Are you sure England is better then Samoa?

6 minutes ago, Mojo said:

Haas for me is probably the best prop in the world without a doubt. Paulo is up there and so is Tino. Papali'i has lost a bit of step but his experience just like Bromwich is valuable for the forward pack. It should be one hell of a world cup if every game is competitive 

I agree that Haas is probably the best but Joseph Tapine, James Fisher-Harris are better than the other Samoan options while Nelson Asofa-Solomona is the perfect impact forward.

Then you have the Tongan middles like Addin Fonua-Blake, Siosiua Taukeiaho, Tevita Tatola and  Jason Taumalolo.

But I am no way discounting the England middles.  The likes of Alex Walmsley and Tom Burgess give nothing away to these big units while Mikołaj Olędzki and Luke Thompson are very mobile for big men.  Should be simply superb watching this World Cup. 

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 minutes ago, Mojo said:

Haas for me is probably the best prop in the world without a doubt. Paulo is up there and so is Tino. Papali'i has lost a bit of step but his experience just like Bromwich is valuable for the forward pack. It should be one hell of a world cup if every game is competitive 

Sorry but no chance Payne haas is the best prop in the world Tapine and fisher-Harris have been incredible this season and are both easily better than haas

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I agree that Haas is probably the best but Joseph Tapine, James Fisher-Harris are better than the other Samoan options while Nelson Asofa-Solomona is the perfect impact forward.

Then you have the Tongan middles like Addin Fonua-Blake, Siosiua Taukeiaho, Tevita Tatola and  Jason Taumalolo.

But I am no way discounting the England middles.  The likes of Alex Walmsley and Tom Burgess give nothing away to these big units while Mikołaj Olędzki and Luke Thompson are very mobile for big men.  Should be simply superb watching this World Cup. 

Forwards also needs a good spine to have momentum. And the Kiwis have one of the best spine out of those teams. Samoa has a untested spine which might go against them when they face the English. That first game is gonna be a cracker

4 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Sorry but no chance Payne haas is the best prop in the world Tapine and fisher-Harris have been incredible this season and are both easily better than haas

Tapine is in ridiculous form but I wouldn't say he's "easily better". If he sustains his form he may well be though. All are unbelievable talents.

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

The World Cup for ages was about  3 sides , and ultimately very predictable . This discussion shows how things have shifted . For the better . I’m not worried or frightened , just excited . I want every good player to turn up and every team to be as strong as possible 

• Like 4

Just now, DavidM said:

I’m not worried or frightened , just excited . I want every good player to turn up

OK.  I get me boots out from the back of the wardrobe.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

What Tapine is doing now is what Haas has been doing since he came into the nrl and he does it consistently. Tapine is the form prop this year. Haas is easily the best prop.

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

I’m changing my predictions immediately 

You don't even know which heritage nation I am putting my hand up for yet!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mojo said:

What Tapine is doing now is what Haas has been doing since he came into the nrl and he does it consistently. Tapine is the form prop this year. Haas is easily the best prop.

I agree with this.  The types of performances that Haas can knock out week in week out are immense.

5 minutes ago, Mojo said:

Wouldn’t agree, Tapine’s ball playing skills add a whole other dimension to his game which Payne haas doesn’t have. Also Tapine’s post contact metres have been incredible this season, almost every time he Makes a hit up he gains another 10 metres after contact and I can’t say the same about Payne Haas

11 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Wouldn’t agree, Tapine’s ball playing skills add a whole other dimension to his game which Payne haas doesn’t have. Also Tapine’s post contact metres have been incredible this season, almost every time he Makes a hit up he gains another 10 metres after contact and I can’t say the same about Payne Haas

Haas is averaging more post contact metres per game than Tapine this year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:
16 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Haas basically runs more average meters than Tapine right now. Tapines still the form prop tho but Haas is so good they just look at his game as a normal Haas game.

45 minutes ago, Mojo said:

Forwards also needs a good spine to have momentum. And the Kiwis have one of the best spine out of those teams. Samoa has a untested spine which might go against them when they face the English. That first game is gonna be a cracker

It's also very likely that England has an untested spine.

25 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Haas is averaging more post contact metres per game than Tapine this year.

Probably because tapine played less minutes at the start of season and has came of injured a few times early on in the game. But tapine is definitely averaging more pcm per carry which is all that really matters.

Edited by SydneyRoosters

5 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Probably because tapine played less minutes at the start of season and has came of injured a few times early on in the game. But tapine is definitely averaging more pcm per carry which is all that really matters.

Tapine has played 20 games to Haas 15 games this season

7 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Tapine has 304 carries and 1,369 post contact metres so an average of 4.5 post contact metres per carry.

Haas has 255 carries and 1,255 post contact metres so an average of 4.9 post contact metres per carry.

So, Tapine is not averaging more pcm per carry - Haas is.

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Tapine has 304 carries and 1,369 post contact metres so an average of 4.5 post contact metres per carry.

Haas has 255 carries and 1,255 post contact metres so an average of 4.9 post contact metres per carry.

So, Tapine is not averaging more pcm per carry - Haas is.

Fair enough.

Tapine’s still better though in my opinion 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Fair enough.

Tapine’s still better though in my opinion 

That's a very fair opinion.  He is the form prop in the competition, no doubt, and a pity he has picked up an injury. 

I just think Haas performs week in week out to such a high standard and over several seasons - and for an underperforming Broncos outfit as well over the last couple of years where he still manged to stand out.

If I were picking a 17 to win any game or a squad to play a season I would start with Haas in the front row.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The problem with alot of these pacific islands is the play makers or the lack off. I dont think Eng is overlooking them but i feel that england might get the job done. And england also has players radley hastings Mcqueen to count on so thats my input

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The problem with alot of these pacific islands is the play makers or the lack off. I dont think Eng is overlooking them but i feel that england might get the job done. And england also has players radley hastings Mcqueen to count on so thats my input

16 minutes ago, Quinn said:

Unfortunately for England they have samoa in their pool and they have the strongest halves out of the island nations. They're not elite but they can do the job to set up there big forwards and set up a good system to lead the team around. Luai is a solid 6 who has most of the panthers backline with him so the combination is already there. Milford hasn't really set the world on fire but he's been solid with what he has to play with at Newcastle. Chanel Harris-Tevita is also another good playmaker. And than you have options in Mason Lino or Tyrone May from the Super League. Like I said they're not elite halves but they're halves that can do the job samoa. Samoa does need a good 13 and fullback tho

12 hours ago, Mojo said:

Unfortunately for England they have samoa in their pool and they have the strongest halves out of the island nations. They're not elite but they can do the job to set up there big forwards and set up a good system to lead the team around. Luai is a solid 6 who has most of the panthers backline with him so the combination is already there. Milford hasn't really set the world on fire but he's been solid with what he has to play with at Newcastle. Chanel Harris-Tevita is also another good playmaker. And than you have options in Mason Lino or Tyrone May from the Super League. Like I said they're not elite halves but they're halves that can do the job samoa. Samoa does need a good 13 and fullback tho

Might be worth partnering Lino and Luai in the halves, putting May at 13, and shifting the Milf back into the #1 jumper?

10 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

Might be worth partnering Lino and Luai in the halves, putting May at 13, and shifting the Milf back into the #1 jumper?

Starting lino and milford at the same time will create alot of hole on the defensive end. I prefer Milford over Lino easily. He has experience and he'll work with a much better squad than he did with the knights team