Refereeing

Seeing the Halifax vs Barrow game and the bif that has made the headlines do you think the ref got it right?.

For me it's a no, Miloudi seems to have football dived his way to a one match ban after headbutting Worthington, Worthington defends himself and will get three game ban at least. And the most puzzling Gwaze may get a lengthy ban for picking up the "injured" Miloudi. This is a bad look for the refs of the game, it seems they are content with siding with the most theatrical player rather than logic. What is worse it seems they have handed out bans without looking at the footage, Miloudi headbutts Worthington and doesn't get penalized for it. I hope this is not a trend that continues through the leagues as we will be rewarding the player that makes the most of a situation rather than the right call.

• Like 2

There’s no need for Miloudi’s headbutt, there’s no need for Worthington to punch him and there’s no need for Gwaze to pick up Miloudi, no matter whether he was seriously injured or not. The decisions by the ref were correct. 

• Like 11

This one should be fun.

In the ref's defence he and his officials can only go on what they see not what players are thinking, there was no way any of the officials knew Miloudi wasn't injured so for Gwaze to pick him up like that has to be red, Worthington landed 2 or 3 full on punches on Miloudi's head, he could've been knocked out, Worthington has to see red for that. Miloudi went in with the head, whether it was an intentional headbutt again the ref cannot possibly know so gave a correct yellow card for it.

So to answer your question then Yes, by the rules of the game he has been given to uphold he absolutely got it right.

You can't referee games on hindsight or what if's.

• Like 8

Unfortunately we cannot ref the game like Brian Glover in Kes. The referee's role isn't to be a medical professional, and nor is it the players' role to provide a diagnosis. If someone goes down injured, that needs to be taken at face value until they get up or a medic has checked them out.

The ref did the right thing but it is an unfortunate look for the game.

• Like 7

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

12 hours ago, The Lad said:

Seeing the Halifax vs Barrow game and the bif that has made the headlines do you think the ref got it right?.

For me it's a no, Miloudi seems to have football dived his way to a one match ban after headbutting Worthington, Worthington defends himself and will get three game ban at least. And the most puzzling Gwaze may get a lengthy ban for picking up the "injured" Miloudi. This is a bad look for the refs of the game, it seems they are content with siding with the most theatrical player rather than logic. What is worse it seems they have handed out bans without looking at the footage, Miloudi headbutts Worthington and doesn't get penalized for it. I hope this is not a trend that continues through the leagues as we will be rewarding the player that makes the most of a situation rather than the right call.

Don't behave like complete two-hats on the field and don't get banned, it's simple really.

• Like 3

If you think that refereeing was bad (which is debatable) you should have watched Sutton in yesterday’s Panthers/Roosters game,now that was abysmal especially as he’s their golden boy & is likely to be a World Cup official.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

If you think that refereeing was bad (which is debatable) you should have watched Sutton in yesterday’s Panthers/Roosters game,now that was abysmal especially as he’s their golden boy & is likely to be a World Cup official.

That penalty he gave for basically a tackle when the Penrith player went over the tackler was utter farce, just so ridiculous. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

is likely to be a World Cup official.

Yes but if they’re going on form he shouldn’t be anywhere near . The NRL has always seemed a bit of a click in terms of getting the big reffing gigs 

• Like 1

The only criticism I have for the officials in the barrow game, is for failing to penalise Miloudi prior to Worthington retaliating. If they had managed the situation, and penalised Miloudi for the high shot, headbutt or the choke hold on the floor, would Worthington have reacted like he did? Probably not.

The biggest criticism should go to the disciplinary panel. Miloudi has form for this sort of behaviour and for feigning injury, so why did he only get a one match ban? My understanding is, the disciplinary panel takes previous misdemeanours into account when sentencing, yet not in this case.

Edited by Pride & Heritage
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Pride & Heritage said:

The biggest criticism should go to the disciplinary panel. Miloudi has form for this sort of behaviour and for feigning injury, so why did he only get a one match ban? My understanding is, the disciplinary panel takes previous misdemeanours into account when sentencing, yet not in this case.

Good point, unless they can't "prove" that, which is a shame. Players need to police themselves on cheating too.

15 hours ago, The Lad said:

How does one player know if another is “injured”, as you say, or not? If he’s on the deck then you don’t drag him up, simple as that. Even more so when he’s just taken a few whacks to the head, with the cuts and bruises to go along with it. 

4 hours ago, Pride & Heritage said:

The only criticism I have for the officials in the barrow game is not blowing it up prior to Worthington's retribution. If they had managed the situation and penalised Miloudi for the high shot, headbutt or the choke hold on the floor, would Worthington's reaction been the same? Probably not.

This is the best take of it on this thread. No problem with Fax 2 red cards but Miloudi should have been a red as well and it all could have been avoided by stronger refereeing. The fact is even when Worthington was standing up in a position to play the ball the ref had still not blown for any foul play and it was only after Worthington took matters in his own hands that the whistle went. We now lose 2 players for a combined nearly half of the season.

5 hours ago, dkw said:

That penalty he gave for basically a tackle when the Penrith player went over the tackler was utter farce, just so ridiculous. 

But he could have broke his neck.......I do agree though but to the letter of the law its a penalty and the defenders technique is shocking.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, The Blues Ox said:

But he could have broke his neck.......I do agree though but to the letter of the law its a penalty and the defenders technique is shocking.

He tackled around the legs,you’d better write a letter to all the kids coaches in the country & tell them they’ve been doing it wrong all these years.

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

He tackled around the legs,you’d better write a letter to all the kids coaches in the country & tell them they’ve been doing it wrong all these years.

I’d hazard a guess that most spear tackles are initially a tackle around the legs. It isn’t the initial tackle that’s the issue, it’s the way he flips him over his body in to a vertical position head first in to the deck. 

1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I’d hazard a guess that most spear tackles are initially a tackle around the legs. It isn’t the initial tackle that’s the issue, it’s the way he flips him over his body in to a vertical position head first in to the deck. 

Behave,the sport is in big trouble if you start penalising tackles like that.he didn’t flip the attacker who never went anywhere near the vertical.

4 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

How does one player know if another is “injured”, as you say, or not?

Full medical examination and, if he's shown to be OK, the opponent can pick him up.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

9 minutes ago, Griff said:

Full medical examination and, if he's shown to be OK, the opponent can pick him up.

It’s only a matter of time before a player picks up a player “faking” an injury and causes a serious injury to the injured player. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

I must be living in a parallel universe if Verrills did anything other than a standard textbook tackle 

There's really nothing textbook about that tackle.

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Ive wrote to myself. 🤣 I won't be showing any kids how to tackle like that any time soon.

• Confused 1

I have just caught up with the Penrith Roosters game.  The Verrils tackle was not textbook as he kind of folded up in front of the runner and was essentially crouched when he made the tackle.  Textbook would be to drive with the shoulder.

But while not a particularly well executed tackle, it was never a penalty as the ball carrier went over him rather than him putting the ball carrier into a dangerous position.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, LeeF said:

It’s only a matter of time before a player picks up a player “faking” an injury and causes a serious injury to the injured player. 

That's why a full medical assessment is essential.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"