered for on here.

Thanks.

Apologies John 

Great news and good to see the brand still alive albeit in a small way.

I am sick and tired of the anti Wolfpack comments having met David Argyle a couple of times at Wolfpack matches his enthusiasm for the game shone through,sad that covid put an end to the Wolfpack in SL something that no-one could have  envisaged.

Lets now just move on and all support RL expansion.

Paul

• Like 11

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

Please keep them coming? 

From what I can make out:

The IRL have done their review but it doesn't seem to have changed anything - the USARL and NARL are not talking and I doubt they ever will.

Cleveland have pulled out of NARL 2022/23, so it's now down to 4 clubs. Cleveland have not gone away, they are still working in schools for example. The fabled "Team 6" seem destined not to appear sadly.

There are 4 clubs playing in the USARL South (all Florida, including the Axemen).  

There is no active USARL North, some sort of nines comp/weekend maybe on the cards.

California RL has gone quiet but I think there are a few clubs stirring, including LA Mongrel who were expelled last year alongside the Barracudas for fighting.

Mutterings of maybe 4 clubs starting a comp in Utah - very big Samoan / Tongan population there.

British Columbia RL is up and running and playing games (6 teams I think).

Jamaica RL is up and running, they have 8 teams (including our own "Hyenas") and are well organised by Romeo Monteith. 

I think RL in USA struggles from a complete lack of strong central leadership plus zero funding, maybe there should be State RL or regional systems reporting to a single leadership team or something. There is plenty of interest, just nobody willing or capable of pulling it together which is why ad hoc things keep popping up and disappearing - bit of a mirror against British RL history I guess. 

• Thanks 3

I really hope TWP make a fist of their ressurection, but I honestly don't see much point in any new  country taking up RL.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political