No not misspelling Rovers but the car fuel type 

The massive MPG they advertise (150 plus!)....is that purely based on average with the 'free' first 30 miles of electric powered miles chucked in? 

I.e. if I drive 170 miles on the M1 but have no electric left so it is purely petrol is the mog back down to a normal 45mpg or so?

Like most of us I'm considering changing fuel types! With regular 350 round trip weekends I need to get cost down. Any car suggestions on best running costs MPG etc? I need something big but not too fussed on make it even if it's a 4x4 or saloon type car- just need the size (e.g.  Mondeo or Kia sorento sized) and am happy second hand up to about £30k

They’re on-paper fantastic things but if you’re doing over the battery range then they’re horrible as the efficiency is pants as you’re lugging the car and the now dead heavy batteries around with you. 

I had a Mitsubishi Outlander as a lease car and liked winding people up with these pics, but was always honest with folk who wanted to buy one. This pic was at the end of a 26 mile journey when the petrol engine just kicked in  

E7CCA38D-A523-41BE-A71F-5EA77B760F9F.jpeg

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On the second hand question. Wouldn’t touch one with a barge pole unless very well treated and no more than a couple of years old. 

The batteries, y’see, this is new tech with expensive to replace stuff. It’s not your old diesel or petrol engine that’ll last for a couple of decades with care. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, ckn said:

They’re on-paper fantastic things but if you’re doing over the battery range then they’re horrible as the efficiency is pants as you’re lugging the car and the now dead heavy batteries around with you. 

I had a Mitsubishi Outlander as a lease car and liked winding people up with these pics, but was always honest with folk who wanted to buy one. This pic was at the end of a 26 mile journey when the petrol engine just kicked in  

E7CCA38D-A523-41BE-A71F-5EA77B760F9F.jpeg

The Outlander is one on my list. So after the battery is dead what is the mpg at say 70mph ?

1 hour ago, ckn said:

On the second hand question. Wouldn’t touch one with a barge pole unless very well treated and no more than a couple of years old. 

The batteries, y’see, this is new tech with expensive to replace stuff. It’s not your old diesel or petrol engine that’ll last for a couple of decades with care. 

You wouldn't touch a PHEV car or an electric one?

24 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

You wouldn't touch a PHEV car or an electric one?

Probably both as used.

I would love an electric one, but only new, on lease where it goes back and not my problem. 

26 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The Outlander is one on my list. So after the battery is dead what is the mpg at say 70mph ?

I never really assessed that. My max range on a full battery and tank was 280 miles. I was seriously into reserve fuel when I hit the service station at Washington on the A1 driving from south Suffolk. Proper max efficiency driving at 70mph. 

It annoyed me as my current car, a 16 year old BMW can do 600 miles at a push on a full tank with only motorway driving.

If you’re using a PHEV for commuting under 30-40 miles and can charge at work then it’s a great option. Way cheaper than petrol/diesel. For motorway mile grinds, nope, not good. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ckn said:

I never really assessed that. My max range on a full battery and tank was 280 miles. I was seriously into reserve fuel when I hit the service station at Washington on the A1 driving from south Suffolk. Proper max efficiency driving at 70mph. 

It annoyed me as my current car, a 16 year old BMW can do 600 miles at a push on a full tank with only motorway driving.

If you’re using a PHEV for commuting under 30-40 miles and can charge at work then it’s a great option. Way cheaper than petrol/diesel. For motorway mile grinds, nope, not good. 

I got around 35mpg in my outlander when the battery was gone

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/07/2022 at 14:08, ckn said:

Bought an estate diesel in the end....65mpg on motor miles to the Commonwealth games event with family this week 

Going to revisit the electric thing in 3 years 

• Like 1