Chris thorman

7 hours ago, Town blue white said:

Yes I believe so 

It's so strange at the length of his contract, I've never known a coach in a semi pro club getting one like this, also can anyone name the present clubs board of directors,  

2 hours ago, The Voodooguru said:

Tony Smith is available maybe he would like to get reacquainted with the blue dolphin...

🤣I think superfish is a better option. 🎣🎣🎣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JMB said:

It's so strange at the length of his contract, I've never known a coach in a semi pro club getting one like this, also can anyone name the present clubs board of directors,  

He probably got a 3 year contract because of the excellent job he done to get us promoted last year.

I can name the board of directors and chairman but they are also on the clubs website if you want to look them up.

• Like 1

Always have been always will be the pride of West Cumbria!

All fans are frustrated ATM and I know the buck stops with the coach but as I put on a other thread it may be a culmination of things that have lead to the current situation. Possibly could have done with another season rebuilding in L1. Then once up there was less time than other clubs to recruit and I'm guessing  a limited budget for the championship.  Not a recepie for success really but it is what it is. I probably get jumped on for this but I'd stick with him back down in L1. 

• Like 4

We have to be realistic as well and our better players who can cut it at this level will take the opportunity if offered to stay in this league and we will have to again go local as the funding for league 1 isn't very good next season.

The only thing I hope is the likes of blain marwood, postelthwaite will come back down the road to us and the other guys who have gone back to the allerdale clubs too.

As much as folk call forber he would happily put his hands up and play on too as he bleeds blue and white next year even at 47 year old or whatever he is. 

Was meant to be retired now but still has a go every week.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, town4me said:

All fans are frustrated ATM and I know the buck stops with the coach but as I put on a other thread it may be a culmination of things that have lead to the current situation. Possibly could have done with another season rebuilding in L1. Then once up there was less time than other clubs to recruit and I'm guessing  a limited budget for the championship.  Not a recepie for success really but it is what it is. I probably get jumped on for this but I'd stick with him back down in L1. 

I agree with that.

I think we went up a season early. Then with being promoted through the play offs we missed a month of recruitment and a lot of players had already signed for clubs.

We all know that we miss a couple of big forwards but maybe they weren't any available or not within budget.

Chris has brought a lot to the club and should be backed to continue the progress that has been made on and off the field.

You see it in football when a manager does a great job to get a side promoted and then gets the sack shortly into the season. Lets not make the same mistake and back the man who we all were praising back in October.

Yes its tough getting beaten like we are at the moment but a lot is to do with confidence and lets be honest some teams who are far superior to our current squad.

He can only coach so much but in my opinion some players simply arn't good enough.

Keep the faith and keep supporting the club. 

Edited by GETEMONSIDE
  • Like 7

Always have been always will be the pride of West Cumbria!

42 minutes ago, GETEMONSIDE said:

I agree with that.

I think we went up a season early. Then with being promoted through the play offs we missed a month of recruitment and a lot of players had already signed for clubs.

We all know that we miss a couple of big forwards but maybe they weren't any available or not within budget.

Chris has brought a lot to the club and should be backed to continue the progress that has been made on and off the field.

You see it in football when a manager does a great job to get a side promoted and then gets the sack shortly into the season. Lets not make the same mistake and back the man who we all were praising back in October.

Yes its tough getting beaten like we are at the moment but a lot is to do with confidence and lets be honest some teams who are far superior to our current squad.

He can only coach so much but in my opinion some players simply arn't good enough.

Keep the faith and keep supporting the club. 

Agree Chris has brought a lot to the club especially last season, but for me and quite a few fans around me we are going backwards, the performances just aren't there, whether that's to do with the team giving up or not its up to Chris to get the best out of them and that isn't happening. I don't mind losing week in week out but it's the manner in which we are losing. His team selection has been questionable at times, defence weak and attack non existent. 

We have nothing to lose try something different and put your money where his mouth is and drop some of the non performers. 

12 hours ago, havenhater said:

We have to be realistic as well and our better players who can cut it at this level will take the opportunity if offered to stay in this league and we will have to again go local as the funding for league 1 isn't very good next season.

The only thing I hope is the likes of blain marwood, postelthwaite will come back down the road to us and the other guys who have gone back to the allerdale clubs too.

As much as folk call forber he would happily put his hands up and play on too as he bleeds blue and white next year even at 47 year old or whatever he is. 

Was meant to be retired now but still has a go every week.

Marwood etc won't come back while he's there  Never got game time. I think Bickerdike is next

• Like 1

I don't buy we were to late to sign players, we should have been talking to players before the season ended just on the slight chance we got promoted. 

• Like 2

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

7 minutes ago, anok4u said:

I don't buy we were to late to sign players, we should have been talking to players before the season ended just on the slight chance we got promoted. 

I think that argument stood up initially at the start of the season but when were hearing it used as an excuse in June, when others managed to recruit when needed far quicker/easier, it gets harder to stomach.

9 minutes ago, Town utd said:

I think the club should be sorting the squad out now for next season, what ever happens, sign everyone who Chris wants to keep and start bringing in local players .

Preferably with some size

there's two ways of looking at this - this year has without doubt been an absolute disaster, in fact it probably couldn't have gone much worse - BUT, and its a big but - it has shown the club's directors, coaching staff and supporters just how far behind the pack Town have fallen in the last few years and has been a real wake up call for everyone, but it does give an opportunity to press the 'reset' button and move forward with a creditable plan.

In my opinion (for what it's worth):

• it's shown that Derwent Park is not fit for purpose in the modern era, and severely limits the matchday and non-matchday income that Town need in order to be a sustainable club
    Hopefully the new stadium will help rectify this and also attract new supporters for an improved matchday experience

• that the policy of 'building a local squad' just won't work as there isn't a big enough player pool in West Cumbria to support to pro clubs
    Realistically this problem is going to get a lot worse unless more people take up the sport. There are things the club could do, ie: try and appoint a liaison officer to work with CARL and West Cumbria Youth and put on coaching days or implement off season training programmes for coaches and players alike, but there is no quick fix and for the foreseeable future I can't see local players making up more than 33% of future Town squads - which leaves 20 players to find out of a 30 man squad !!

• Overseas recruitment
    The club have a limited budget, but the reality is we need to recruit overseas players - how this is done in the modern era is above my pay grade as I don't know what hurdles / minimum wage etc are required for work permits - but signing quality overseas players in critical positions - stand-off/loose/full back etc and packing out with average players would still give us more potential than we have now. 
    Surely we can find someone who lives in Auz and New Zealand who could identify up and coming players or lads who haven't quote made the cut at NRL level

26 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

there's two ways of looking at this - this year has without doubt been an absolute disaster, in fact it probably couldn't have gone much worse - BUT, and its a big but - it has shown the club's directors, coaching staff and supporters just how far behind the pack Town have fallen in the last few years and has been a real wake up call for everyone, but it does give an opportunity to press the 'reset' button and move forward with a creditable plan.

In my opinion (for what it's worth):

• it's shown that Derwent Park is not fit for purpose in the modern era, and severely limits the matchday and non-matchday income that Town need in order to be a sustainable club
    Hopefully the new stadium will help rectify this and also attract new supporters for an improved matchday experience

• that the policy of 'building a local squad' just won't work as there isn't a big enough player pool in West Cumbria to support to pro clubs
    Realistically this problem is going to get a lot worse unless more people take up the sport. There are things the club could do, ie: try and appoint a liaison officer to work with CARL and West Cumbria Youth and put on coaching days or implement off season training programmes for coaches and players alike, but there is no quick fix and for the foreseeable future I can't see local players making up more than 33% of future Town squads - which leaves 20 players to find out of a 30 man squad !!

• Overseas recruitment
    The club have a limited budget, but the reality is we need to recruit overseas players - how this is done in the modern era is above my pay grade as I don't know what hurdles / minimum wage etc are required for work permits - but signing quality overseas players in critical positions - stand-off/loose/full back etc and packing out with average players would still give us more potential than we have now. 
    Surely we can find someone who lives in Auz and New Zealand who could identify up and coming players or lads who haven't quote made the cut at NRL level

We are already around half the match day squad of travelling players, in my opinion we need a lot less but pay more to get quality in the right areas. I really bought into Chris Thormans strategy last year when he seemed to be trying to develop young long term players, short term deals once a season has started is just asking for long term trouble 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, anok4u said:

Players wouldn't sign until they knew what league a club was gonna be in and you couldn't offer a player championship wages incase you then ended up staying in L1.

Edited by town4me
  • Like 3

Town have some great local talent, must build a team for the coming years around obrian,Fitz,Henson,I would defo get marwood back next year playing outstanding for barrow island, also like people have already said ,buy quality if players are traveling from down the m6.

with a limited budget you have to be prepared to pay more for key players, you can afford to have lads who, what they lack in skill they make up for in enthusiasm if you have a skilful player calling the shots and telling them where and when to run you can make a bang average player look good.

Danny Brough did it for years - creative player telling his team mates where and when to run!

But as we know identifying those players and getting them is a completely different issue as there is a severe shortage of the type of player who can carry a team.

Chris Thorman now knows the challenge ahead what's required to build a competitive squad and he will know deep down whether he's the right man for the job and it will be testament to his character if he stays (unless he gets pushed by the BOD).

This season is a right off, there's no chance of pulling players in to a bottom feeding club, so I think we have to 'hope' that there's an awful on of work going on behind the scenes NOW to identify players to challenge for the League One title next season.

A wholesale clear out may help, but not until we have replacements! 

Edited by Death to the Rah Rah's

Let’s not forget Chris is on a full time wage… what is he doing to justify his wage. He has to be accountable for the results, this is his side. He never wanted a big pack. He’s mismanaged a lot of players which has left the squad down to the bare bones which then kills morale. I feel the club need a new direction and I don’t think Chris is the way to go especially with his track record with locals. I don’t agree with being late to recruitment either, you identify your targets early on and do what it takes to get them 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GETEMONSIDE said:

I agree with that.

Keep the faith and keep supporting the club

Sadly he hasn't fetched anything this season to the club, just some poor players not fit for this league, and only admitted that after Sundays game, he has chased some good local lads who could have been the back bone of the club in the future,

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Town67 said:

Let’s not forget Chris is on a full time wage… what is he doing to justify his wage. He has to be accountable for the results, this is his side. He never wanted a big pack. He’s mismanaged a lot of players which has left the squad down to the bare bones which then kills morale. I feel the club need a new direction and I don’t think Chris is the way to go especially with his track record with locals. I don’t agree with being late to recruitment either, you identify your targets early on and do what it takes to get them 

Thorman in my opinion is a good coach, unfortunately you hit the nail on the head, pointing out he is a full time in a part time semi pro setup and probably having other expences attached to his job, house, car, fuel etc.

With all these costs to consider it reduces the amount of money that is available for recruitment of players. Team success is all about money.

• Confused 1