Are you sure England is better then Samoa?

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's a good question, and I'd like to say no, as he did instil a level of professionalism which was welcome. But, he was also a wheeler dealer to an extent and on his watch plenty of controversial things happened too.

I don’t think he would’ve allowed the Bateman one to happen as that’s a clear choice by someone. We don’t know the ins and outs yet of the Knowles case but it looks like a #### up in process which I suppose could happen at anytime. 

Edited by bobbruce

20 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I don’t think he would’ve allowed the Bateman one to happen as that’s a clear choice by someone. We don’t know the ins and outs yet of the Knowles case but it looks like a #### up in process which I suppose could happen at anytime. 

A specific issue I had under the Lewis regime was when NZ called up Brent Webb for a mid-season test.  The RFL battled it and wouldn't release him.  Small minded decisions also happened under him. 

The detail may be wrong there,  it could have been Toopi or similar,  but it was a Leeds Rhinos Kiwi. 

Just now, Dave T said:

A specific issue I had under the Lewis regime was when NZ called up Brent Webb for a mid-season test.  The RFL battled it and wouldn't release him.  Small minded decisions also happened under him. 

The detail may be wrong there,  it could have been Toopi or similar,  but it was a Leeds Rhinos Kiwi. 

It is small minded but if it was outside an agreed international window and the club is putting pressure on. The RFL would have their hands tied on things like that. I’m sure though as you say plenty of small minded decisions also happen under him. 

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

If you think that the leadership of RL in this country had nothing to do with the decision to let Knowles off then you are being naive 

If they did, they did it in a very very strange way.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

17 hours ago, Mojo said:

Funnily enough what Tonga has in star forwards is what samoa has in the backs lol Junior Paulo and Nanai would make that Tongan monster pack but samoas main strength is in the back where only Tupou can make the samoan backs and maybe Talakai over Tago. It's definitely good to see the island nations so powerful this world cup.

I’d have Staggs over all Samoan centre options.

28 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

I’d have Staggs over all Samoan centre options.

Definitely not over To'o or Suali'i and maybe Crichton. Staggs is out of the World cup so that's why I didn't put his name down. In saying that would any kiwis forwards made the Tongan forward pack? I would have Tapine and Fisher-Harris. That Tongan forward pack on their day would be unstoppable.

13 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Jason taumalolo has just been given a 3 game ban he’ll miss the first two matches of the World Cup against png and wales.

That was way too harsh and it didn't even look intentional. Is that Taumalolos first suspension of year? If the cowboys we're playing in the final next week he would've only got a fined lol

6 hours ago, Mojo said:

That was way too harsh and it didn't even look intentional. Is that Taumalolos first suspension of year? If the cowboys we're playing in the final next week he would've only got a fined lol

Tonga have arranged 3 friendly games on 3 consecutive days when the get over here against 3 National conference teams😊

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Mojo said:

Definitely not over To'o or Suali'i and maybe Crichton. Staggs is out of the World cup so that's why I didn't put his name down. In saying that would any kiwis forwards made the Tongan forward pack? I would have Tapine and Fisher-Harris. That Tongan forward pack on their day would be unstoppable.

I said centre options so I’d have him over Crichton, Tago and whoever else personally. I wasn’t aware Staggs is out, when did that happen?

1 minute ago, jim_57 said:

I said centre options so I’d have him over Crichton, Tago and whoever else personally. I wasn’t aware Staggs is out, when did that happen?

I think he's been carrying the injury for most of the season. He went into surgery straight after the last game I think. I would pick him over Tago but Crichton it's even. Tonga's definitely gonna miss Staggs tho he's the x-factor in that backline

• Thanks 1

New Zealand are the team to beat, but Samoa and Tonga are dark horses. England and Australia are hit or miss since the last world cup. If any team other than Australia win it will be a good world cup, but if a team like Samoa win it could be great for the sport. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Lad said:

New Zealand are the team to beat, but Samoa and Tonga are dark horses. England and Australia are hit or miss since the last world cup. If any team other than Australia win it will be a good world cup, but if a team like Samoa win it could be great for the sport. 

I don’t think a team like Samoa or Tonga winning would be good for our sport. It would get slandered by union and soccer because a team with almost zero players actually from their country won the World Cup.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

I don’t think a team like Samoa or Tonga winning would be good for our sport. It would get slandered by union and soccer because a team with almost zero players actually from their country won the World Cup.

As long as the nation embrace it, like Tonga has with its sold out stadiums and street celebrations its great for the game. Then you add merchandise sold, people converted to the sport as players, fans or even just the fact more competitive nations is great for Rugby League.

Who cares what supporters of RU or Soccer think. You cant please everyone and those people in particular aren't the opinions we should be seeking approval or looking for validation from.

Tonga or Samoa winning the comp would be the result that gives the game the most positives. England after that because they need a boost.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

You either accept that this is a contrived competition with the amount of Aussie Nationals spread around the other teams to allow a WC competition containing multiple teams, or dismiss it if you feel so strongly against it, so don't come on here, don't watch the TV, don't read the game's editorial's it will only aggravate you, the alternative is to have player's playing for their place of birth, Australia would never ever loose another game again such would be their strength.

PS "What union think" did you not see all those 6'-8" inch white with round eyes boys playing for Japan!

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

You either accept that this is a contrived competition with the amount of Aussie Nationals spread around the other teams to allow a WC competition containing multiple teams, or dismiss it if you feel so strongly against it, so don't come on here, don't watch the TV, don't read the game's editorial's it will only aggravate you, the alternative is to have player's playing for their place of birth, Australia would never ever loose another game again such would be their strength.

First off all how would Australia never lose when New Zealand squad wouldn’t change at all. Secondly, Let me ask you a question in 10-20 years time do you really want our international to be still filled with heritage players. I’m fine with these pacific nations being strong in the short term but they have to learn to develop there own talent. If we want our international game to become a strong product it needs to have purity. In the 2019 rugby world cup almost 80% of all players where born in the nation they were playing for where as in the 2017 RLWC Only around 40% were, it’s not a good look for our game.

28 minutes ago, B rad said:

As long as the nation embrace it, like Tonga has with its sold out stadiums and street celebrations its great for the game. Then you add merchandise sold, people converted to the sport as players, fans or even just the fact more competitive nations is great for Rugby League.

Who cares what supporters of RU or Soccer think. You cant please everyone and those people in particular aren't the opinions we should be seeking approval or looking for validation from.

Tonga or Samoa winning the comp would be the result that gives the game the most positives. England after that because they need a boost.  

Agree nothing like a underdog story of a small nation putting together a strong team to win against all odds. Tonga we're the darlings of the last world cup imagine if they won it? I mean even ESPN was talking about the tongans in that world cup

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

PS "What union think" did you not see all those 6'-8" inch white with round eyes boys playing for Japan!

By the way I am not claiming for these nations to be 100% born and raised players. I was just want there to be some focus on talent actually coming from Tonga. Even around 5-6 players only would be very nice.

2 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

First off all how would Australia never lose when New Zealand squad wouldn’t change at all. Secondly, Let me ask you a question in 10-20 years time do you really want our international to be still filled with heritage players. I’m fine with these pacific nations being strong in the short term but they have to learn to develop there own talent. If we want our international game to become a strong product it needs to have purity. In the 2019 rugby world cup almost 80% of all players where born in the nation they were playing for where as in the 2017 RLWC Only around 40% were, it’s not a good look for our game.

There are more Heritage island people than the people who are island based. There's is nothing wrong with Heritage players. You need to get out of that of old school mindset of "they need to be homegrown" players to play for there nation. Rugby Union has no problem with it and I doubt any other sport would.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mojo said:

There are more Heritage island people than the people who are island based. There's is nothing wrong with Heritage players. You need to get out of that of old school mindset of "they need to be homegrown" players to play for there nation. Rugby Union has no problem with it and I doubt any other sport would.

That goes back to what I said before. If you they want to play for there heritage the should go play against the moari and indigenous teams. Where it would allow for even players who play for aus/nz to play for the heritage such as Payne Haas or Isaiah Papali’i. International rugby league always was always will be about playing for your ‘country’ not where you’re grandparents are from.